PDA

View Full Version : No lands in new marlin 1895 barrel

comprschrg
03-08-2017, 02:59 PM
I’m writing this in hopes the big chief, boss man might see it. And a warning to any hard working person wanting a lever action rifle with a history to it. Exept this is a modern stainless man made wood version.
I put off purchasing a Marlin 1895 SBL because of all the bad publicity, “Remington takeover” Well; I just couldn’t wait any longer. It’s now 2017. Hoping the news of remlins quality was really getting better, I ordered one. My first mistake was to stop by the gun store without my close up cheaters. It probably wouldn’t have made much difference because I wanted to so bad. I took it home. The first thing I did was get my finger suck in the loading gate opening. It was like a bear trap. With the inside of the frame like a ginsu knife and gate spring I could have used for an over load spring, my finger was bleeding before I could reach for a screw driver and compress the gate. Now I needed to clean all the blood from inside the gun. I’d already read and watched all the “how too” stuff. About three days later I’d sanded, filed, stoned, filed, sanded, filed, sanded, stoned the inside of the action.

The wood to metal gaps, untrained metal graining (sanded finish), horrid attempt to call checkering, will wait till later. I wanted to fire this thing. I want to shoot some lead! First thing I do is knock some pure lead slugs down the bore to get a good measurement. After three, I’m confused there doesn’t seem to be much rifleing on one side. I make a chamber cast. None there either. I kinda noticed the rifling was skimpy on one side, but just didn’t look close enough with optical cheaters. Sucks to get old. Well the guy that drives a brown truck is picking the rifle up today. I hope they put a good barrel on it this time. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

shoot-n-lead
03-08-2017, 03:12 PM
I’m writing this in hopes the big chief, boss man might see it. And a warning to any hard working person wanting a lever action rifle with a history to it. Exept this is a modern stainless man made wood version.
I put off purchasing a Marlin 1895 SBL because of all the bad publicity, “Remington takeover” Well; I just couldn’t wait any longer. It’s now 2017. Hoping the news of remlins quality was really getting better, I ordered one. My first mistake was to stop by the gun store without my close up cheaters. It probably wouldn’t have made much difference because I wanted to so bad. I took it home. The first thing I did was get my finger suck in the loading gate opening. It was like a bear trap. With the inside of the frame like a ginsu knife and gate spring I could have used for an over load spring, my finger was bleeding before I could reach for a screw driver and compress the gate. Now I needed to clean all the blood from inside the gun. I’d already read and watched all the “how too” stuff. About three days later I’d sanded, filed, stoned, filed, sanded, filed, sanded, stoned the inside of the action.

The wood to metal gaps, untrained metal graining (sanded finish), horrid attempt to call checkering, will wait till later. I wanted to fire this thing. I want to shoot some lead! First thing I do is knock some pure lead slugs down the bore to get a good measurement. After three, I’m confused there doesn’t seem to be much rifleing on one side. I make a chamber cast. None there either. I kinda noticed the rifling was skimpy on one side, but just didn’t look close enough with optical cheaters. Sucks to get old. Well the guy that drives a brown truck is picking the rifle up today. I hope they put a good barrel on it this time. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Sounds like you would have been much better off to just buy a good used one.

shoot-n-lead
03-08-2017, 03:14 PM

Sounds like you would have been much better off to just buy a good used one.

I wonder how they rifle a barrel and have less rifling on one side than the other. You would think, if it were a tooling problem that rifling would be bad around the barrel and throughout it's length. IDK

Harter66
03-08-2017, 03:31 PM
I read about a 1 land rifle once .... I wonder if this was a similar attempt :)

When I read about this sort of thing I have to wonder where QC was that nobody through at least 4 assembly stops didn't notice something as important as rifling . Is the rifling ,turning , threading ,dovetailing ,sight installation and bbl installation all done by machine now ?

comprschrg
03-08-2017, 05:47 PM
I thought about buying a used one, I looked for months. I've got blued levers, but wanted a stainless so I wouldn't have to worry about rust. It might have shot good? the groves on the deep side are about .002 deep and the other side is only scratches. I read somewhere micro grove are .003 deep. The slugs I pounded down the bore had what looked like normal lands and groves on one side, One good deep, and shallow on each side, the other looked like a bunch of super shallow microgroves and one on each side of it getting deeper. It measured .4537 and .4568

ghh3rd
03-08-2017, 05:58 PM
I'm so glad that I got one of the last Marlins (45-70 Guide Gun) before Remington. It looks and shoots great, and I am never getting rid of it! :-) I'm sure you'll get yours to where you want it, but it's a shame that they've turned them into DIY kits!

comprschrg
03-08-2017, 06:17 PM
I'm so glad that I got one of the last Marlins (45-70 Guide Gun) before Remington. It looks and shoots great, and I am never getting rid of it! :-) I'm sure you'll get yours to where you want it, but it's a shame that they've turned them into DIY kits!
That's funny diy. That's part of the reason I got a stainless. I knew I'd be stoning on it. Little did I know I started stoning, went to sanding, then got out the file. I went to town with a file.

2ndAmendmentNut
03-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Really sad to hear how Marlin has been run into the ground. Please keep us updated.

I used to have 3 Marlins. A pre safety 336 in 30-30, a JM stamped XLR in 35 Remington, and a JM stamped 1895 Cowboy in 45-70. They were all good guns, but I ended up selling/trading all of them off in favor of Winchesters or Brownings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UKShootist
03-08-2017, 07:05 PM
I can verify this sort of problem on at least one Remlin .44. I work part time on a gunshop in the UK. A bloke purchased a brand new, blued, Remlin 1894 .44 a year or two ago. First time at the range, he later said, the first three rounds cloverleafed but the rest went wild. He brought it back to the shop and we started having a look at it. The bolt was removed and the staff had a look down the barrel. We all agreed that there was something wrong but we couldn't quite make up our minds what it was. Then one of us twigged it, the first two thirds of the right hand side of the barrel's bore was completely devoid of rifling, as smooth as a baby's bum! Hard to believe but I saw it with my own eyes.

castalott
03-08-2017, 07:14 PM
I have seen a Marlin 45-70 with no rifling on one side of the barrel. It was a new stainless. The rifling was shallow on one side and nonexistent on the other. Someone goofed up big time to do this....

comprschrg
03-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Took me a few hours to figure out how to post this190038I'll see if my luck holds out and get the other side.

comprschrg
03-08-2017, 07:27 PM
te190039
This is the other side.

William Yanda
03-08-2017, 07:43 PM
"When I read about this sort of thing I have to wonder where QC was that nobody through at least 4 assembly stops didn't notice something as important as rifling ." Harter

Late for coffee break!

comprschrg
03-08-2017, 08:10 PM
I have seen a Marlin 45-70 with no rifling on one side of the barrel. It was a new stainless. The rifling was shallow on one side and nonexistent on the other. Someone goofed up big time to do this....
That's exactly what this one has. Couldn't be the same one you saw though, because I was in front of the salesman at the gun store when he opened the box. When I called remington about it they said it was made november of 2016. I thought the bad rifles were made between 2008-2011 Very sad. The fit and finish is terrible, but I wanted a 45-70 I could put a scope on and just have fun with it.

Randy Bohannon
03-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Local LGS won't sell Marlins, just Brownings,Winchester,Henry and Uberti. Winchester/Browning's go fast Henry's Uberti sit a lot longer.

Geezer in NH
03-08-2017, 10:38 PM
For what it's worth my brand new 1970 era in the 70's also cut my finger with the loading gate. I took a dremell to it rounding it out so it would not cut.

The barrel sounds like trash.

Wild Bill 7
03-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Comprschrg, thanks for the laugh. Sorry about your problem but it took me a while to finish reading your post after the Ginsu comment. Hope your finger heals soon.
Wild Bill 7

rockrat
03-09-2017, 01:02 AM
I once bought a Ruger MKI pistol that didn't have any rifling at all, total smoothbore. Returned it to the store, should have kept it. Was wondering why I couldn't hit anything with it.

mcdaniel.mac
03-09-2017, 03:23 AM
No rifling I can understand, but I'm puzzled as to how you only get rifling on half a barrel. Maybe they were trying to make it shoot around corners?

castalott
03-09-2017, 05:41 AM
It must be a special process. How could you rifle a barrel with a pull thru slug and not touch 1/2 of it? Maybe hammer forged? I dunno...

Taylor
03-09-2017, 07:36 AM
I have one,and all the above is spot on.Had to sand ,file and stone to get it to work

buckshotshoey
03-09-2017, 08:21 AM
No rifling I can understand, but I'm puzzled as to how you only get rifling on half a barrel. Maybe they were trying to make it shoot around corners?

Maybe the blank was bored out of round to begin with?

Tackleberry41
03-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Funny I read an article not long ago extolling how great Remington was and how all the problems were made up by liberals.

richmanpoorman
03-09-2017, 12:37 PM
I once bought a Ruger MKI pistol that didn't have any rifling at all, total smoothbore. Returned it to the store, should have kept it. Was wondering why I couldn't hit anything with it.

You shuda kept it. great snake gun spare bbls are easy to buy.

comprschrg
03-09-2017, 12:52 PM
The problems are not made up. I've been looking at getting one of these for years. every time I look one over at the gun store I leave in disbelief, and wait for another year. I knew going into it I'd be working on it. It kinda makes it your own. When I first looked at the bore without my specks, all I saw was the copper wash from the proof rounds. It didn't look that out of place. I have the action working better than I though possible, in comparison to what it started. Working the action was like you sharpened a pair of sheers with the burr facing in and then over tightening them. To some it would be like fingernails on a chalk board. It really wasn't that much work to do, plus you get to know how everything works. I'm sure everything will be fine, just have to wait a few more weeks. It's melted over six inches of snow in the last week so it's too muddy to go shooting anyway.

2ndAmendmentNut
03-11-2017, 06:15 PM
I myself have wanted one of the blued guide guns with the laminated stock. Everyone I have come across had a rough action, and very poorly fitted wood.

I ended up paying more for a Browning 1886 but got way more gun. Even a properly fitted and functioning Marlin has a hard time competing with an 86 IMHO.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170311/6b628b52fd385fb1424701b780f1b77d.jpg

jonp
03-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Buy a Henry

buckshotshoey
03-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Buy a Henry
What? But it doesn't have a loading gate!

Ok. I was poking fun. But I DO agree with you. After owning my Henry for some time now, I couldn't see myself having anything else. At least not as of yet. It is the gun of the many in the safe you get out just to fondle it. Admire it. Tell it how much you love it. Uh oh. Did I just reveal to much info? If I didn't, I was about to!

Ramjet-SS
03-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Henry just a great company and great guns.

2ndAmendmentNut
03-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Buy a Henry

I like their rim fire guns, but I just can't warm up to the center fire ones. They feel really heavy and don't have a loading gate.

Dan Cash
03-12-2017, 12:13 PM
I like their rim fire guns, but I just can't warm up to the center fire ones. They feel really heavy and don't have a loading gate.

