PDA

View Full Version : Primer catcher tray for a Pacific Super Deluxe

SARuger
03-10-2017, 08:48 AM
Well the title says it all, I need one. The web has let me down :-(

I just bought this press and I am doing a full restoration on it. I plan on putting it into service as a decapper mainly, along side the Pacific C that I use as a bullet puller.

I'm sure I could make something but I like original stuff when I can find it.

SARuger
03-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Maybe I can make one out of fiberglass?

.455 Webley
03-10-2017, 06:20 PM
I have been looking for one for mine for a while. Have you found a good picture of one?

44Vaquero
03-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Having been made of plastic they are few and far between. A unicorn of sorts?190178

They do show up from time to time on E-bay, as the wedge does also.

SARuger
03-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Having been made of plastic they are few and far between. A unicorn of sorts?190178

They do show up from time to time on E-bay, as the wedge does also.

Man look at that wedge! Like a hens tooth! I can make them but I can't make them look original

Pressman
03-10-2017, 11:02 PM
Just in case you get lucky, this is what you are looking for. It just slips over the top of the ram. Works OK though a bit awkward to get off when full.

I just stumbled upon this one yesterday, pure chance. It will go with the Super Deluxe and OD Green Super I brought home with it.

The OD Green Super completes my collection of Pacific presses. There is only one more out there, a one off, 100% bronze Standard press from the early 1930's. I spotted it on eBay 12 years ago and didn't have deep enough pockets at the time. Someday, maybe, it will turn up again.
Ken

SARuger
03-11-2017, 12:45 AM
Just in case you get lucky, this is what you are looking for. It just slips over the top of the ram. Works OK though a bit awkward to get off when full.

I just stumbled upon this one yesterday, pure chance. It will go with the Super Deluxe and OD Green Super I brought home with it.

The OD Green Super completes my collection of Pacific presses. There is only one more out there, a one off, 100% bronze Standard press from the early 1930's. I spotted it on eBay 12 years ago and didn't have deep enough pockets at the time. Someday, maybe, it will turn up again.
Ken

Very Nice Ken!

I will keep looking but I'm probably going to hand fab one out of fiberglass.

Mk42gunner
03-11-2017, 12:48 AM
This is probably a long shot, but Hornady might have a new one in stock.

If you call and they do have one, I recommend buying a lottery ticket that day; you might not have used up all of your luck.

Robert

Big Tom
03-11-2017, 08:37 AM
If you can give me the dimensions of the tray, I can 3D print you one.

SARuger
03-11-2017, 08:41 AM

That would be awesome! I don't have one though. Maybe someone that has one could do this but I don't know how to reverse engineer oddly shaped things like this.

Pressman
03-11-2017, 12:40 PM
I'm with SARuger, I don't know how to measure a round think with lots of odd angles. Help?

Ken

.455 Webley
03-11-2017, 01:54 PM

If this works out would you mind making one for me also?

Big Tom
03-11-2017, 08:04 PM
Not a problem, once I have the design, I can make them rather easily. Regarding the dimensions, the easiest option would of course be having an original catcher that fits and simply copy it... but I get it :-)

Second option would be somebody sending me the press (will of course be returned) and I will take needed measurements myself.

Third option would be sending me the best measurements you can come up with, I print something "pretty close" in a plastic that can be heated to about 100F and then pressed into the final form.

If this works out would you mind making one for me also?

Mk42gunner
03-12-2017, 12:26 AM
Let me look around, it might take a few days, but I think I have a broken primer catcher. It had a big crack so it didn't actually catch primers, but it should work for a pattern; if, big if, I can find it.

No guarantees, it might have gotten thrown away in the last fifteen years.

Robert

Big Tom
03-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Robert - great! If you can find it, let me know!!

Here are the dimensions I would need to get started:
1.) Diameter of the round part that houses the ram
2.) Distance from the edge of the round part to the inner edge of the frame
3.) Distance the priming assembly attachment piece is sticking out
4.) Height of the priming assembly attachment piece
5.) Distance from the bottom of the priming assembly attachment piece to where the lower slot begins
6.) Width of the frame where the upper slot ends
7.) Distance from end upper slot to begin lower slot

If you can get me that all in mm (metric), that would be great (calipers normally can be easily switched between inches and mm).

