PDA

View Full Version : Help with WW ID

Ateam
03-10-2017, 08:35 PM
I just finished sorting my first two buckets of WW, and came across something I could not ID. A picture is worth a thousand words, so take a look.190196
It is sort of spongy like a very dense heavy foam, maybe a stick on of some type?
And just for kicks here is a break down of the buckets by weight.

total -173
coww -134
soww -12
steel -28
zinc -4
bucket x4 -5

Pretty good yield for what I was expecting from reading here. And the best part, .17 a lb.

TexasGrunt
03-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Junk. Not good for anything.

lightman
03-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Its a composite weight. Its not useful to us as casters. You got a good yield out of that haul!

Ateam
03-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the ID guys! I was tempted to try to melt it down in a crucible, but figured it had as much "binder" in it as anything else.

leebuilder
03-14-2017, 12:18 PM
They are handy around the shop. As long as they are clean they can make sweet nonmarring vise jaws. They grip screws and small stuff without damage.

bullseye67
03-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Good morning, HAPPY PIE!!!
They are a composite. I have used them as a "semi-hard" surface to pound on. If I have something I don't want to mark and it doesn't sit nice to tap out a pin. I wedge them around to stabilize the rock and roll. Also as vice jaw liners, and shims under table legs...... anywhere you might need a non-marring dense plastic that resists compression.....being "free" they are a disposable commodity.

308Jeff
03-14-2017, 12:56 PM
You got a good yield out of that haul!

Boy I'll say! I'd be grinning from ear-to-ear with a percentage like that.

Ateam
03-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Those are my first two buckets, but from what the guys at the tire shops have said, they don't use anything but lead in their shops and most of their customers are return business. Pretty soon here if spring ever decides to visit Northern Michigan, I should have a flood of wheel weights from people swapping out their snow tires.

lightman
03-15-2017, 08:36 PM
You better take those guys at that shop some donuts or something! That would be a great source to have.

Ateam
03-16-2017, 06:01 PM
I was pretty surprised that no one was collecting their weights, they just said sure we will give it a try. I try to be as easy to deal with as possible.
-I bring a dolly and a scale
-know the scrap price before I show up
-bring a replacement bucket with my name and number on it
-have enough of the right bills so they dont have to go to the till to make change
-dont show up during the lunch rush hour

I think bringing a box of donuts once in a while would be a great idea to keep the silver stream flowing, thanks lightman.

308Jeff
03-16-2017, 06:29 PM
I was pretty surprised that no one was collecting their weights, they just said sure we will give it a try. I try to be as easy to deal with as possible.
-I bring a dolly and a scale
-know the scrap price before I show up
-bring a replacement bucket with my name and number on it
-have enough of the right bills so they dont have to go to the till to make change
-dont show up during the lunch rush hour

I think bringing a box of donuts once in a while would be a great idea to keep the silver stream flowing, thanks lightman.

I haven't stopped at a tire shop in over a week. I feel weird.

dbosman
03-18-2017, 06:40 PM
I cast sinkers and take a batch with me when I'm lead shopping. Donuts won't fit in my pocket.