With the advent of King's patent, Winchester abandoned the unsatisfactory loading method used on the Henry rifle in 1866. No reason to go back to it today.

Ramjet-SS
03-12-2017, 04:36 PM
I have run leverguns for 30+ years the loading gate is just not that big of an issue for me, in fact the loading tube works fantastic and is safer to unload rather than running it through the chamber. The accuracy and heft of the Henry lends itself to good offhand hold steady and the extra pound or two is insignificant. If you have an issue with a Henry they are THE BEST and MOST RESPONSIVE company to deal with and you will be satisfied in the end. I might add they rifle thier barrels ........... ��

mcdaniel.mac
03-12-2017, 05:02 PM
I have run leverguns for 30+ years the loading gate is just not that big of an issue for me, in fact the loading tube works fantastic and is safer to unload rather than running it through the chamber. The accuracy and heft of the Henry lends itself to good offhand hold steady and the extra pound or two is insignificant. If you have an issue with a Henry they are THE BEST and MOST RESPONSIVE company to deal with and you will be satisfied in the end. I might add they rifle thier barrels ........... ��
Loading gates and silencers don't play nice.

TXGunNut
03-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your Remlin. I picked up a fairly new 45-70 Remlin rifle off the used gun rack and it is actually quite good. All I did was remove the cheap (short eye relief) scope and see-thru mounts and install a new Leopold scope in low rings and mounts. After I took off the old scope I developed a pretty good theory about why it was on the "used" rack, hope the poor guy didn't need stitches. I saw a Remlin 94 in 45 Colt today, sitting next to a 95 in 45-70. Both looked pretty good but I didn't much care for the green stock on the 95. The 94 was a Cowboy, nice gun.

buckshotshoey
03-12-2017, 08:37 PM

Henry steel is 7.1#
The marlin website says approx 7#.
Odd it doesn't list an exact weight.

oldblinddog
03-12-2017, 10:03 PM
I bought a new S&W 29 5" back in the 80's. It shot very well first trip to the range. But, when I got home to clean it I hung a patch in the barrel. About halfway up that 5" barrel was a crater that was about 0.050" deep and maybe 0.250" across. Sent it back to S&W and it came back about a month later with a new barrel. That had to be something in the steel.

No rifling in the barrel is sloppy work and inexcusable.

lightload
03-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Many years ago I bought a new Ruger BKH .41 mag. Before shooting it tried running a patch through the barrel. The barrel was so rough that the patch would not pass through. Of course Ruger replaced it.

Sigmanz
03-13-2017, 01:27 PM
It's unfortunate to see what Remington has done to Marlin. They have been around d a very long time. You would think it wouldn't be a huge undertaking to just keep building them to the standard they were built to for many years.

buckshotshoey
03-13-2017, 01:59 PM
It's unfortunate to see what Remington has done to Marlin. They have been around d a very long time. You would think it wouldn't be a huge undertaking to just keep building them to the standard they were built to for many years.

Bean counters took over the production line.

comprschrg
03-13-2017, 03:33 PM
2ndAmendmentNut (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?9972-2ndAmendmentNut)
Your right about the 86 the design is stronger. That sure is purdy. Those are hard to find. Once people get them they don't let them go. You can single shot longer rounds in it also. I found that out the hard way. I had to remove the bolt from the 1895 to get the same length round out that fit in the 86. But I also learned how easy it is to remove the lever, and bolt so you can clean from the breach end. My 95 is still in transit. The delivery date to repair shop is three more days. Then 4 to 5 weeks, then???

FergusonTO35
03-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Best new lever action for the money and factory support nowadays: Henry all the way.

Best older lever actions if price and factory support is no object: older Brownings.

psweigle
03-13-2017, 04:30 PM
I prefer the tube to the loading gate. I have big fat fingers. The henry is a no-brainer in my opinion.

Morgan61
03-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Maybe the blank was bored out of round to begin with?

I'd guess that the person running the gundrill had to stop-maybe the drill went bad and had to remove the barrel blank, change the drill and continue drilling. If they didn't line the blank up perfectly the 2nd. time around then the drill will leave an egg shaped hole for the first couple inches.

I see this happen where I work. Don't make guns but we use gundrills on the transmission shafts we make.

Norske
03-14-2017, 11:19 PM
The Freedom Group keeps surprising us. These corporate raiders buy Marlin, which adds a layer of debt (and greed), so they rush the assembly to make up money spent. When Marlins first showed up with NY factory addresses, gun department managers of a local big sporting goods chain were returning entire shipments. They didn't ask a premium price for North Haven, CT built rifles, but they could have.

Harter66
03-15-2017, 12:32 AM
In spite of this thread . I did some digging around .
It seems Remington was in charge for 5 yr before the move . It's been over 6 since the move to Illion NY . Any SN on the side of the reciever rather than the tang and/or beginning with MR XXXXX is going to have a Ford oval like REM proof mark on the bbl .
I bought 1 of those last weekend in 45-70 . It still says New Haven on the bbl marks it is low numbered , I guess . It is a Rem proofed bbl and if anything is done with any predictability it should be a 2013 production gun , but I have no way at this point to validate that . Frankly the wood to metal fit sux it is better on my Rossi 92 circa 3/15 NIB . I'd be ashamed to have sent a bbl crown out that thin with that many radial lines on it . The hammer is heavy on the bolt during cycles . The Rossi 92 is smoother as is my buddies JM 1895G in SS .
Tonight I learned they were rifled with 8 and 12 groove Microgroove and with 6 groove Ballard . What happens when you try to broach a Ballard like groove in a bbl bored for 12 land Microgroove ..... I'll bet a slightly dulled or less sharp cutter rides while the sharp 1 cuts and it would push off center because the broach arbor is ,while correct normally, grossly undersized . Viola' imbalanced rifling . If QC does a 25% inspection and really it's probably closer to 10 % 3 of 4 can get by an 1 of those could be a Monday morning hang over pretty easy .
The aesthetic class on mine are trumped by the glassy shine down the bore and the demonstration of possible accuracy , once I got up to the 7th step on the rear sight I found the Privi Partizan 405s to be delivering the goods .

In today's terms with a Rossi bringing $500 retail in a Cowboy carbine 92' $600 for a 45-70 lever gun ,with a 2012 MSRP of $680 is about as inexpensive as it gets .

I don't know how many 94s and 86s sold in Reno last weekend but at $1800 for a new product and 21-2700 for an original in 38-55 or 375 , sending back a $600 lemon looks pretty good.

buckshotshoey
03-15-2017, 08:48 AM
I wish Savage would start making 99's again!

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 04:41 PM
Well my saga continues. I got the rifle back yesterday. I opened the front door, the guy in brown has a goofy look on his face. He knows me and I call him my favorite buddy that brings me cool stuff. The box was as floppy as a rag doll, and he says "Do you want me to wait till you open, and inspect it. Luckly the worst was showers of styrofoam to clean up, and maybe the almost non existent checkering was lessened. They did put another butt stock on it. I wish they wouldn't have. it's a better wood to frame fit, but the rubber pad has a oops from the sander, and the checkering would be better off not being there.
Oh yea. The reason I sent it back. With fingers crossed I started to clean the proof load copper out. That's when I started wondering if they really changed the barrel. Yup. A second conformation, It's a different barrel, but it looks the same!!!! must be it's twin brother.!!!!
I called Marlin this morning and this time it's going to Marlin instead of some place that now has a buisness of fixing them. I know they tried, because they replaced a buggerd up screw (I didn't do it) and they found me a part that goes on the hammer, It is shown on the original packing slip, But wasn't in the box. a call to marlin got me a lady that said they don't include hammer extensions any more.
The rifle is the SBL Stainless big loop, List price $1145.89 I got a good price for my area. Just under a grand. Not 600 bucks anymore.
I just tried to post some pictures, didn't work. I'll keep trying.

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 05:05 PM
I've been trying for over an hour to post a pic. I got it to work before, not now though.

MT Chambers
04-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Those guns were a limited edition made for Lee to match their molds.

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 05:43 PM
you mean I shuda kep utt?

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 05:49 PM

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 05:55 PM
ok that worked I'll try another194156
This shows good rifling and bad.

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 05:59 PM
One more pic.

OverMax
04-27-2017, 06:24 PM
Shame you have to go thru all this bother to get something brand new and unused fixed.

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 06:25 PM

I'm starting to figure out how to post pictures. here are the bad pad. and missmatched wood. I don't think anyone would like to see this on a new thousand dollar gun.

Iowa Fox
04-27-2017, 07:42 PM
I've been watching the new Marlins at the gun shows for the last couple of years. I don't even pick them up I just stand there and look them over. The last two shows January and March I eyeballed two different 1895 CB's. The workmanship on the first one was horrible, wouldn't have given 10 dollars for it. Last show another 95 CB. The workmanship was a little better but I wouldn't have given 50 bucks for it. I'm just glad I've got the older Marlins I have. Remington has a long way to go to get the quality where it should be on these Lever guns, the best way to help them get there is to stop buying their junk.

Harter66
04-27-2017, 09:11 PM
I'm sure glad I got a 1 in a million .
A 40 shot with 3 bullets , 8 loads and sight adjustments at 75 yd .
Next to a Rossi 92'
The wood is a little proud.

My buddy Jorge got a Rocky mountain mule deer limited edition engraved JM 1895GG nonported stainless at the Big Reno Show in October for $900 .
That glorified blob of kindling and scrap metal with the 4# trigger is 2011 Remlin . Sure it's just a blued 1895G , I only gave $600 for it . 194180
5 at 100 typical of the 350 paper patched and 457-340F , 458193 and the little bitty 456-228 1R for the ROA .
I'm sorry your luck with the 1895 sucks . Maybe you should shop where you can fondle the gun before you take possession ......

Ignore me I've had a bad day .....

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Iowa Fox; the best way to help them get there is to stop buying their junk.[/QUOTE]
I wish I knew then what I know now. I have a few friends telling me "I told you so". Even one local gun dealer told me to get an old one. But no I had to have a stainless one I could abuse. I watched utube videos about the ****. ahh that won't happen to me. I just can't believe the repair shop put one of the bad barrels on it, and a worse stock. The gun keeps getting worse. That's kind of why I'm writing this. Be ware!!!!!

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 09:23 PM
Harter66 I had to order it. If I didn't want to keep it when it got here. I would have to pay over one hundred bucks to send it back. I looked it over. I couldn't see the rifleing was bad. all the copper wash from the proof loads covered it up.

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Harter66
You'll have to say a lot worse that that if you want to piss me off. I'm married, ugly, and can't dance. short, bald, I forgot the rest. I just know when I get it back those loads I have made up will shoot good. I hope.

Harter66
04-27-2017, 09:36 PM
As deep as you're in this little darling (oozing sarcasm) , maybe a new Green Mountain bbl installed by a master would have you money ahead ( casual suggestion) .
I know a guy in Arkansas that does a little lever gun work . His personal 1886 Win in 45-70 shoots 2.5 MOA to at least 300 yd .
I sent him a Carcano and he sent me back a sub MOA wildcat for paper patch in 7x6.8 which proves miracles happen every day . He's a great guy to do business with also .

