PDA

View Full Version : Colt .45 case sizing?

hc18flyer
03-11-2017, 12:31 AM
I am using a friend's set of older Hornady Durachrome dies. My fired cases seem to be sizing awfully Hard? Been using Imperial wax on every third one or so, works better. Is there any reason I can't back off the sizing die, as long as they chamber easily in my Ruger BH, and I get good bullet tension when Seating? Seems like I am overworking my Brass? Thanks, hc18flyer

Der Gebirgsjager
03-11-2017, 12:42 AM
Gee...I dunno. I use a RCBS Rockchucker, and Lee sizing lube that comes in the tube. I lube each case. Not completely all around, just a swipe on each figuring that some stays in the die and it gets spread around. Sizing is almost effortless. That's with the RCBS die, which is an older one. If I use the Lee carbide sizing die I don't use any lube at all, and it doesn't require much more effort. I follow the directions for initial die adjustment which is to screw it in until it touches the shell holder.

C. Latch
03-11-2017, 12:52 AM
If you're using a non-carbide die, you need to lube every case.

C. Latch
03-11-2017, 12:53 AM
But to answer your other question, yes, assuming your cases chamber easily, you don't have to size any more than is needed to get good tension.

hc18flyer
03-11-2017, 12:55 AM
I was thinking the Durachrome was similar to my other pistol 'carbide' dies, must not be the case. I think I will try backing off some and see how they load and chamber.

C. Latch
03-11-2017, 12:57 AM
I have some old durachrome dies but they're all rifle calibers. I think they're just chrome-plated. Not carbide.

6bg6ga
03-11-2017, 01:05 AM
Sounds like their not carbide dies. Lube them all.

MT Gianni
03-11-2017, 01:08 AM
If you look up SAAMI specs you see that the 45 colt is a tapered case. I believe case life and accuracy will be better with steel dies but you need lube.

scattershot
03-11-2017, 10:49 AM
As pointed out above, Durachrome dies are chrome plated steel, not carbide, so you need to lube every case. That should take the effort out of it. I wouldn't worry about overworking your brass.

Char-Gar
03-11-2017, 11:12 AM
The topic of 45 Colt case sizing is one that touches a nerve in me. Carbide dies do overwork the brass, unless you get one of those high dollar dual ring dies from Redding.

I use old RCBS steel dies that produce a loaded round with the same dimensions as factory ammo and size the case far less in the process. I just purchased another set last night on Ebay that looks to be new or almost new with the box and papers. The letter date code is "M", which makes these 1961 dies. This was before the days of jacketed bullets and the expander will be .451 which is right for cast bullets. The entire 3 die set cost me $19.00. These great dies get passed by, as folks turn up their noses, if the die is not carbide these days.

psweigle
03-11-2017, 11:35 AM
you need to lube every case. you can back off the die as well.i dont think you need to worry about overworking the cases.

USSR
03-11-2017, 07:21 PM
If you look up SAAMI specs you see that the 45 colt is a tapered case. I believe case life and accuracy will be better with steel dies but you need lube.

Actually, SAAMI specs for the case are straight, however the SAAMI specs for the chamber are tapered. Go figure. In any case, once fired they are tapered. Like Char-Gar, I use RCBS steel dies for the .45 Colt so as not to overwork the brass.

Don

Scharfschuetze
03-11-2017, 09:01 PM
I am using a friend's set of older Hornady Durachrome dies. My fired cases seem to be sizing awfully Hard? Been using Imperial wax on every third one or so, works better. Is there any reason I can't back off the sizing die, as long as they chamber easily in my Ruger BH, and I get good bullet tension when Seating? Seems like I am overworking my Brass? Thanks, hc18flyer

My experience with 45 Colt chambers is that they are usually larger than what the case specs are. Bore diameters were reduced some time ago from something like .454 to the current .451 or so. Unfortunately, the chamber dimensions don't seem to have been reduced at all so you have a bit of mis-match and results, as noted above, in excessive sizing of the case.

As a result, I just neck size (to the depth of the bullet shank) almost all of my 45 Colt cases. I've never had an issue chambering these cases, even after multiple reloads. Perhaps if loading "magnum" level ammo, you'd need to FL size, but for most shooting, I think that neck sizing might be a solution to your issues.

At one time I thought that accuracy would improve a bit with these neck sized rounds, but it usually remains a constant, whether fired in a rifle or a revolver.

Carbide FL dies work very well for neck sizing and after loading, the cases have almost a 44/40 appearance, which gives you an idea of how much 45 Colt cases are sized down by the average FL die. I use RCBS dies with complete satisfaction, although I do use an M Die for expansion of the neck for cast bullets, particularly bullets at .454" diameter.

hc18flyer
03-11-2017, 09:45 PM
The Hornady dies have a good expander mandrel that bells the case nicely for my .452 sized cast boolets. Thank you for your replies, I plan to put them into practice tomorrow. Tom

Ken in Iowa
03-12-2017, 12:06 PM
Dad and I shoot a lot of 45 Colt in Cowboy Action. After reading a lot of great posts on the subject by members like Scharf and Char Gar, i ponied up and bought Redding dual-ring sizers for 45 Colt and 38 Special.