SARuger
03-12-2017, 10:31 AM

1.) Diameter of the round part that houses the ram
2.) Distance from the edge of the round part to the inner edge of the frame
3.) Distance the priming assembly attachment piece is sticking out
4.) Height of the priming assembly attachment piece
5.) Distance from the bottom of the priming assembly attachment piece to where the lower slot begins
6.) Width of the frame where the upper slot ends
7.) Distance from end upper slot to begin lower slot

If you can get me that all in mm (metric), that would be great (calipers normally can be easily switched between inches and mm).

This is awesome! I will help in any way I can. I will even ship Big Tom the press body. I have mine disassembled right now for restoration

Pressman and others that have Pacific presses, will the same catch tray work with the Pacific C? The two presses are very similar in the frontal area, the C is different.

If so, I'll take two!

retread
03-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Big Tom, put me on the list. I sure could use one also. Probably have some interest if you put them on ebay I would imagine. I know I have been looking there.

Jay

Big Tom
03-12-2017, 10:22 PM
Sounds good - I'll make as many for you guys here as you want / need and then try ebay - but first, I'll need either the measurements or a sample (defective/broken would be fine) :p

Mk42gunner
03-12-2017, 10:45 PM
All I can say is don't get in a great big hurry; I have been sick this weekend, and my cold is turning into stomach flu.

I'm about 40% certain that I still have the broken primer catcher, but I do not remember throwing it away. If I can find it I will mail it to Big Tom.

Robert

Pumpkin
03-12-2017, 11:47 PM
Big Tom, put me down for one, too. Been looking for one for years.

Wayne Smith
03-13-2017, 08:00 AM
Please put me on the list, my Bair looks to be an exact copy of the Pacific.

Pressman
03-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Numbers

1.) Diameter of the round part that houses the ram 45mm
2.) Distance from the edge of the round part to the inner edge of the frame 12.25mm
3.) Distance the priming assembly attachment piece is sticking out 17.25mm
4.) Height of the priming assembly attachment piece 32.25mm
5.) Distance from the bottom of the priming assembly attachment piece to where the lower slot begins 40.0mm
6.) Width of the frame where the upper slot ends 57.6mm
7.) Distance from end upper slot to begin lower slot 27.5mm

Trying the catcher on various Pacific presses revealed that it will fit the early Super, the early Standard, the Super Deluxe and aluminium frame Standard.
It is a snap-on fit that is dependent upon the size of the real hole or opening. The opening must be small enough to allow the end user to open it up just enough to fit his press. Each model requires a slightly different size opening. Generally it is the bottom of the opening that needs fitting.
The rear strap of the catcher snaps behind the raised portion of the frame the ram slides through. This is not on the Standard presses but a snug fit along the sides and bottom will hold the catcher very secure, individual fitting is necessary.

Looking at the catcher picture in my early post the upper flange is 101.70 mm wide
The lower body is 86.75mm wide.
It is 32.5mm front to back.
It is 52.75mm deep measured along the side.
It is 45.5mm deep measured at the front center.
Overall diameter is 99.5mm.
Material is 1.9mm thick.

I can provide more pictures and measurements if needed. Please PM me with your email address to facilitate communication.
Ken

Big Tom
03-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all that info - I'll need a day or two to get it into the cad software and will share design renderings here when ready.

brody
03-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Big Tom
Please put me on the list. Been looking for one for 2 years.
Jim

wv109323
03-15-2017, 10:23 PM
Big Tom and all,
I have one with my press. I would not care to send it out as a pattern. Of course I would need it back and I would probably need a spare. PM me if you this is an easier route to go. Then Big Tom I would not care if you wanted to sell them.

Big Tom
03-16-2017, 07:03 AM
Sent you a pm with my contact information - having an original would be the easiest way to get all dimensions correct!

Btw. - Thanks a bunch to Ken for sending me all the measurements and some pictures! That was a great help already!

SARuger
03-16-2017, 08:22 AM
Big Tom and all,
I have one with my press. I would not care to send it out as a pattern. Of course I would need it back and I would probably need a spare. PM me if you this is an easier route to go. Then Big Tom I would not care if you wanted to sell them.

Thanks for doing this!

And Big Tom, put me in for two and let me know how much they cost!

Big Tom
03-16-2017, 09:17 PM
I will sell them at cost but need to have the final design to be able to tell the exact cost. I think it will be between $7 and $9 for the plastic plus shipping.

Thanks for doing this!

And Big Tom, put me in for two and let me know how much they cost!