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 09:47 PM
Harter
Believe me I thought of that before during and now. I just taped the box up for the guy in the brown truck to pick up tomorrow. Well, it might be monday. I haven't gotten a conformation yet.

comprschrg
04-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Harter
Believe me I thought of that before during and now. I just taped the box up for the guy in the brown truck to pick up tomorrow. Well, it might be monday. I haven't gotten a conformation yet. By the way the rifle was made november of 2016
Harter, what caliber is that 92, I've been thinking of getting one in 357. I have a browning made back in 1978 that is a 44 mag. It kicks harder than any gun I've shot with full loads.

Harter66
04-27-2017, 10:32 PM
It's a 45 Colts . I have 2 . A 16" seen from March 13' and a 20" from 82-86' .
The slow twists are a bummer , the Lee 457-340F will stabilize . Important because mine don't play nice with super sonics . The SWCs get all undone and go wild past 80 yd . A paper patch 429421 opened to 448 will go north of 1400 at the muzzle and does a little better as do RNFP . At 1100 at the muzzle a 454424 is hard on hogs from gun fight to 50 yd for sure .

2ndAmendmentNut
04-30-2017, 10:13 AM
Oh yea. The reason I sent it back. With fingers crossed I started to clean the proof load copper out. That's when I started wondering if they really changed the barrel. Yup. A second conformation, It's a different barrel, but it looks the same!!!! must be it's twin brother.!!!!

Man that's just really sad. Looks like it came back worse than before. I would be raising holy hell for a refund. Than use the cash to buy a 45-70 made by somebody else.

BAGTIC
05-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Duh! It doesn't list an exact weight because individual guns will vary due to differences in wood density.

woodbutcher
05-11-2017, 10:51 PM
[smilie=b: Man,that just plain sucks.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Strtspdlx
05-12-2017, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the re assurance. I will keep my eyes peeled for a used marlin. They don't come around often in New Jersey especially in 45-70. But I'm not paying $700 for that kind of work (I won't call it craftsmanship as I feel like that's an insult to the real deal). At this point you may be better off demanding a refund. $1000 is ALOT of money.

rototerrier
05-12-2017, 10:00 AM
I wound up purchasing a used 1895SBL a couple months ago. Figured it best to let someone else deal with finding and inspecting, etc. I showed up and gave it a good looking over and it was probably a solid 90 out of 100. Got it home and had to only do some minor sanding and tweaking so it wouldn't slice my fingers open on the loading gate. Also lightly sanded a few other trouble areas and now it functions silky smooth and is super accurate. I probably only have about 30 minutes worth of work in it to get it perfect and I saved $300 off retail. Win Win for me. But, I must confess, I'd been lurking in the forums, traders and classifieds for about a year waiting for the right one to pop up. I would have preferred to be able to just run out and buy one, but I knew better. In the end, it worked out even though it did take me a year to find it.

Drm50
05-15-2017, 08:34 PM
I have a 1970, Marlin 1895. I got it on a trade back then, it was used. I really didn't have much
interest in it until I shot it. I put Lyman receiver sight on it and shot some outstanding groups
with it (100yds) playing with it I had the witness plate maked out to 300yds. It is a outstanding
shooter. I have Ruger #1 & #3 that will out shoot it off the bench. Off hand the Marlin is easier
for me to shoot. The only thing I have done to it was skinn off about 1/3 of the wood on it. Now
its like the old originals with wood even with metal. It do kick a little harder with less butt area.

comprschrg
06-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Well I got a call to pick up my brand new 1895 SBL yesterday. I cleaned the copper from the proof loads out and what do you think I saw. Gives me great pain to say it, another bad barrel!197206197207197208 I know pictures tell it best. same as before, I think this barrel was made before the other two, because it's not as bad. What really gets me is there is no WARNING on the side. What a bummer. I thought I'd have the only non warning marlin on my block. Do I keep it, send it back, use it as a horse shoes stake? I called marlin this morning and they said send it back. I have an email to click and the guy in the brown truck will pick it up. Will I get another bad one. I tried to get his supervisor to find out if someone can look at the bore before they do whatever, but all he could do was notify someone. They must have had one heck of a bad run on barrels. The first one was made november of 16, then the re-barrel. He said this one was made this year. Didn't give me a month. I waited all day for his supervisor to call me. My phone never rang. Guess I call back in the morning.

Catshooter
06-10-2017, 12:53 AM
Man, you must really, really want this rifle. I don't think I could have held on this long. Good luck.

Cat

lightload
06-10-2017, 02:22 AM
Even if each individual rifle is not thoroughly inspected, it seems that each barrel would be before it hits the parts bin. Can the machinists and engineers on the forum explain how such a sad state of affairs could develop within a factory?

17nut
06-10-2017, 07:11 AM
Even if each individual rifle is not thoroughly inspected, it seems that each barrel would be before it hits the parts bin. Can the machinists and engineers on the forum explain how such a sad state of affairs could develop within a factory?

If you pay peanuts you only get monkies!
And if the QC department is all but shut down everything will hit the shelves.

That's how Colt got started with their military contract.
Ship everything and repair what returns.

Like cars there are gun-users who have no clue hot it works and how it's supposed to look. So a lot of the "rejects" will get accepted and by the time people fezz up it's to late.

DougGuy
06-10-2017, 07:53 AM
OP so sorry to read of the misfortunes surrounding this gun. I HOPE you get it resolved amicably! I think were it me I would be asking for a refund and completely distancing myself from this particular model. Bad barrel indeed, the crown is horribly eccentric. Twice as wide on one side as it is on the other.

comprschrg
06-10-2017, 12:41 PM
DougGuy, I knew someone would notice the uh, what looks like a crown. Glad it was you. It doesn't even conform to the un square badly sanded roller coaster looking muzzle. My 1990's camera needs replacing. I took over 200 pictures to get only a few good ones. If you look down the bore it's really easy to see the good side of the bore, and the non existent lands on the other. I'll post the best bad picture I could take. The lands are only about .0005 tall. You can barley get a tooth pick to snag on them.197318 I told you I need a new camera. I did ask customer service about getting my money back, and the place I purchased it. It will mean loosing hundreds of dollars. I am still thinking about it though because I haven't clicked the "set up the return" e-mail marlin sent me. I'm thinking I'd have to wait till they ran another batch of barrels.

country gent
06-10-2017, 04:25 PM
This is a sad thin to see and it happens when manufacturers hire from temp agencies and give little to no real training. It happens in all industries and can be a big issue when you hit a retirement cycle after many years. Imagine a 1/8-3/16 of the work force retireing over 3-4 years due to the original horing when plant started or other cycles. Any large employment increase has this effect in 25-30 years In industry. A trained and skilled production worker is an important commodity in a plant. Hes the one who makes the pay point on the lines. Engineers desighn and support, Skilled trades keep him working but hes the one putting things out the door. Another issue is if this is a marlinj a Remington /marlin after the merger? Is marlin making the barrels still or are they farmed out by the pencil pushers saving a dime? As to the cause I'm not sure as this is a button filed blank and I would think even a damaged button would give some image on the bad side. an egg shaped hole maybe could have this affect.

Hunter2506
06-10-2017, 04:55 PM
DougGuy, I knew someone would notice the uh, what looks like a crown. Glad it was you. It doesn't even conform to the un square badly sanded roller coaster looking muzzle. My 1990's camera needs replacing. I took over 200 pictures to get only a few good ones. If you look down the bore it's really easy to see the good side of the bore, and the non existent lands on the other. I'll post the best bad picture I could take. The lands are only about .0005 tall. You can barley get a tooth pick to snag on them.197318 I told you I need a new camera. I did ask customer service about getting my money back, and the place I purchased it. It will mean loosing hundreds of dollars. I am still thinking about it though because I haven't clicked the "set up the return" e-mail marlin sent me. I'm thinking I'd have to wait till they ran another batch of barrels.

according to google, Ballard rifled barrels have grooves generally in the range of .069-.090" wide, and .0015-.003"

Harter66
06-10-2017, 05:35 PM
The Rem made rifles in Illion have the standard .450x.458 6 right .
I would think that by the 3rd time back they would have sent it over to the custom shop and turned a 458 WM bbl down and installed that .

DougGuy
06-10-2017, 06:02 PM
I did ask customer service about getting my money back, and the place I purchased it. It will mean loosing hundreds of dollars.

You got a lemon. There is bound to be some protection you can use to get out from under this one. I would file a complaint with the Attorney General's office of the state in which you live, and let that sink in. In North Carolina if you go online and file at the ncdoj page, they send out a letter and by law the people MUST respond in writing within a certain time stating what they intend to do. Hundreds of dollars to return a defective product? I think NOT!

TexasGrunt
06-11-2017, 08:13 AM
It should be being returned on THEIR dime.

If not box it up and take it to the Post Office. You are allowed to ship long guns through USPS in this situation.

BigAl52
06-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Remington is a terrible company and why people keep buying there products I don't understand. I wish you luck in getting this resolved. But before it cost me hundreds of dollars to get a refund I think I might get an airline ticket to there front door. Al

rondog
06-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Well, this is discouraging. I just bought a new Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. Haven't shot it yet, went from the box to the safe. Better get the bore light out.....

comprschrg
06-11-2017, 07:15 PM
rondog, I'm sure your bore is fine, it's a different caliber. The tooling was just bad when they made this batch of 45 cal. barrels. I've never been to New York. That might be a fun. Brings back memories of the time I drove to Montana in January to pick up a Shiloh Sharps rifle. I slept in the car. Ice on the inside of the windows, probably better I didn't have a thermometer.

trapperP
06-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Had no idea that the name of Marlin now means so very little. I have a "JM" stamped 1895 that i have owned for a good many years and can no longer shoot because of recoil. Has aftermarket aperture sights (Ghost Ring) and It has a 22" Micro Groove barrel. i was very pleased with the gun, even wrote Marlin a letter in 1996 asking if they would consider necking down the 45/70 case to 35 cal, creating a cartridge very similar to the old 348 Winc. They never answered my letter so guess they were not interested.

BigAl52
06-11-2017, 11:43 PM
I might add here I was at my local gun shop today to pick up a new Henry all weather in 45-70 that Henry dropped shipped thru a distributor of theres so that I could purchase one. My gun shop had been looking for one for sometime and I email the president of Henry about my troubles locating one. They do this quite frequently. The president responed within 48 hours and told me he would get it handled and they did. While picking up my gun the owner of the shop and I got to talking about 2 Marlin 336's he had there. One of the guns was just ok and the other had issues which required a trip back to Remington. I told him about this situation here. He mentioned he was having trouble like you getting a hold of anyone to take care of his issues with this one gun. He also agreed Remington is not standing behind there products like they should and in no way he would even buy one. Al

iMigraine
06-12-2017, 12:31 AM
comprschrg, sorry to hear about your tails of woe from Remington/Marlin customer service. Obliviously your a patient man after three failed attempts in search for a proper rifled barrel. This post is crushing my hopes in getting a Marlin 1895CBA or 1895GBL 45-70 in the near future.

