PDA

View Full Version : Magazine cleaning

Doc1
03-08-2017, 05:02 PM
A lot of folks recommend that magazines be disassembled for cleaning after every match or if carried, every two or three weeks. I find that too frequent disassembly is not only a PITA (and I HATE flying floorplates, springs and followers!), but can cause premature wear. My cleaning hints are two methods I use that do not require disassembly. The first is to clean the mags in a small bucket of diesel. Just swish them around in the diesel and then leave them to dry overnight in an upside down position. The second method is even simpler, but is a bit more expensive. I find that automotive spray brake cleaner (NOT carb cleaner!!!) works great for both cleaning mags and firearms. Most of these are sold with a small straw that lets you direct the steam into small areas of a firearm or the witness holes in magazines. The brake cleaner dries a lot quicker than the diesel, but like I said, it's more expensive. Now, I can't swear that diesel or brake cleaner won't hurt any of the finishes or plastic components on every single firearm out there, but I haven't had problems on mine.

I started using the diesel method decades ago after I watched the South African Army and police dumping whole M2 .50 machine-guns into 55 gallon barrels of diesel to clean them. It's pretty good at dissolving powder residue and old, dirty oil and does leave a little residual lubricant. After cleaning, detail lube the firearm with your favorite oil or spray lube. I have a shelf full of various proprietary gun lubes and a gallon of .mil CLP my son gave me, but mostly I just lube with premium automotive synthetic motor oil.

Best regards
Doc

bob208
03-10-2017, 09:38 PM
I went to the brake cleaner after I took a star mag apart never again.

contender1
03-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Serious match competitors,,, who are sponsored shooters do a lot of constant maintenance to assure them of guns that perform. MANY wannabe top shooters feel they need to do the same,,, and I can agree that in a serious match,,, it can be one of those things that makes sure you don't have mechanical issues costing you a match.
I shoot USPSA,,, and I know a lot of shooters who are as anal as you mentioned. I am also former military,, where a clean firearm can mean life or death. But the extent competitors use can be a bit overboard,, and the military method of diesel soaking & all has been a proven method of how to speed up cleaning a dirty gun. We used it with my M-60's off my Huey as well.

Soaking & drying will do a lot. Brake cleaner is also excellent on most firearm parts. But the OCCASIONAL disassembly & deep cleaning & inspection is also a good idea.

dverna
03-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Another method would be to place the mags in an ultrasonic cleaner with mineral spirits. I use that method to clean the receiver on my K80 trap guns. It leaves a bit of lubrication on the parts put not excessive.