SARuger
03-17-2017, 05:12 AM
I will sell them at cost but need to have the final design to be able to tell the exact cost. I think it will be between $7 and $9 for the plastic plus shipping.

I can handle that!

.455 Webley
03-21-2017, 06:31 PM
Sounds like a deal. Mark me down for one when you get them up and running.

Big Tom
03-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Got a press here now and wv109323 was going to mail me the factory catcher he has. Once I got that, it should not take more than a week to get the design copied and some catchers printed.... will post updates here.

SARuger
03-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Got a press here now and wv109323 was going to mail me the factory catcher he has. Once I got that, it should not take more than a week to get the design copied and some catchers printed.... will post updates here.

Awesome! Can't wait!!!!

Mk42gunner
03-26-2017, 11:16 PM
I'm glad someone else had a catcher you can use, I cannot find mine.

I would like to get on the list for one of your newly made ones though, I kind of like using the old C frame press.

Robert

Big Tom
04-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Got the first attempts done - slightly different than the original, but fits the press nicely. Am now printing one with a plastic tube attachment at the bottom, so the primers can be collected in there (no need to remove catcher anymore).

I even got the sticker copied :-)

192427 192428

.455 Webley
04-02-2017, 02:50 PM
That sure looks good. Now i will have to restore my press so it will look as good as the primer tray.

SARuger
04-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Got the first attempts done - slightly different than the original, but fits the press nicely. Am now printing one with a plastic tube attachment at the bottom, so the primers can be collected in there (no need to remove catcher anymore).

I even got the sticker copied :-)

192427 192428

That is just awesome!!!!

Wayne Smith
04-12-2017, 12:27 PM
Anything more on how to get one? I don't need the sticker for mine!

TNsailorman
04-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Big Tom, I don't currently have a Pacific Super but I can see one in my future. Please put me down for one(Blue please) when you start making them. Send me a cost when you decide on the price and I will send payment to you--before or after you make mine. james

LUBEDUDE
04-14-2017, 01:46 AM
I'll take one as well.

Big Tom
04-14-2017, 04:44 PM
I have a (hopefully) usable version ready and will ship that an the original back to wv109323 (thanks again for letting me have it for a while!!). It does not fit 100% as tight around the ram as the original, but trying to make it tighter would make it impossible to put it on (the material I have is not flexible enough to allow that). But a little bit of foam should fix that easily. On the positive side, I have added a tube adapter to it, so no need to remove the catcher anymore after it has been installed, the spent primers collect in the tube, which can be emptied in place.

Once I got the feedback if that version works on the press (and probably doing some final changes), I can start "mass" production for whoever wants one.

... and some pics of what I got...
193269 193270 193271 193272 193273

Mk42gunner
04-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Big tom, that looks great. I wish someone had thought of installing a tube for drainage fifty years ago, just imagine how many messes that would have prevented.

As for the gaps, I don't think they will be a big deal; I am used to using duct tape to modify the supposed catchers on most of the presses I have used.

Robert

SARuger
04-15-2017, 07:28 AM
I can't say it enough, this is awesome! Can't wait to get mine!

.455 Webley
04-15-2017, 10:16 AM
I keep my press mounted to a 2 by 6 and clamp it to my backyard table in the summer months. But i never size and deprime on this press as i don't want to have a yard full of spent primers and a toddler picking them out of the grass to eat. This catch tray will let me soak up some more of the short Wisconsin summer. Thanks!

Pressman
04-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Big Tom, that catcher can be used on all the early Pacific presses. It may take a bit of whittling the opening to make it work. A too small opening is better than a too large one. Your product looks great.
Ken

Big Tom
04-16-2017, 08:37 AM
I actually have a small slot in the back to give it some more flexibility when putting it on - without that slot, it was almost impossible to put it on at all.

On a side note - when I ship them, I will not put the stickers on as I don't want to run into any legal issues with that. However, this is the picture I used to print them (in case you want to download to print it yourself, click on it, then on the large version, right click and pick "save image as" - on windows machines).

In case anybody here has his/her own 3D printer and would like the .STL file to print it, shoot me a pm and I'll share it.

SARuger
04-16-2017, 09:58 PM
I actually have a small slot in the back to give it some more flexibility when putting it on - without that slot, it was almost impossible to put it on at all.

On a side note - when I ship them, I will not put the stickers on as I don't want to run into any legal issues with that. However, this is the picture I used to print them (in case you want to download to print it yourself, click on it, then on the large version, right click and pick "save image as" - on windows machines).