Funny thing, on a couple of different sites I read ReMarlin owners praising there recently acquired 1895 45-70's. Makes me wonder if they even inspected their barrels. What a d@mn shame.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-12-2017, 02:36 PM
That's really pathetic. With the quantity over quality approach companies have these days I understand there will be some stinkers, BUT come on Remington! You would think after a rifle has come back again and again they would have a competent smith once over your particular rifle before sending it out. Will they not refund your money?

I would keep sending it back until it came home with at least a half way decent barrel and then sell it.

comprschrg
06-12-2017, 04:39 PM
trapperp
what would be a reasonable price to expect it to go for? That's a tuff call. Condition is everything they say. Some will give a minus for microgrove, others know you can work around them.(with lead) On the pluss side it's a jm barrel. That alone will help, if it's pre saftey that's another pluss. The big auction houses on the internet are all over priced. The asking price looks good to sellers, but do they sell? I'd look at the auction sites for a close example and go from there. That's all I can say, I'd have to research to too.

scattershot
06-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Get a refund and buy a Henry.

comprschrg
06-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your pat on the back. My failed attempts at reaching any hierarchy at remington/marlin, which included the internet and multiple affiliated business partners only turned up two different phone numbers. They obviously got me nowhere. This only proves they hide their ahh, umm, busy schedules with cowardice embarrassment! When a dealer can't get their attention, they just don't care. I know this is when I should be growing some big ones, but, yea,,,, man or mouse, keep it to yourself. The gun is going back to see what they will do.
Then,,,,,,,,,,the rant, one thinks about "make this country great", made in USA. What is going on? I wonder if it would happen if it were made in china? Do Americans own the company now? Or do foreigners? Are they rotting us from the inside? See what happens, Now I have to go get my aluminum foil hat.

skeettx
06-12-2017, 06:03 PM
Watching this thread in horror
Mike

Chris C
06-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Well, comprschrg, I guess maybe now you can see why the smart money always buys a JM marked Marlin. These new "Remlins" , for the most part, aren't worth the metal they are made of. You'd be a whole lot happier buying a JM marked 1895. I've got one you'd drool over that shoots like a champ. This target is 10 shots. Click on the picture to bigamate it.

BigAl52
06-13-2017, 12:21 AM

Henry 45-70 with iron sights no scope 50 yards

rondog
06-13-2017, 05:54 AM
rondog, I'm sure your bore is fine, it's a different caliber. The tooling was just bad when they made this batch of 45 cal. barrels. I've never been to New York. That might be a fun. Brings back memories of the time I drove to Montana in January to pick up a Shiloh Sharps rifle. I slept in the car. Ice on the inside of the windows, probably better I didn't have a thermometer.

Mmmm, I don't know.....looking in the tube with a bore light, ain't real confidence-inspiring. I'll have to run a couple dozen rounds through it to see how it does.

Geezer in NH
06-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Print and send a copy of this thread to the Corporation board. That may get Remingtons attention but I doubt it.

Full refund is do including any ammo costs shipping and such. ANY less is a statement by the company that we do not care and are incompetent.

I for one will never buy one made by the new company even if an older one becomes double the cost.

GARD72977
06-20-2017, 10:22 PM
I was temped to buy a 45-70 26". After reading this post i changed my mind.

I love a bargin but a bad barrel ain't no bargin!

buckshotshoey
06-21-2017, 07:08 AM
For the price that Remlin is now commanding for their rifles, only a few dollars more will get a Henry. Quality and customer service is stellar. If you can get past not having a loading gate, it is a real gem. Rossi is another option. I have the feeling that Remington won't be around as a company much longer. Sad thought. It left a bad taste in my mouth just saying it. And they will take the Marlin name down with them.

Question..... how many of you who wouldn't consider a Henry (because of tube loading) would buy one if they produced rifles with a loading gate?

Harter66
06-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Print and send a copy of this thread to the Corporation board. That may get Remingtons attention but I doubt it.

Full refund is do including any ammo costs shipping and such. ANY less is a statement by the company that we do not care and are incompetent.

I for one will never buy one made by the new company even if an older one becomes double the cost.

For what it's worth a Remington ad came up on a social feed so I hit them on the chat thingy with a link to this thread . Donno if it had any effect or not but with 35,000 potential readers that's a shot taken at getting a better response .

I mentioned here that with full house Marlin loads my 2011 doesn't shoot the little bitty groups . At a recent shoot however I was pleased with it's short range showing with light paper patched loads . I have a bore scope on the way so maybe I will find the same in mine . My buddy has SS JM . Our rifles shoot about the same with factory ammo . I'm not happy with it's over all performance , and I don't like the finish fit either .

I think you should request that it be fitted with an upgrade bbl in the custom shop . After this much humping around with it I don't think that is the least bit unreasonable at this point .

Sur-shot
06-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Have any idea what it takes to overcome one vocal disgruntled customer? Twelve paid ads, that statistic comes from the ad industry. This thread is really expensive, but well deserved. These companies have become assembly plants, buying components from jobbers and not bothering to do any QC because it saves money. One of the big companies told me flat out that their "acceptable accuracy" was 4 inches at 100 on their current rifles in production, including their single shots. Now please tell me what is more useless than a inaccurate rifle, to start with.
Ed

TexasGrunt
06-21-2017, 11:17 AM
For the price that Remlin is now commanding for their rifles, only a few dollars more will get a Henry. Quality and customer service is stellar. If you can get past not having a loading gate, it is a real gem. Rossi is another option. I have the feeling that Remington won't be around as a company much longer. Sad thought. It left a bad taste in my mouth just saying it. And they will take the Marlin name down with them.

Question..... how many of you who wouldn't consider a Henry (because of tube loading) would buy one if they produced rifles with a loading gate?

How much more would the Henry cost with a loading gate?

Harter66
06-21-2017, 11:38 AM
My daughter was a USN Gunners mate I the armory standard for a GI rifle they released for service is 3 MOA checked at 50 confirmation at 100 as needed . 3.45 inches .

Fortunately we have some cut rate out fits like Savage that build to a higher standard even if they are ugly . ��

All of our industry has suffered across the board over the last 40 years . Costs for regulations have driven a big part of that . The fact is we came out of WWII with industry that could turn out 1000 rifles a day every one a 3" rifle , we had machinists that could run the manual machines in their sleep ,they probably did run them in their sleep . Those machinists taught a whole generation how to hold .002 over/under on machines with .005 in wear slop in them . Today a tool head with .003 slop is run-out but it comes off the pallet with .001 and .005 is good enough for QC (it seems like there should be another zero in there) . Where this becomes a problem is with a broach or button that is off center by .003 . Now you have a $1000 tool to make $10,000 in parts ,bbls in this case that are lop sidded and or missing a groove . Probably the bbl shop has a 10% rule or a 1 % for inspection of finished white bbls , now if the inspection were at the end of the button line the rejects could be rebored and rerifled and this wouldn't happen . If there were an operator on every machine this wouldn't happen because the operator would notice a difference in the cutting or tool appearance . With 1 operator for 5 machines with a quota there's no time for a guy on a rotating line to get to know 3 of 5 tool head 673793 -3-5 until it's made 7-800 bad parts , which if we're lucky QC found 3-5 . So they pull a guy off the line he finds 10-20 doing a 25% check on 5,000 bbls and the whole 3 day run gets pulled for use as warranty parts where they should be checked out as part of the installers job but the installer has looked at 100 bbls an found 1 . So the installer figures that's that for the bad bbls and quits looking at that batch . Guess what ? Of the 800 or so bad cuts we've only weeded out about 200 in shop and probably 200 got out the door . Based on probability averages and 800/5000 of a production day . There's still 1/6 chance of any given bbls in that production lot of being a bad bbl .
The odds are really against 1 customer getting 4 of them , but at 378 million to 1 somebody , sometimes several somebody's , pick all 6 numbers for the lottery 2-5 times a yr .

Maybe Rem took a look at this , maybe they read through it all , maybe it hit home . Maybe it won't take 800 ads to smooth it over , maybe they will make it right whether by upgrade or by buy back or replacement .

RGrosz
06-21-2017, 11:46 AM
When I used to work at Gateway Computers (remember them, cow-spotted boxes) they used to say 1 dissatisfied customer would tell 10 friends and they would tell 10 more friends. They worked like that till the CEO retired and hired another CEO. Then the business changed and they started the spiral down. Maybe that's what Remmy is going to do???
Rob

buckshotshoey
06-22-2017, 11:49 AM
How much more would the Henry cost with a loading gate?
Good point. A rough guess would be about 50 dollars. Don't know for sure. I can see no need to change the mag tube. You can load through the gate and unload from the tube. That would work, and save some money in the process.

But how much is a quality gun with superb customer service worth? I sent an email with the suggestion. Will wait and see what the response is.

gpidaho
06-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Big Green is putting out some real *** rifles. The kids bought me a Marlin 1895 cowboy for fathers day. After the original cleaning I took a peak with the bore scope. YIKES. There were rough machining marks for the length of the barrel and actual chunks of the lands missing. These missing parts were as deep as the rifling and there were several of them about 4 to 5" down the bore from the muzzle. Pathetic QC and had to ask the kids to send an expensive gift back because of just plain ***** workmanship. For to long Remington has counted on selling their name to people who rarely shoot and just count poor performance up to their own shortcomings. "What could be wrong? It's brand new." I hope they go broke if they can't or won't improve their products. Gp

TexasGrunt
06-23-2017, 01:08 PM
My daughter was a USN Gunners mate I the armory standard for a GI rifle they released for service is 3 MOA checked at 50 confirmation at 100 as needed . 3.45 inches .

Fortunately we have some cut rate out fits like Savage that build to a higher standard even if they are ugly . ��

All of our industry has suffered across the board over the last 40 years . Costs for regulations have driven a big part of that . The fact is we came out of WWII with industry that could turn out 1000 rifles a day every one a 3" rifle , we had machinists that could run the manual machines in their sleep ,they probably did run them in their sleep . Those machinists taught a whole generation how to hold .002 over/under on machines with .005 in wear slop in them . Today a tool head with .003 slop is run-out but it comes off the pallet with .001 and .005 is good enough for QC (it seems like there should be another zero in there) . Where this becomes a problem is with a broach or button that is off center by .003 . Now you have a $1000 tool to make $10,000 in parts ,bbls in this case that are lop sidded and or missing a groove . Probably the bbl shop has a 10% rule or a 1 % for inspection of finished white bbls , now if the inspection were at the end of the button line the rejects could be rebored and rerifled and this wouldn't happen . If there were an operator on every machine this wouldn't happen because the operator would notice a difference in the cutting or tool appearance . With 1 operator for 5 machines with a quota there's no time for a guy on a rotating line to get to know 3 of 5 tool head 673793 -3-5 until it's made 7-800 bad parts , which if we're lucky QC found 3-5 . So they pull a guy off the line he finds 10-20 doing a 25% check on 5,000 bbls and the whole 3 day run gets pulled for use as warranty parts where they should be checked out as part of the installers job but the installer has looked at 100 bbls an found 1 . So the installer figures that's that for the bad bbls and quits looking at that batch . Guess what ? Of the 800 or so bad cuts we've only weeded out about 200 in shop and probably 200 got out the door . Based on probability averages and 800/5000 of a production day . There's still 1/6 chance of any given bbls in that production lot of being a bad bbl .
The odds are really against 1 customer getting 4 of them , but at 378 million to 1 somebody , sometimes several somebody's , pick all 6 numbers for the lottery 2-5 times a yr .

