PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into reloading and want to make sure I'm doing this stuff right

asmith80
03-10-2017, 11:37 AM
So as the title suggests, I'm getting back into reloading after taking a break for a few years. I used to reload primarily rifle before and since I took it back up, I'm finding myself reloading 9mm more than anything else, so I have a little experience in general, but not specifically to pistol ammo. Please bear with me with my newbie problems :D

I've burned through my supply of FMJ 9mm bullets with no issues and have been wanting to get into loading lead bullets for the price. I'm mostly reloading for plinking and some local IDPA matches, so I'm not really concerned with power factors or pushing the envelope of what I can do with my handloads. I've got a small supply of Acme 124gr. RN (coated) and Bayou Bullets 125 gr. TCG (coated).

I'm having a little trouble with the lead bullets in one of my pistols. For the Acme bullets a COL of 1.06 passes the plunk and spin test and chambers and functions fine in my CZ-75 SP-01, Hi Power and Glock 17. For my M&P, I can't seem to get it to plunk and spin or chamber reliably (doesn't go into battery, really need some force to eject the stuck, unfired round). If I seat the bullet (dummy round) to something like .90" it will plunk and feed fine, but that seems way too short and dangerous.

For the Bayou Bullets, 1.095 COL works for all the handguns except the M&P, and again, loading it short enough to work also seems short enough to be unsafe.

Anybody have any advice with these bullets, loading for the M&P, or just in general?

I'm using 4.8gr. of Power Pistol while I'm still getting used to using lead bullets, thinking that the light load will help keep me a little safer while I work out the kinks of using lead bullets

Wayne Smith
03-10-2017, 11:43 AM
More than likely your M&P has no throat and this is causing the problem. If you want your boolits to load and shoot you need to get it throated by DougGuy. He did my 45's and now everything loads and shoots.
Since you are new to the site do a search for DougGuy's posts. You will be impressed.

asmith80
03-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Is it common for factory pistols to not be throated? I thought that was a pretty standard procedure

rintinglen
03-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Factory guns tend to be made with 9mm hardball in mind. They don't need to be throated for that and it saves a little money, which helps give the maker a leg up in competition with its rivals. However, that money they save makes trouble for us, who want to use cast boolits. The sharp shoulder between the chamber and the barrel can play havoc with the slightly larger boollits that work better when cast is used. It may be possible to find a cast boolit whose profile allows you to use it without issue, but a better solution is to have the leade of your barrel smoothed and lengthened so that the barrel is not scraping the bullet.

I heartily recommend Doug Guy for this work. He did a cylinder for me and his work is absolutely 1st rate. His prices are very reasonable.

dverna
03-10-2017, 02:04 PM
I believe Wayne has nailed it. The other option is try a shorter bullet 115gr?

asmith80
03-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll be sending a few barrels Doug's way