PDA

View Full Version : Making a Perfect Powder Measure Accurate and Stopping The Leak

bbogue1
03-08-2017, 09:05 PM
The first time usingmy Lee Perfect Powder Measure was a bit of a disaster. I useWinchester 321 – a small flattened ball powder. I load for 9mm and38 Special. Which means I don't use a great volume of powder forreach case. At first I tried to simply tighten up the mechanism. Even though I had tightened the screw on the left side quite tight itstill leaked powder and was inconsistent in delivery. A littleinternet search revealed in the body section there are two halvesthat should mate perfectly. When they do mate perfectly there are novoids allowing powder to collect in the body. Voids in that area arethe cause of leaking and erratic measures. I

I took the bodyapart and when looking inside I saw two large voids near the edge ofthe mating surfaces. Obviously those voids harbored powder so whenthe lever was up they collected powder then dropped it when the leverwas in the down position. I knew lapping would smooth out the matingsurfaces. Using red jewelers rouge mixed with a little dab of oliveoil. I put some on the two mating surfaces and pinching the bodytogether began to work the lever. After about a half hour it becameapparent I needed to apply motor power.

The screw going intothe side plate was the answer. I found a longer screw with the samethreads and diameter and a nut. This gave me the ability to use myelectric screw drive as my power source.

I cleaned up themating surfaces with alcohol, mixed up more lapping compound, appliedit to the mating surfaces, pinched the body together and turned theinternal assembly quite rapidly. Yes, heat was developed and I wasdealing with soft plastic so I stopped every minute or so to let itcool off. I kept checking those voids, too.
Around the voidsyou'll see the mating surfaces are in contact, especially around theedge where the leak occurred.

I cleaned it up withalcohol and reassembled the PPM . I added powder and tried it out. Still leaked a little, but, no where near what it had been before. After another round of lapping it does not leak and throws veryconsistent loads. PERFECT!

blikseme300
03-08-2017, 10:04 PM
Nice write-up and job well done. The satisfaction of fixing things is priceless, IMHO.

racepres
03-09-2017, 08:37 PM
I have had mine for more than 15 years...I don't remember if it leaked when new...I do remember running Motor Mica thru it before I ever used it...I still use it as much as either my old Pacific, or my quite new Redding...Some powders are better for individual Measures..
I do alot more Volume charges nowdays...so the measures don't get very much use...