Maybe Rem took a look at this , maybe they read through it all , maybe it hit home . Maybe it won't take 800 ads to smooth it over , maybe they will make it right whether by upgrade or by buy back or replacement .

Please use some paragraphs so us older eyes have an easier time reading it.

thanks.

comprschrg
06-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Big Green is putting out some real *** rifles. The kids bought me a Marlin 1895 cowboy for fathers day. After the original cleaning I took a peak with the bore scope. YIKES. There were rough machining marks for the length of the barrel and actual chunks of the lands missing. These missing parts were as deep as the rifling and there were several of them about 4 to 5" down the bore from the muzzle. Pathetic QC and had to ask the kids to send an expensive gift back because of just plain ***** workmanship. For to long Remington has counted on selling their name to people who rarely shoot and just count poor performance up to their own shortcomings. "What could be wrong? It's brand new." I hope they go broke if they can't or won't improve their products. Gp

GP I just looked at the ups tracking. Mine was supposed to get there yesterday. It now says monday the 26th. Hopefully yours will get there close to the same time and the Nice person will want to fix them right so there won't be any more returns. We can hope, right?

gpidaho
06-23-2017, 09:58 PM
comprschrg; I guess there's always hope. I wonder how many are already lined up on their work bench? Got my Mid-South order in yesterday with all the brass, dies and anything else I could think of for a 45-70. Now I just need the rifle. No end to the good news. The Rcbs cowboy die set makes little lube dents around the brass about 1/2" down from the mouth of the case. (made a couple of dummy rounds) I'm going to wait for some fired cases and use a different lube and see if they still mark the cases. Gp

samari46
06-23-2017, 11:30 PM
Check the bleed hole in the sizing die to see if it's got a burr on it or full of metal chips. Clean with a pipe cleaner. Or run a bore brush with some silicon carbide paper on it with a variable speed drill. And clean very well with patches and solvent and do the bleed hole to get any trapped grit out. Had a set of lee dies for 375 win and every case got scratched. Did all the above and still did scratches. Don't have the dies anymore. Frank

comprschrg
06-24-2017, 11:29 AM
gpidaho, The Rcbs cowboy die set makes little lube dents around the brass about 1/2" down from the mouth of the case. (made a couple of dummy rounds) I'm going to wait for some fired cases and use a different lube and see if they still mark the cases. Gp[/QUOTE]

Different lube, less lube, or even try depriming first. I know I've done the same thing. Don't remember if I was using the cowdoy dies, or hornady set. I ended up making a bore guild with the wrinkled case. I drilled the flash hole so the cleaning rod would fit, (tough to hold without smashing) then crammed it into a 308 die. That necked the mouth of the 45-70 case down to a close size of the cleaning rod. Not needed so much with your 1895, but useful in a single shot.

gpidaho
06-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Guys; I'm out of my chosen lube (imperial size wax) and have on hand some of the Hornady Unique lube. I apply this Very sparingly. I rub a small amount between the thumb and fore finger and lube 10 or so cases. I've had lube dent problems with Unique lube before with 308 cases and suspect that this is the problem. I have more Imperial on order. samari46; As far as I know most sizing dies for strait wall cases don't have bleed holes and this die doesn't but thanks for the reply. In any event, I'm pretty sure if there is a continuing problem RCBS will take care of it. They have always done right by me. Gp

buckshotshoey
06-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Use a Sharpie and mark the case and the die. Line the two marks before sizing. Use that as a reference point to see if it happens in the same position every time. Might give you a clue as to what's going on. Clean die after every use. Lube dents should be more random.

Dusty Ed
06-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Howdy Sigmanz
You are right Marlin has been in business a very long time ,There tools were wore out an wouldn't buy new, their quality was going down hill for quite a few years,when they sold to REMLIN
I don't think that any of the old hands went along. they couldn't make a NEW MARLIN THAT WORKED ,In 2011 they shut all production an install all new CNC equipment an now they are supposed to be making a pretty good firearm an improving.
I'm 78 years old an have own 1000's of guns an shot many more I have never seen a gun manufactured by any company that didn't have some kind of problem.

comprschrg
08-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Well I'm waking up this thread again. I got my forth barrel back from Marlin last night. Drum role.....ahh no. they put another bad barrel on this also. This is the second rifle, forth bad barrel!!!!!!! And yes, I had to register both rifles in my name, payed the fee. A call to Marlin this morning 6:00 my time. couldn't sleep since 3:00am. The gentleman said it was the first he'd herd of such a thing. So the other two people I talked to, multiple times that said they'd let there superiors know of the situation, and they'd make a note for when my rifle came in, it would get a closer look obviously didn't happen. At least this time I didn't get a number to return the gun. He said his supervisor will call me. I'm waiting.

gpidaho
08-04-2017, 10:20 AM
We got the 45-70 1895 Cowboy back from Remlin. They stated that they could find no reason for the customer complaint and sent a five shot target fired by some rifle somewhere. Apparently if the bullet comes out of the bore when the gun is fired you shouldn't worry about mangled rifling. Gp

comprschrg
08-04-2017, 10:39 AM
gp, I've had nightmares about something like,,,,,, uh,, exactly like that happening to me. I think I'd blow a gasket. I haven't cleaned the bore yet, Just did the toothpick test. That's all I need to do, to know it's the same. With the copper fowling streaks it looks ok. Maybe I will clean it good before I send it back.

Harter66
08-04-2017, 10:49 AM
There is something so not right ..........
I can't even begin to figure the probability of the same person getting 3 much less 4 bad bbls .

At this point maybe you should buy a Henry even if it doesn't have a loading gate .........
I would have to say you're just not supposed to have a 45-70 Marlin ...... Time to listen to that nagging little voice/guardian angel/whisper in the wind , I think it might be trying to tell you something . That or fixing to hit you with a freight train .

comprschrg
08-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Harter66, I can't help myself. I was talking to the guy at Marlin telling him, walking him through the pictures on this thread while reading your post. he asked me multiple times if I wanted a refund. Are you sure he said, I told him I'd try another rifle. He was super nice about the whole thing. It just hit me this will be another registration fee. Will someone kick me.

gpidaho
08-04-2017, 01:40 PM
comprschrg: I guess I just don't have your tenacity and patience. We took the rifle back to the dealer for a refund. Really a disappointment as other than having a totally ***** barrel it was a very good looking rifle. It's my opinion that Remlin is at this time totally incapable of producing an acceptable barrel. Now that I have all the dies, brass, moulds and other misc. together seems all I need now is a rifle. I can't see me ever doing any business with Remington again in this life time. Gp

Harter66
08-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Harter66, I can't help myself. I was talking to the guy at Marlin telling him, walking him through the pictures on this thread while reading your post. he asked me multiple times if I wanted a refund. Are you sure he said, I told him I'd try another rifle. He was super nice about the whole thing. It just hit me this will be another registration fee. Will someone kick me.

Lol .
I've been stubborn/determined/insistent about things like this once or twice . Not so much money on the line .
I'm just glad I lucked into a good one I guess .

I hate having dies brass and moulds with nothing to feed . :)

RKJ
08-04-2017, 08:10 PM
After reading this thread, I went and checked my 1895. It looks good to me, shallow rifling but all there. I got it from WM last October. It's the Guide Gun so maybe that makes a difference. I hope that they finally get you a truly great barrel/rifle. I cannot believe the hoops you have had to go through with this.

comprschrg
08-05-2017, 08:34 PM
I'm saving the pictures to be deleted or posted until I receive the rifle back. I did get a new camera, and the pictures are much better.

RKJ
08-06-2017, 08:01 AM
It seems to me that someone at the factory would get the memo about this and personally see that you got a good barrel/rifle. I hope that they will and soon. Good luck.

mold maker
08-06-2017, 09:55 AM
The original purchase, out of the box, was a good indicator of what you could expect.
I'm sure glad the older one that fell in my lap many years ago is great. Your experience would be a nightmare.

comprschrg
08-06-2017, 12:24 PM
RKJ, Thank you. I was told the rifle would go straight to remington/marlin this time and get into the hands of someone that can make a difference. I just hope this whole thing will wake up the person that dose the quality control, like others have said on this thread. Remington now knows this thread exists, It would sure be nice if every person involved would read EVERY post.

RKJ
08-06-2017, 03:56 PM
It just amazes me that you've had to send these rifles back 4 times and still they can't (won't) take the time to make it right. I would think that someone there would take the lead and push this through to take care of you.

comprschrg
08-06-2017, 04:28 PM
It just amazes me that you've had to send these rifles back 4 times and still they can't (won't) take the time to make it right. I would think that someone there would take the lead and push this through to take care of you.

They are this time. I hope, I picked up some more packing tape yesterday. The Brown truck should pick it up tomorrow.

It is sad that probably most of the people that work there do there best. Then some yahoo posts a bunch of stuff like this and makes them look bad. :???:They obviously had a tool that went bad and no one picked up on it. The machine just kept running. I'd love to see or take a tour of the place. I just want to get back to shootin.

RKJ
08-06-2017, 09:02 PM
They are this time. I hope, I picked up some more packing tape yesterday. The Brown truck should pick it up tomorrow.

It is sad that probably most of the people that work there do there best. Then some yahoo posts a bunch of stuff like this and makes them look bad. :???:They obviously had a tool that went bad and no one picked up on it. The machine just kept running. I'd love to see or take a tour of the place. I just want to get back to shootin.

I;m sure you're right about the workers, I still believe that most people take pride in their work. But, someone in management or QC should have taken the lead on it the 2nd time it came back and watched it through to the end. There's no excuse for what you've had to go through with this rifle. My fingers are crossed for you.

comprschrg
08-07-2017, 11:19 AM
I;m sure you're right about the workers, I still believe that most people take pride in their work. But, someone in management or QC should have taken the lead on it the 2nd time it came back and watched it through to the end. There's no excuse for what you've had to go through with this rifle. My fingers are crossed for you.