In case anybody here has his/her own 3D printer and would like the .STL file to print it, shoot me a pm and I'll share it.

I will pay extra for the sticker! I have no way of printing it short of going to a sign shop and getting it done. I would think any patents or copy-writes are expired on anything Pacific but then again, I'm no lawyer!

wv109323
04-19-2017, 01:52 PM
i am the person who sent Tom an original primer catcher to copy. I received back a finished product along with the original. It seems he did an excellent job and made improvements as well.

Big Tom
04-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Thanks wv109323!

I have the first few catchers printing and already reached out to SARuger and Wayne Smith. Whoever else would like one or two or more, please send me a pm. Cost will be $8.50 for the catcher and $5 for the shipping.

In case you use Paypal, please add your shipping address to the comment field.

i am the person who sent Tom an original primer catcher to copy. I received back a finished product along with the original. It seems he did an excellent job and made improvements as well.

Wayne Smith
04-22-2017, 07:50 PM
Thanks, Tom. Got it today, it snapped right onto my Bair. I knew it was the same or close to the same casting as the Pacific - and it fits perfectly.

Big Tom
04-23-2017, 07:20 AM
Great! Thanks for letting me know! In case anybody wants one, I can always print more - feel free to spread the word (will take a few days though). Will keep the price for forum members here as it is ($13.50 shipped) and also put it on my website ( https://www.primercatcher.com/shop1 ) but at a higher price.

Thanks, Tom. Got it today, it snapped right onto my Bair. I knew it was the same or close to the same casting as the Pacific - and it fits perfectly.

gwpercle
04-23-2017, 08:27 PM
Since 1972 I've been using a cardboard box under my Pacific Super Deluxe to catch primers and NOW I can get a primer catcher.....$13.50 shipped , thanks Tom.

SARuger
04-23-2017, 09:28 PM
Since 1972 I've been using a cardboard box under my Pacific Super Deluxe to catch primers and NOW I can get a primer catcher.....$13.50 shipped , thanks Tom.

I have a feeling this is going to be a big seller for Tom! I plan posting pics everywhere and send him some business.

Big Tom
04-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Thanks for your nice comments! Glad I could help!

SARuger
04-24-2017, 08:11 PM
I got mine today! Very nice and fit just fine! I will post pics when I get a chance, probably tomorrow night.

.455 Webley
04-25-2017, 05:27 AM
I got mine this past weekend. It looks and works great. Showed it to a friend who knows more people who need one.

SARuger
04-27-2017, 05:29 AM
The "C", this is my collet puller press, the catch trey will be handy when I drop a bullet which I often do.

This is my Super Deluxe, which I'm not using at the moment, I'm waiting on the new universal shell holder ram to come in for it.

Big Tom, you do great work! I will have more pics to post up this weekend here and other sites, and I will link you in the pics so other Pacific owners can get their catcher as well!

Big Tom
04-27-2017, 07:14 AM
Nice! Thanks again for the kind words, I am glad it fits and works as it should!

LUBEDUDE
04-27-2017, 11:20 AM
PM sent

Pumpkin
04-27-2017, 10:40 PM
Big Tom; Got my primer catcher today. Perfect fit and works like a charm. Good job, keep up the good work.

TNsailorman
04-28-2017, 03:33 PM
I got my Pacific and RCBS primer catchers from Big Tom and they are first rate. I also bought a press from him. By the way, everything was packaged very securely, he knows how to package. If you have one of the Pacific presses, Big Tom is the way to go for a primer catcher. Thanks Tom, james

TNsailorman
04-28-2017, 04:35 PM
I just put the RCBS Rock Chucker II primer catcher on the press. It fits better than the original--no gaps. thanks Tom, james

Big Tom
04-30-2017, 07:16 AM
Thanks James! Yes, the ones for the RC IV/Supreme and RC/RC II work pretty good. I used one on my RC IV for about 2.5 years now and with reloading in the basement, no more complaints from the wife about primers on the floor :p That alone was worth spending the time to design it.

mattd
01-03-2019, 01:33 AM
Is this still available? Exactly what I need!

44Vaquero
01-03-2019, 11:33 AM
mattd, here is his link: http://www.primercatcher.com/shop1/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=60

dale2242
01-04-2019, 09:11 AM
Big Toms primer catchers are truly awesome.
I only wish they had been available 50 yrs ago...dale