PDA

View Full Version : Help with 45 Colt 310 LBT Loads

94Doug
03-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Has anyone loaded this combo? When I use the existing crimp groove, the loads seem to long to seat in the cylinder. Is the solution just to seat back further, or buy another pistol in .454? Any suggestions for powder and amount? I was going with 10gr of Unique which I felt would be moderate to moderate heavy.

Thanks in advance
Doug

Greg S
03-27-2017, 07:06 AM
You could always trim a couple of old cases back to get and idea then trim 50 or so. Granted, I never liked that work around myself either but it would get you by. It sould as if that mold has a miscut crimp grove. Ahem,.to save ya some money, you can send it my way and I'll dispose of it for you. : ) Always wanted to try and LBT mold.

DougGuy
03-27-2017, 07:42 AM
I would NOT use 10gr Unique under that boolit! Unique is much too fast for a heavy for caliber boolit.

You also cannot stabilize this boolit at target velocities, you will be needing to push it with LilGun, 2400, H110, W296, AA#9 etc..

What gun are you using this with?

RobS
03-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Has anyone loaded this combo? When I use the existing crimp groove, the loads seem to long to seat in the cylinder. Is the solution just to seat back further, or buy another pistol in .454? Any suggestions for powder and amount? I was going with 10gr of Unique which I felt would be moderate to moderate heavy.

Thanks in advance
Doug

When in the cylinder, does the loaded round's nose of the boolit stick out the cylinder? Is this what you mean by seems to long to seat in the cylinder? Or is the diameter of the boolit larger than your cylinder throats and the loaded round not go all the way into the cylinder?

Paul105
03-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Here's an interesting thread created by David Bradshaw on Lee Martin's Single Action website.

I've used this technique quite a bit over the last decade in a Freedom Arms M97 (short cyl) with great success.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/13603/david-bradshaw-photos-vol-xl

FWIW,

Paul