Thank you.
By the way Have you found any loads that work good for you. The only molds I have for 45-70 are Lyman 457124, 457132 (to big) RCBS 45-325-FN-U, 45-500-BPS (also to big), Saeco #017 (350 fpgc)(no crimp grove :confused:), #018 (405 fp). I've had a good selection loaded up since January when I first ordered the rifle. I've wanted to order a Ranch dog but been kinda put off.

alamogunr
08-07-2017, 12:11 PM

Even good workers get discouraged and quit trying when they are thwarted at every turn by bad management. For some reason something happens to the brains of supposedly good people when they get promoted to "manager".

Several years before I retired, I worked in a facility where everyone hated the top manager except those who spent all their time kissing his a$$.

buckshotshoey
08-07-2017, 04:26 PM
Even good workers get discouraged and quit trying when they are thwarted at every turn by bad management. For some reason something happens to the brains of supposedly good people when they get promoted to "manager".

Several years before I retired, I worked in a facility where everyone hated the top manager except those who spent all their time kissing his a$$.

Yep. Right or wrong, the people I work with don't give a rat's *** if the work gets done right or not. They are just there to collect a paycheck. All due to piss poor management that spends all day trying to catch them doing something wrong. The management where I work are pencil pushing desk jockeys, that would have no idea how to do the job they are managing.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Four bad barrels!!! I cannot believe this thread is still ongoing. I hope fifth is the charm, but at this point I wouldn't hold my breath. Any pictures of the 4th barrel?

comprschrg
08-07-2017, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=2ndAmendmentNut;4119965]Four bad barrels!!! I cannot believe this thread is still ongoing. I hope fifth is the charm, but at this point I wouldn't hold my breath. Any pictures of the 4th barrel?

I do have pictures of the forth barrel. It's really about the same as the others. I used my wives new camera and they came out a little better. I wasn't sure if I should post them because the customer relations guy at marlin seemed so nice. (I know it's his job) I didn't know if I'd be cutting my own throat, but I've already posted this much. So I suppose it doesn't matter. I told customer service about this thread last time, they didn't care. This time (a different person) I also told. He had me go over the pictures with him. He assured me I would be taken care of. The ups driver just picked it up and it is going to a different address than any of the other times.
oops, I uploaded the pictures yesterday, they were there this morning, but now there gone. I'll load them again.

samari46
08-07-2017, 11:39 PM
You sir have way more patience than me. After the second trip around and still have the same problem that Marlin would be long gone. Funny thing, I have two Marlins in 30-30. One is a 336 that I bought used and the kindest thing I can say about it is that it does have rifling. The second is a 336 with AW which I believe is a walmart rifle. Bore on that one is beautiful as is the rest of the rifle. I sincerely hope that wherever your rifle went that they make it good, at this point in time you deserve it. Keep us posted on what you end up with. Best of luck. Frank

2ndAmendmentNut
08-08-2017, 07:13 AM
Pictures please. After four bad barrels you owe the guys at Remington nothing.

RKJ
08-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Thank you.
By the way Have you found any loads that work good for you. The only molds I have for 45-70 are Lyman 457124, 457132 (to big) RCBS 45-325-FN-U, 45-500-BPS (also to big), Saeco #017 (350 fpgc)(no crimp grove :confused:), #018 (405 fp). I've had a good selection loaded up since January when I first ordered the rifle. I've wanted to order a Ranch dog but been kinda put off.

I've just got the LEE 340, I'm still working with it and it does pretty good. I usually start with LEE to figure out my learning curve and move up from there. I'm going to have to look at that RCBS mold you mentioned, I bet that would be just dandy for what I want to do around here in MO.

modified5
08-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Yep. Right or wrong, the people I work with don't give a rat's *** if the work gets done right or not. They are just there to collect a paycheck. All due to piss poor management that spends all day trying to catch them doing something wrong. The management where I work are pencil pushing desk jockeys, that would have no idea how to do the job they are managing.

Sounds like you work where I work!
Our motto is, "The whippings will continue until morale improves!" [smilie=l:
I am an auto tech and it is a small community here. We have no applicants to replace those who have quit, yet the owners love the managers. Go figure. :violin:

modified5
08-08-2017, 09:15 AM
I hope you get this thing squared away this time.
I can not even imagine how high your frustration level is right now.
Remington should compensate you for all the money and time you have wasted on a defective product. Hopefully they will.

comprschrg
08-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Ok I found the pictures. I had to ask the wife where they went. (in her file, in a folder, inside a folder, inside a folder:-?)201405 This is before I cleaned it. It's the best land. You can click on the picture and it will zoom. 201404 This is the side with almost no lands. You can barley get a tooth pick to snag on the bumps. 201403 And cleaned with only one patch of sweets 7.62. can you see any lands? Notice the punch mark on the crown, and the same roller coaster sanded, dull tool crown. No 17 degree target crown here. 201402 Another. 201401 This has the dent in the land. 201400 And last, This is The best, Kinda what the inside of the bore should look like.
I don't know why There are two pictures that got transposed, goofed up in the download. It doesn't matter. you can see the bad side ok.
And no, that's not grease on my fingers. we just got finished pulling all the beets from the garden, boiling them, pealing them. Ahh hence the black in the cracks. then canning them for winter dinner salads. If you haven't canned beets. It's a lot of work if you forget to check how much sugar you have, and have to drive 70 miles round trip to the store. :violin:

comprschrg
08-08-2017, 11:38 AM
I hope you get this thing squared away this time.
I can not even imagine how high your frustration level is right now.
Remington should compensate you for all the money and time you have wasted on a defective product. Hopefully they will.

I've cooled off since last Friday. I'm not going to say how pissed I was. I do have to fix a few holes both inside and outside the house. [smilie=b:[smilie=b:
When I here about all the workforce happiness, ya just know "make america great again" just aint going to happen. really really sad. I worked in a sheet metal shop back in the 70's when I saw some asians taking a tour of the place, I knew it wasn't good. It took this long to make it messed up, I don't see it coming back. My roommate at the time worked at Mack truck, he said everyone got high at lunch. the production went to H@!!. They closed the doors a few months later.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-08-2017, 12:20 PM
That is just crazy! If you managed to get four bad barrels back to back it makes me wonder how many Marlins are out there with half rifled barrels? Is it possible that Marlin/Remington has simply been sending back the same barrel time after time?

comprschrg
08-08-2017, 08:04 PM
That is just crazy! If you managed to get four bad barrels back to back it makes me wonder how many Marlins are out there with half rifled barrels? Is it possible that Marlin/Remington has simply been sending back the same barrel time after time?

No. They were all different barrels. The one I hated to send back was the one with no "Warning read the,,,,,,,," stamped on the side. I thought that was really cool. The picture of that is on page 4 of this thread.
Two rifles came from the factory, and two re barrels came from the repair department. The first rifle was made November 18th of 2016 and the second rifle was made a few months later in 2017 I couldn't get them to give me an exact date of the second rifle, They just said a few month ago. That was the first part of June.

lightload
08-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Once I read that temporary workers made up the Marlin crew. If it works there like it's done here, the temporary workers work for a company that contracts them to Remington. This may or may not be true.

Texas by God
08-18-2017, 04:07 PM
I have read every post on this thread and for the life of me I can't find the one where you say you shot this gun. That does not excuse Remington's poor handling of the situation but I am curious why have you not fired it? And what the hell is a registration fee?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

gpidaho
08-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Well, after much ado, the 1895 cowboy is back to the point of sale and money refunded in full. It was like pulling teeth to get the money back even with their so called life time warranty Dollars to donuts that it's back on the shelf awaiting the next sucker to come along. Uncle Bud is sending us a new 45-70 Henry octagon, case hardened rifle. It should be in Monday. I've bought my last item from Remlin. Gp

historicfirearms
08-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Pitiful. That's all I can say about Remington Marlins. They will go out of business if they can't get their stuff together soon.

buckshotshoey
08-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Pitiful. That's all I can say about Remington Marlins. They will go out of business if they can't get their stuff together soon.

If they do, all of you that have JM Marlins will see them double in price. A used JM Marlin right now is selling for more then a new Remington.

sghart3578
08-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Is it any surprise that Remington's sales are down, a lot?

http://www.guns.com/2017/08/19/remington-sales-fell-24-in-q2/

gpidaho
08-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Let's all do our part to drive a stake in the heart of Remington and the Freedom Group (owners) They've got away with selling their name on what in my opinion is just plain shoddy products. Gp

iMigraine
08-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Gpidaho,

Give us a range report on your Henry 45-70 when you get a chance. This thread pretty much crushed my hopes for a new Remlin 45-70 CBA.

gpidaho
08-20-2017, 10:41 AM
iMigraine: I'm looking forward to the new Henry and hoping problems are behind us. I'll be happy to share my thoughts with you when we have the chance to work with it a bit. I picked up a 45-70 Handi barrel here at Boolits S&S to do some load development. I had wanted a 1895 Marlin Cowboy for months(45-70) and it was a big disappointment that it turned out to be such a piece of ****. Hope I've saved you from the experience. Gp

jmort
08-20-2017, 10:43 AM
I only buy JMs
No Remlins
Hard to find them cheap, but worth the extra time and $$$

gpidaho
08-20-2017, 10:44 AM
^^^^^^^Good idea

Taylor
08-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Let's all do our part to drive a stake in the heart of Remington and the Freedom Group (owners) They've got away with selling their name on what in my opinion is just plain shoddy products. Gp

Maybe that was the plan to begin with.

comprschrg
08-20-2017, 01:42 PM
I have read every post on this thread and for the life of me I can't find the one where you say you shot this gun. That does not excuse Remington's poor handling of the situation but I am curious why have you not fired it? And what the hell is a registration fee?

Texas is one of the great last states if they don't have a registration/background check. Our wonderful liberal governor changed our laws a few years back. Now we have a $10.00 background/registration fee when you purchase a firearm. It's just another way for the state to make a buck and keep track of who is purchasing firearms. States can charge what they like. California has a $30.00 fee. and if it (the firearm) is used, comes from another state, the ffl dealer can charge as much as they like for the import fee. I've herd of as much as $250.00. on top of the 30.00 bucks. It never gets cheaper.

As far as shooting the 1895, yea I did shoot it one time, with a 405 grain jacketed flat nose. it shot a one hole group:)
I thought about seeing how well I could make it shoot, but come on. really? what is the point. I purchased this to shoot lead. I'm sure I could get a combination to work, people that have the micro groves can get theirs to shoot.
These barrels were missing 1/3 of the rifling and the other 2/3 were shallower than micro grove. This is copy and pasted from post number 5 of this thread.

It might have shot good? the groves on the deep side are about .002 deep and the other side is only scratches. I read somewhere micro grove are .003 deep. The slugs I pounded down the bore had what looked like normal lands and groves on one side, One good deep, and shallow on each side, the other looked like a bunch of super shallow microgroves and one on each side of it getting deeper. It measured .4537 and .4568

If I'm not mistaken Marlin advertises there's as (ballard type) a normal ballard type 45-70 should be .450 to .457/8 That is .0035 to .004 per side. not .002
According to ups tracking Marlin received my rifle on the 16th, so I hope it won't be too long before I can post some pics of how it shoots.
Gp Good to hear you got that straighten out. Those are purrrdy!

