PDA

View Full Version : Slick Fifty

copdills
07-07-2008, 07:48 AM
a while back on another forum there were some guys talking about running patches down the barrel of their guns with slick fifty any one here tried this , they were saying it helps with fouling and lead contamination :coffee:

Boerrancher
07-07-2008, 08:50 AM
I can see how it would help for the first shot or two with black powder, be it a front stuffer or a BP cartridge, but I don't see the usefulness of it if your boolits are properly lubed, and fit the bore properly.

Most leading is not caused by friction on the bore or a rough bore. It is caused by the hot gases of burning powder blowing past the cast boolit because the boolit does not fit the bore properly. Those gases melt the sides of the boolit and the molten lead solders itself to the inside of the bore. If a cast boolit has been properly lubed and fits well this cutting/soldering will be kept to a minimum or even non-existent. (see threads about shooting un-lubed cast boolits.)

After the first or second shot most of the Slick 50 has been burnt off so it would be necessary to re-apply it. I don't see the advantage of it, but I could be wrong. I am curious as to what others here say. I have posted my thoughts on it but am more than willing to defer to the majority opinion.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Newtire
07-07-2008, 08:52 AM
After I wrote this I realized tonight (a day later) that I was thinking of STP & not slick 50! Brain Fart....

I use it on the slide rails of my .22 auto & M-1 Karabeen by wiping it in with a bit of cotton off a Q-Tip until it is nothing but a thin coating. I also use it on the cylinder pins of 4-revolters I have and never have em get sticky on me anymore.

I would be curious to hear about the bore coating also. I'll give it a try next weekend & see if it makes any difference. I don't get leading anyway with Lar's, Felix Lube, or LLA that I use.

07-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Could it be that they were refering to clean up and not range prep? I'm interested in it's use to clean with and store with. Never used it yet but plan on it someday.

jonk
07-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I would also caution that shooting a gun with any oil or solvent in the bore can lead to a ringed barrel. I did it myself. I believe slick 50 is supposedly one of those that penetrates the metal. If so it may work like Kroil in lifting out crud but I don't see how it would help after a shot or two and it has burnt off any that was on the surface.

copdills
07-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for your input, I thought about trying it but thought I better check here for more input

Trailblazer
07-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I use a lube made from Slick 50 grease, parafin, beeswax and STP. It works good but it is dirty. I suspect that is because of the STP. It is a recipe I got from a top pistol silhouette shooter years ago.