No regrets!

Char-Gar
03-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Neck sizing 45 Colt cases to save cold working the brass will work, IF the reloaded ammo is used in the same revolver in which it was fired.

I have three revolvers in 45 Colt. 1) A 1921 Colt New Service 2) A Ruger New Model Blackhawk and 3) A Ruger Lipsey 45 Flattop. Here is how it works out with neck sized brass;

1. Brass fired in the Flattop will work in all three revolver.
2. Brass fired in the NMBH will work in the New Service but not in the Flattop.
3. Brass fired in the New Service won't work in any other revolver.

This is the reason, I use an older RCBS steel sizer and do not neck size. I want ammo that will work in all revolvers.

jonp
03-12-2017, 01:09 PM
I use old Lyman All American dies. Lube every case with a swipe and they size pretty easily. Don't and you will about get one stuck as I found out the hard way. I also found out that Hornady One Shot does not cut the mustard with larger cases. With these I use my own lube or Imperial Wax.

gnostic
03-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Long colt cases are a mystery to me, last fall I had one come out of the cylinder in three pieces. The case in question was relatively new and loaded with 7.5 grains of unique with a 255 grain cast bullet.

Char-Gar
03-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Long colt cases are a mystery to me, last fall I had one come out of the cylinder in three pieces. The case in question was relatively new and loaded with 7.5 grains of unique with a 255 grain cast bullet.

What is "relatively new", how was it sized and what revolver was it fired in?

Larry Gibson
03-12-2017, 07:23 PM
I also NS using a Hornady new dimension carbide die just as Scharfschuetze mentions. I have 2 Uberti revolvers made about 25 years apart and a Uberti M1873. The NS'd cases work fine in all three guns regardless of the one they were previously fired in. I shoot a Lee 200 RF over 7.3 gr Bullseye for 950 fps out of the revolvers and 1200 fps out of the M1873 carbine.

I have measured the psi (M43 Oehler) of that load numerous times in a Contender test barrel. PSI runs 13,500 - 14,000 which is the SAAMI MAP for the 45 Colt. If you are shooting a stouter load then you may run into the "one gun" chambering for NS'd cases as Char-Gar mentions. It all depends on how much the case is expanded during firing. Less psi also works the cases a whole lot less the same as not over sizing them during loading.

The cases have been fired numerous times with the mentioned load w/o any chambering problems so far. However, I do imagine eventually they will require FL sizing. I may then just use the Hornady Carbide sizer or might just get one of the slick Redding sizers........

Larry Gibson

Sakoluvr
03-14-2017, 11:01 AM
I have a Redding dual ring FL sizer die than is slick as owl snot. What gives me fits is the Lee Universal expander die. I use a custom NOE plug for loading my .455 cast. The plug feels like it it wants to stay stuck in the brass. My M die is configured differently and does not move on the stem unlike the "free floating" plug in the Lee.

Did a bunch of Google searches, and it is a common problem. I am going to try spraying One Shot on/in the brass and see if that helps. Going to stand the brass in a cookie sheet and angle spray down from both sides. I normally use Imperial for a lube but used to use the One Shot in the same manner. Hope it helps.

Char-Gar
03-14-2017, 01:05 PM
I have a Redding dual ring FL sizer die than is slick as owl snot. What gives me fits is the Lee Universal expander die. I use a custom NOE plug for loading my .455 cast. The plug feels like it it wants to stay stuck in the brass. My M die is configured differently and does not move on the stem unlike the "free floating" plug in the Lee.

Did a bunch of Google searches, and it is a common problem. I am going to try spraying One Shot on/in the brass and see if that helps. Going to stand the brass in a cookie sheet and angle spray down from both sides. I normally use Imperial for a lube but used to use the One Shot in the same manner. Hope it helps.

I expand 45 Colt case necks one of two ways. My 1962 RCBS expander is .451 and that works fine with .452 bullets. I also use a pair of Lyman 310 expanders, in adapter in my press. The Lyman 310 expander for 45 ACP is .452 and for the 45 Colt is .454. These are both of the M type and neither drag on the case necks. These three expanders get the loading done for me with no issues.

yeahbub
03-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Durachrome are good quality dies BUT YOU MUST LUBE THE CASES. I have a set of Durachrome dies in .45 ACP and the cases definitely need to be lubed or you may gall some brass onto the die wall which will increase with each case sized into a knot of brass scarring each subsequent case and stick with a demonic tenacity which may require an excorcism to successfully remove. My favorite, cheapest, easiest, simplest case lube is ordinary store-brand vegetable pan spray coating on a bit of paper towel. Garlic or plain, your choice. Wiping a twist of it on the forward half of the case makes sizing almost effortless and removal is just a s easy. Some on a cotton swab around the inside lip of the case mouth will also ease belling the case. As others have noted, sizing only the part of the case which grips the boolit plus a bit more will help to prevent unnecessary working of the brass. I've also used it as paper patch lube for testing purposes and minute quantities for swaging bullets.