Texas by God
08-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Thank you for that info. We have instant check but it's free. If you have a LTC the instant check is waived. I'm glad to live in a free for now state and I admire you for not quitting.
Best,Thomas.

snowwolfe
08-20-2017, 08:10 PM
After reading this thread decided to exam the GBL I bought new about 6 months ago. Compared to other rifles the lands sure are shallow. Stuck a dry toothpick into the muzzle and it would catch on each land but it still seems shallow. Crown looked very good.

comprschrg
08-21-2017, 05:23 PM
Texas,
That's funny I had to look up LTC. We call it "concealed carry permit" here. That's all it's good for in this state though.

snowwolfe,
You got lucky! Believe me you'd be able to feel it if you had no lands using a tooth pick. mine would barley, barley stick on the missing lands.

skeettx
08-21-2017, 06:57 PM
License to Carry = external or concealed
So far all have acted appropriately.
Good stuff
Mike

dikman
08-23-2017, 02:45 AM
Mate, full marks for your tenacity! I can understand where you're coming from as I've sometimes done similar things (as a matter of principle). You must really want this rifle, however, to put yourself through this. Me, I would have cut and run in this case because I would have been worried about the quality of the rest of the rifle.

Hope it works out for you.

comprschrg
08-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Mate, full marks for your tenacity! I can understand where you're coming from as I've sometimes done similar things (as a matter of principle). You must really want this rifle, however, to put yourself through this. Me, I would have cut and run in this case because I would have been worried about the quality of the rest of the rifle.

Hope it works out for you.

Thanks, Me too! what can possibly go wrong. :???: Now I know what people do when they retire. Maybe I should of gone fishing.

gpidaho
08-23-2017, 10:59 PM
comprschrg; I won't stomp around in your thread anymore than like dikman I'm proud of you for sticking with it in an effort to make Remlin do what's right. My 1895 Cowboy was just so much a *** that I couldn't deal with them sending it back without repair and a target and a note that "It shoots just fine" when the rifling looked like it had been cut by a chimpanzee using a pick ax. The New Henry arrived today and it's just beautiful. the checkering is perfect and the bore looks like a mirror. I'll let you know how it shoots when I get all together. Now I know there is a reason most of us choose the $400 rifle over the $800 rifle and believe me I'm in the same boat but for dollar spent I'd most certainly recommend you all opt for the Henry and I'm DONE with Remlin. Gp

comprschrg
08-24-2017, 12:05 PM
gpidaho; Thank you also. I don't think your stomping at all, I'm sure you wiped your feet. :razz: I'll keep an eye out for your target report.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, where is Remington having you send the gun? I picked up a new 870 that had a tight/rough chamber that would fuse a fired shell into the chamber. I contacted Remington CS and they told me to mail it to a place called Triton Arms in VA. I boxed it up and shipped it at my own expense. UPS tracking number said delivered on 8-18-17. I contacted Remington CS again this Tuesday to see if I could get a status update. Remington claims they never received my shotgun... I provided them with the ticket number, the serial number, the UPS tracking number (which shows the name/signature of the individual that signed for it) still no luck finding my shotgun.

gpidaho
09-06-2017, 05:53 PM
This is just my opinion but I can't see how Remington could possibly keep track of all the guns that must be coming back judging by my last two purchases. They can't be bothered trying to fix the unfixable *** products that they a putting out these days that would take time away from making more hacked up unworkable junk. When I catch my breath, I'll tell you all what I really think of Remington. Gp

gpidaho
09-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Cleaning up the new Henry 45-70 today, getting all the oil and test-fire gunk out. What an absolute beautiful rifle. the case hardening is so pretty it looks like it came out of Turnbull's shop. Wondering of topic again. lol Gp

ARKLITE881South
09-06-2017, 07:10 PM
I read these posts last week, a friend of mine ordered a brand new Henry Silver Boy, 357 mag. He got it, shot it, called me back told me how well it shot. Then called me back later to tell me the rifling was not as sharp and defined as it should be at the muzzle. Said it looked like some one used a dremal tool on it.It also had lots of red polishing compound on the receiver, and a scratch on the receiver as well. He said he could over look the excess polishing compound, even the scratch. But the inside of the barrel at the muzzle, just could not keep it looking like that. He called them today, they are sending a mailer and the guy assured him it would be fixed and fixed right.

comprschrg
09-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, where is Remington having you send the gun? I picked up a new 870 that had a tight/rough chamber that would fuse a fired shell into the chamber. I contacted Remington CS and they told me to mail it to a place called Triton Arms in VA. I boxed it up and shipped it at my own expense. UPS tracking number said delivered on 8-18-17. I contacted Remington CS again this Tuesday to see if I could get a status update. Remington claims they never received my shotgun... I provided them with the ticket number, the serial number, the UPS tracking number (which shows the name/signature of the individual that signed for it) still no luck finding my shotgun.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been replacing my water line from the pump house to my house. 525 feet of 1 1/4 pipe. yee haa. I am getting good at operating the back hoe even though it looks like a chinaman will poke his head up, it's so deep:kidding:.
That's crazy and scary, them not having the information about your shot gun. Have they found it yet?
Mine has gotten shipped to a few different places. Mann Son Sporting goods pinckneyville Ill. two times.
and two times to 14 hoefler av. Ilion NY. with different Att: to's.
Completely different than yours.

ARKLITE881South; I'm sure his will get fixed perfect. let us know how it turns out.

GP; you lucky dog you. :grin: I've got a winchester that I would like to send to turnbull, (it will never happen) But your Henry looks like a much, much better deal, I like the way the action works on the Henry also.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Sorry for the late reply. I've been replacing my water line from the pump house to my house. 525 feet of 1 1/4 pipe. yee haa. I am getting good at operating the back hoe even though it looks like a chinaman will poke his head up, it's so deep:kidding:.
That's crazy and scary, them not having the information about your shot gun. Have they found it yet?
Mine has gotten shipped to a few different places. Mann Son Sporting goods pinckneyville Ill. two times.
and two times to 14 hoefler av. Ilion NY. with different Att: to's.
Completely different than yours.

ARKLITE881South; I'm sure his will get fixed perfect. let us know how it turns out.

GP; you lucky dog you. :grin: I've got a winchester that I would like to send to turnbull, (it will never happen) But your Henry looks like a much, much better deal, I like the way the action works on the Henry also.

No, they have not found it yet.

comprschrg
09-12-2017, 12:26 PM
2ndAmendmentNut; No, they have not found it yet.
That just BITES! It's gota be just a mater of time before it gets found.

I got a free 1884 trap door kinda that way. The brown truck guys lost it in transit. waited the allotted time for the insurance payoff. Then they found the rifle in the damaged/over goods. They sent me the rifle, it was damaged, (a little) they didn't want a firearm to deal with, so they sent me the insurance check and told me to keep the rifle. I was very happy

Now I feel guilty that my 1895 is in route to my front door step. it got sent on the 6th. Should be here any day.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Glad to hear your 1895 is on its way back. We all have our fingers crossed for you. Let us know asap.

comprschrg
09-14-2017, 01:47 PM
YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!

Note to new readers: This is the fifth bad barrel on my brand new now nine months old Marlin 1895 SBL

I got the 1895 yesterday. My buddy that drives the brown truck was shaking his head when I rushed out the door like a kid on Christmas. The box was worse than the rag doll box about three times ago. It was rolled up on the end like a newspaper. He said "I gota see what's inside. It has to be smashed". I opened it up to see more crushed styorfoam, and a purdy to me lever action rifle. Luckily the rifle looked ok. But. Drum roll.(very short) Another bad barrel. (Not allowed to say what I thinking). A call to remington got me another email to send it back. He wants pictures of course. and I know you do too. It's really smokey from the fires today, and the over 100 pictures didn't come out very good, and I'm still doing my water line. it's more important. Supposed to freeze next monday:groner:
They did find a much better butt stock, and the rifling is better, but it's still Very shallow on one side with groves in the lands, and steps up to the lands on the ? better side. When you look down the breach end you can barley see the one barley visible land all the way down to the muzzle. When I mentioned I can use a tooth pick to feel how tall the lands are I was told "that's not how we measure here". But my point is if you can feel the difference with a tooth pick, there must be more than a few thousandths difference. And you can SEE from the muzzle there is not much depth to the land. If I look at ANY, and ALL of any bore. you can see the lands even microgrove!!!!! Yes this is also for remington to read. People doing quality control: Please take notes if you need to be reminded!
I know now. These are all from the same run. They don't have any good stainless barrels in stock. Will the next batch be better? Who knows??? I was told, they picked a good barrel.
Oh yea, I almost would like to take a poll to see if I should get my money back.? uahh daa.

gpidaho
09-14-2017, 04:14 PM
comprschrg: Give it up my friend. They don't make any good barrels or they would have put one on by now just to get rid of you. It's my opinion that although folks have been rifling barrels for centuries the process escapes Remington. Gp Oh! I forgot to mention, I fired 33 rounds of 45-70 the other day about half and half out of the new Henry (love that gun) and my Handi rifle. My old shoulder hurts. LOL Gp

comprschrg
09-14-2017, 05:01 PM
comprschrg: Give it up my friend. They don't make any good barrels or they would have put one on by now just to get rid of you. It's my opinion that although folks have been rifling barrels for centuries the process escapes Remington. Gp Oh! I forgot to mention, I fired 33 rounds of 45-70 the other day about half and half out of the new Henry (love that gun) and my Handi rifle. My old shoulder hurts. LOL Gp

what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger:Fire: You just need a thicker pad.
I know your right now. I'm just going to get my money back this time. I've wanted one of these since I saw one back in 2007. I saved, and squirreled my nickles and dimes for years to get one. The line finally broke. my bubble is popped. :violin:

gpidaho
09-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Same story here I'd been saying how I wanted the1895 cowboy for a couple of years, the kids didn't see me making progress and bought me one for fathers day. What a disappointment for all concerned. You have had the patience of Job but sometimes you just have to walk away and you would never feel right about selling a rifle like that. Hope the next rifle works for you. Gp

EMC45
09-14-2017, 08:27 PM
Get your money back. You are way more patient than I am.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Get your money back if you can. Buy a Henry or save for a Browning 86. Just for the hell of it I would shoot it and see how accuracy (or lack there of) is.

P.S. Remington still has not found my shotgun. They can't even make a smooth bore right.

comprschrg
09-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Get your money back if you can. Buy a Henry or save for a Browning 86. Just for the hell of it I would shoot it and see how accuracy (or lack there of) is.

P.S. Remington still has not found my shotgun. They can't even make a smooth bore right.

