PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M die!

TexasGrunt
03-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Optics Planet delivered me a .38/.357 M die today, just three days after I ordered it.

It's the first time I've ever used one and man are they a slick little die. No more shaving lead, bullets are seating straighter.

Now if I could just fit one on my Dillon 650 with the low powder sensor.

Motor
03-11-2017, 07:09 PM
I haven't used one for pistol caliber yet. Any decent mouth flare will prevent shaving but the M die is very nice at preventing the boolits from tipping over which does cause shaving if your flare is not big enough.

Dillons are very popular on the ARCOM reloading forum and those guys are fighting the same problem as you. The M die makes the progressive's run so much smoother when seating flat base .223 J-word.

I've had very little dealings with Optics Planet. Was kind of skeptical of the weird name at first but I find myself shopping there more and more. ;)

Motor

sawinredneck
03-11-2017, 07:23 PM
There's a guy on evilbay selling, what he calls, "M" die powder funnels for the Dillon presses. I don't know enough about them to say it's the same or not, but he has pics and I'd be curious as to how they work.

308Jeff
03-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Love the M dies.

TexasGrunt
03-11-2017, 08:23 PM
There's a guy on evilbay selling, what he calls, "M" die powder funnels for the Dillon presses. I don't know enough about them to say it's the same or not, but he has pics and I'd be curious as to how they work.

Off I go to eBay!

dragon813gt
03-11-2017, 08:29 PM
They're still made for jacketed bullets and don't provide optimal bullet tension. Yes, they do work. But custom plugs or NOE's universal die system is the way to go.

BK7saum
03-11-2017, 11:39 PM
I have had custom M-die spuds made by members here to fit my cast boolit sizes. But your right, the factory m-dies are typically too small for cast boolits. They may flair to avoid shaving lead, but the expander portion doesn't open the case enough to avoid swaging of my softer boolit alloy by the case neck when seating.