PDA

View Full Version : What say you H & R 45-70

old06
07-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Just would like some in put I seen a new H & R 22 inch barrell with scope base for 225 out the door I have one of there old 410's but haven't picked up one in a while let alone shoot one lets here the good, bad and ugly. The reason is they open up the muzzleloader season to these here in Louisiana and I may get the itch for one

montana_charlie
07-06-2008, 09:52 PM
The reason is they open up the muzzleloader season to these here in Louisiana and I may get the itch for one
Are you saying that you can (now) use cartridge rifles during the 'muzzleloader' season?
CM

old06
07-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Are you saying that you can (now) use cartridge rifles during the 'muzzleloader' season?
CM

yep its got to be 38 cal and larger and single shot

07-07-2008, 12:18 AM
I like the H&R .45-70. Shot some BP cartridges with it and it was fine. Like all others, you got to play with it to see what it likes. 500gr Lee worked.

OldBob
07-07-2008, 06:07 AM
Grab it ! Thats a good price and most everyone that has one in 45-70 likes it. I have 3......... just in case of a buffalo attack. They shoot very well for a rifle in that price range, only thing you may need/want to do is clean the trigger up a bit. They are normally pretty heavy, there are very explicit instructions on the net for doing your own trigger job if you are so inclined. A word of caution though.... they can be addicting........ there are a whole lot of different caliber barrels available and you really need them all.......

montana_charlie
07-07-2008, 08:58 AM
CM
yep its got to be 38 cal and larger and single shot
Well, you can buy factory-loaded 38-55 and 45/70 ammo made from smokeless and jacketed, so I bet there's no requirement for black powder...or BP substitutes...anymore.

That leaves me wondering why they still call it 'muzzleloader' season...
CM

07-07-2008, 09:23 AM
P.S. If you don't buy it, post the nameandaddress of the gun shop. I might be interested in a second one. Heck that price is so good, it would be worth the hassle of FFL fees, postage, and all the rest.

218bee
07-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Good price, pick it up you can't go wrong and if you practice reloading black for it you WILL get your deer this year

old06
07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, you can buy factory-loaded 38-55 and 45/70 ammo made from smokeless and jacketed, so I bet there's no requirement for black powder...or BP substitutes...anymore.

That leaves me wondering why they still call it 'muzzleloader' season...
CM

They now call it primitive weapon season what ever that is, there just trying to sell hunting licenses for a special season

Bob

old06
07-07-2008, 11:48 AM
P.S. If you don't buy it, post the nameandaddress of the gun shop. I might be interested in a second one. Heck that price is so good, it would be worth the hassle of FFL fees, postage, and all the rest.

I’ am retired USAF and the base exchange (Barksdale AFB) has been carrying guns for over a year they have the best prices and no tax ..........you have to have a military ID to get in and buy

Bob

JSnover
07-07-2008, 12:25 PM
They now call it primitive weapon season what ever that is, there just trying to sell hunting licenses for a special season

Bob

Same thing around here. caliber .38+ and single shot qualifies you as a primitive hunter, even if your firearm has a synthetic stock, stainless barrel, inline ignition with pre-formed pellets, jacketed bullets and a variabe scope. To each his own, I guess.
Good luck with yours. You won't beat that price and it's a pretty decent rifle.

Junior1942
07-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I’ am retired USAF and the base exchange (Barksdale AFB) has been carrying guns for over a year they have the best prices and no tax ..........you have to have a military ID to get in and buy

BobBob, my brother bought one a couple of weeks ago in Jena, Louisiana, for $250. I thought that was a good deal, but yours is even better--buy the dang rifle!!!

Don't get the 32" barrel because it's too long to easily use in the woods. The 22" is perfect.

old06
07-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Bob, my brother bought one a couple of weeks ago in Jena, Louisiana, for $250. I thought that was a good deal, but yours is even better--buy the dang rifle!!!

Don't get the 32" barrel because it's too long to easily use in the woods. The 22" is perfect.

Junior ...............I've talked myself into it, I had to twist my arm hard but I'll heading back to the base next week and snag one they had 5 in the back room.............Junior did you see my response to your camp site thread