PDA

View Full Version : fixing a barrel or breech face

norems
03-08-2017, 03:49 PM
working on a win 1906 22 lr. gun will not remove the spent case. the spent case is very tight in the chamber after firing. get the case out with screw driver and needle nose and check dimensions. starting from the rim .230, half way 228, near bullet 226.
Nice gun hate to reline the barrel, would like to discuss other possible fixes.

Boolit_Head
03-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Sounds more like a extractor issue.

country gent
03-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Several areas to look at I can think of off the top of my head. Some of these rifles were fired with corrosive 22 Short ammo and may have a ring at the point of the shorts case mouth in the chamber that's grabs and holds the brass. Another is if it was dry fired some the firing pin may have put a small ding on the edge of the barrel creating a burr on the edge of the chamber that holds the case in place, I have seen this more on pistols but it dosnt hurt to look. As mentioned above check the extractor but what you describe sounds like the case is "tighter" in the chamber than it should be.

KCSO
03-08-2017, 05:30 PM
You can just reline the chamber if need be. I would look for a short ring first. If no ring then a chamber dent can be ironed out with the right tool.

Texas by God
03-08-2017, 05:56 PM
I would add to all the previous advice- wrap a .25 cal bronze brush with steel wool, chuck it and a section of cleaning rod in a cordless drill and polish that chamber. Try this first and go from there. I was able to clean out the "short ring" out of a gun just like yours. It didn't help the two barrel bulges though.....

Geezer in NH
03-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Dry fire dent in chamber face? if so needs to be ironed out the metal displaced back to the face of the barrel.