PDA

View Full Version : SAECO Sizer Parts

Rich/WIS
03-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Bought an old SAECO-Cramer sizer off a forum member and am in the process of cleaning it up and trying it out. Noticed the spring was full of old lube and cleaned it up, but the seal is a loose fit in the reservoir. Wondering where to get parts, the SAECO-Redding website did not have anything and their search function did not help.

M-Tecs
03-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Call them at:1089 Starr Road
Cortland, NY 13045
Phone (607) 753-3331
FAX (607) 756-8445

Rich/WIS
03-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Thanks, didn't think of that (happens when you get old).

Bent Ramrod
03-11-2017, 09:06 AM
I have an old pre-SAECO Cramer that also gets lube all over the spring by the time the piston is bottomed out and it's time for a refill. I just scrape the spring off with a spatula and wipe it off on the edge of the lube reservoir, add another stick, insert the plunger assembly, and continue sizing and lubing. It looks messy, but it isn't actually much lube; maybe 5% of the stick at most, from full to empty.

The piston on mine is pretty tight, but some lube always manages to escape this way. I can still size and lube with the machine, so I haven't bothered to do anything about it. I'd be interested to know if the new Redding parts fit yours and do a better job of sealing.

In theory, of course, the spring tension should allow for the lubrication of "X" number of boolits before the lube handle has to be turned again. Mine is full of black powder lube, which is "squishier" than the normal Alox/Beeswax types, so I can't crank the spring to full tension without an eruption of lube out of the die. So in practice, the lubrisizer works like the Lyman 45, requiring a quarter-turn of the lube handle for every boolit or two.

Do you run yours under full spring tension? How many boolits can you lube before you have to turn the handle again?

Rich/WIS
03-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Just got it, haven't used it yet. Problem was so much lube was in and over the spring it took me a while to figure out where the spring was that everyone talked about. I use XLOX 2500 so will be interesting to see how it works. Clamped it down to work on it and first impression is it seems awkward to use, maybe just used to the lever in front Lyman 450. Also seem to take more force but that may be a function of reaching out to the side for the lever. If it doesn't do it for me it will make a nice Xmas gift for someone getting into casting.

Rich/WIS
03-15-2017, 09:45 AM
UPDATE: Called the nice people in NY and the gentleman I spoke with is sending me another washer at no charge.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Just got it, haven't used it yet. Problem was so much lube was in and over the spring it took me a while to figure out where the spring was that everyone talked about. I use XLOX 2500 so will be interesting to see how it works. Clamped it down to work on it and first impression is it seems awkward to use, maybe just used to the lever in front Lyman 450. Also seem to take more force but that may be a function of reaching out to the side for the lever. If it doesn't do it for me it will make a nice Xmas gift for someone getting into casting.
I wanted to reply earlier, but couldn't find the photo...I found the photo and posted it, in our Newest "vintage" forum.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?330164-First-post-quot-random-photos-of-your-old-stuff&p=3986046&viewfull=1#post3986046

Anyway, I also find the side lever action of the Saeco (and Herters and Ideal #1), awkward.
I had a Saeco and a Herters...and sold both, I still have the #1
I mount a board on my bench, so I can mount the #1 at 90º, making it more user friendly for me.