It just sounds better and better for them.
I am going to try and get my money back. I took hundreds of pictures yesterday, deleted about 2/3rds. And the rest don't look good.
This barrel is better looking than the rest, but it still has one bad/almost not there land, with a grove in it the depth of the rest. (which wouldn't hurt accuracy "IF" the rest of the land was as tall as the rest. (now im babbling)
A few of the other lands have a step up to the land. You'll see when I post the pictures.
I'm trying to get pictures that are easy to compare the different lands/groves, but it's not working. They look like I'm doctoring them. I'm not that good though. It took me about and hour to find where the pictures got sent this time. These computers drive me crazy.
I think what they are doing now is making the lands and groves so shallow just the slightest imperfection looks like the grand canyon.
I have to get the light so perfect you can see one land and the ones next to it look like a smooth bore. really sad.
When you look at the muzzle you have to get the light just right even to be able to see rifling at the crown edge. They are more shallow than micro-grove.
I would like to slug the bore, or do a chamber cast to see what is going on. Something tells me they are trying to make a more cost effective rifling and it isn't working.
gota go, got a busy day.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-15-2017, 11:52 AM
A third option might be to look into having a professional rebarrel the rifle and have Remington pay for it. I doubt that will fly, but might be something to offer Remington.

dikman
09-16-2017, 07:06 PM
I have to agree with gpidaho, they obviously don't make good barrels as getting five bad ones in a row is ridiculous. It also doesn't say much for the "effort" they're putting into making sure you are looked after. You've given it a good try, and been very patient, but I reckon it's time to cut your losses. I guess the moral of the story is unless you can find one of the old Marlins then it's best to give this company a big miss. (I'm waiting to pick up my Uberti 1866 Yellowboy and have no concerns about having problems as Uberti have a pretty good reputation these days, along with Pedersoli).

By the way, some time ago I bought a cheap "endoscope" thingy off ebay. It hooks up to a laptop, and while it's not a high end camera it's great for poking down the bore of a gun to see what it's like and I can take photos of the inside if I need to.

Good luck.

2ndAmendmentNut
09-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Well it took them a month but Remington now claims to have found my shotgun and be "working" on it.

MaLar
09-18-2017, 12:05 PM
This thread alone has stopped me even looking at a Remington or Marlin.

alamogunr
09-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Apologize for off topic but this weekend I visited a friend and he showed me his guns. He is not a big gun person but he had a Marlin 336(I didn't see a JM on it anywhere but it did have a slim forend. Beautiful gun. I had never seen one without the FAT forend. I should have noted the serial so I could look up the date of manufacture. I will the next time I see him.

gpidaho
09-18-2017, 12:57 PM
MaLar; That is the #1 reason I love our forum. Getting the word out to our friends when we feel we have been wronged buy others and save them the grief some of us have been through with what in my opinion is just shoddy products and services. Enjoy the day. Gp

comprschrg
09-22-2017, 08:36 PM
2ndAmendmentNut; Glad to here your scatter gun has been found

MaLar; Just be very careful if you ever do think about buying one. I think someone said they only have trained monkeys assembling parts that a machine kicks out. There is no one their to make sure the monkeys are using the right parts.

All I can say is this was probably a good time for marlin to see if they could assemble a rifle that was done correct. they can't?. won't? don't care? Who knows. They put out nice looking ones from the custom shop that aren't much more than I paid for this one. This gun listed for $1,146.00 I paid just under one thousand bucks. It has man made plywood stocks, and probably less work than the blued steel model that can be had for 400 bucks with a rebate. How greedy can they be. How stupid can I be for buying it in the first place.? Just because it looks cool.

Finally I've got my water line done, fixed over tightened buried broken fittings and ready for the next project. First, I shouldn't have accepted the package. Sorry the pictures won't download. The box looked like it got ran over, then rolled up and taped. I'll keep trying to figure out how to get the pics here from my phone.

Any way here are some pictures of the, ahh Where to start. The new and better stock, Notice the saw blade cut under the feather edge. any one that has worked with wood knows it will raise and peel http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
Then there is the new number five barrel that was professionally installed. Just that no body told them you need to make sure it's clocked at 12:00 not 12:15

You can also see the fore end cap with a gap on the left side. (right as looking at it) That is proof the barrel is not clocked right and the mag tube is proud on the left side also when looking down the barrel.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

This picture is how they make up for not installing the barrel right. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

And more pictures of there tooling gone bad. This is the only good land in the tube. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

This is a picture of a "step" to the land. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Here is a picture of a valley in one of the lands. Which by the way can be seen all the way from the chamber to the muzzle. (looking from the chamber end) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

This picture shows how shallow the lands/groves are to each other. Just get the light right and you cant see them. even with a tooth pic, it's difficult to tell which click is a grove, grove in the grove, land, or valley in the land.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Well that got goofed up. I don't know what happened. Last time you could make the pics larger, Sorry.

gpidaho
09-22-2017, 11:25 PM
They just can't get it right can they? Hope we don't hear stories in the paper about someone going off the edge, 45-70 in hand. Sorry, I shouldn't even joke about that, but this level of incompetence is just beyond belief. Gp

comprschrg
09-23-2017, 03:46 PM
They just can't get it right can they? Hope we don't hear stories in the paper about someone going off the edge, 45-70 in hand. Sorry, I shouldn't even joke about that, but this level of incompetence is just beyond belief. Gp

That couldn't happen to me, I'm too lazy.

Right again though, This is worse than the ones before being they didn't index or clock the barrel right. They shot the thing and sent a target with three holes in it. they measure 1 1/2 inch which is great if it's at 100 yards. But the rifling is still defective, and It just should have been a clue that they had to move the rear site all the way to the right to get it to shoot where they wanted it. when you look down the site picture it's just not right. the front site is canted. That drives me nuts. and if you look at the barrel you can see the mag tube a little prouder on the left side, and the fore end cap it smashed into the barrel on the right side with a large gap on the other. That also makes a gap on the fore end. you can see it in the picture with the bubbles. The last two barrels this gun had on it, it wasn't that way.!! it's not right.! the person that did it had to know.

gpidaho
09-23-2017, 04:26 PM
comprschrg: Same thing when I sent mine back for repair. Remlin seems to think if they send you a target shot somewhere by someone at some unknown distance that it is somehow proof that everything is just fine and you should be happy with the ***. Incompetence at the highest in my opinion. Gp

dikman
09-24-2017, 07:04 PM
They appear to have excelled themselves with this one!!!

Strtspdlx
09-24-2017, 09:45 PM
I was going to buy a marlin Saturday and all I could think about was this thread and all the horror stories I've heard. I wouldn't be opposed to a Henry if it had a loading gate. I think I will need to overlook the loading gate at this point and go with a nice rifle. I work to hard to spend my money on junk. Especially if the customer service is horrible. I hope someone who sits behind a desk sees this thread and decides to fix the problem or stop making the problem. Best of luck. I wouldn't have given them a chance after the second time.

gpidaho
09-25-2017, 12:51 PM
It appears that Marlin has had an adequate time to work over these barrel problems. In the newest addition of the American Rifleman on the questions and answers page (50) there is a question about a Marlin 44-40 serial #425 where it is stated "Interestingly, the barrel's bore is drilled off center." Remington seems to have inherited the technology . lol Gp

45-70marlin
09-25-2017, 02:37 PM
Last week i bought a new guide gun,blue,walnut. I looked it over and it looked good. When i got it home and ran a patch in the bore i could see the rifling was galled about halfway down. So i went and hand lapped the barrel and it cleaned up pretty good. I e-mailed remlin and told them what was wrong and how i delt with it. I thought they would void warrenty but instead they just said if it didnt shoot good to let them know and have it sent back. After reading this nightmare i am not sure i will send it back. The rifle was made i think in jan. 2016. Other wise this rifle is really nice shape. Havent shot it yet so will see.

comprschrg
09-25-2017, 05:48 PM
I'm going to try posting more pictures because my conversation with remington this morning only got me a "those pictures look fine" no bad barrel. I think they are getting degraded some how. I want to see if these show up better. the first pictures is of the best land in the bore. It should give you something to judge the other pictures by, or compare them to.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=204674&d=1506375252&thumb=1&stc=1

(right side) left side land has a step in it.

now these next two pictures are of the worst section of the barrel. there is a large valley in the right third part of the land

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=204675&d=1506375311&thumb=1&stc=1

Here is another picture. I wanted to make sure you could see the notch all the way to the crown. proof there is a valley.

I don't know why the pictures are showing up on the bottom and not in the writing. they aren't in the order I copied them ether. Backwards. and they are grainy. I promise they look good on my computer. I don't know if they look good here? sorry. Can you see the valley in the land? you'll just have to believe me the valley is 1/3 of the land and it is as deep as the grove.

comprschrg
09-25-2017, 06:16 PM
Last week i bought a new guide gun,blue,walnut. I looked it over and it looked good. When i got it home and ran a patch in the bore i could see the rifling was galled about halfway down. So i went and hand lapped the barrel and it cleaned up pretty good. I e-mailed remlin and told them what was wrong and how i delt with it. I thought they would void warrenty but instead they just said if it didnt shoot good to let them know and have it sent back. After reading this nightmare i am not sure i will send it back. The rifle was made i think in jan. 2016. Other wise this rifle is really nice shape. Havent shot it yet so will see.

If it shoots good I wouldn't send it back. It can get worse!

oldblinddog
09-25-2017, 06:47 PM
I'm going to try posting more pictures because my conversation with remington this morning only got me a "those pictures look fine" no bad barrel. I think they are getting degraded some how. I want to see if these show up better. the first pictures is of the best land in the bore. It should give you something to judge the other pictures by, or compare them to.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=204674&d=1506375252&thumb=1&stc=1

(right side) left side land has a step in it.

now these next two pictures are of the worst section of the barrel. there is a large valley in the right third part of the land

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=204675&d=1506375311&thumb=1&stc=1

Here is another picture. I wanted to make sure you could see the notch all the way to the crown. proof there is a valley.

I don't know why the pictures are showing up on the bottom and not in the writing. they aren't in the order I copied them ether. Backwards. and they are grainy. I promise they look good on my computer. I don't know if they look good here? sorry. Can you see the valley in the land? you'll just have to believe me the valley is 1/3 of the land and it is as deep as the grove.

Have you slugged this barrel? If so, what are it's measurements? I'm just curious. I looked at two just last week. One was an 1895CB and the other was a GBL (is that right???) they both had rifling but it appeared that the grooves were shallow. The CB was pre-owned but unfired. Not sure of it's vintage. The other was new. I think both were manufactured at least one + year ago.

45-70marlin
09-25-2017, 08:31 PM
I really don't want to send it back. I will shoot it Thursday. It looks like to me that during the cutting of the rifling the chips are not cleaned out properly and then gall the rifling. My guess. It sucks as this rifle looks real good,the only other complaint is the sharp edges on the leaver. I will shoot about 50 300 gr. Hornady hp threw it to smooth it up. If it shoots good that will be the only jacked bullets this gun will see. I wish remlin would get their act together.

comprschrg
09-25-2017, 10:52 PM
oldblinddog; yes, they make GBL.(guide big loop) not sure on the guide. It's the blued one. Mine is the sbl. stainless big loop.

I haven't slugged the bore. I did try a pin gauge. the .450 was the largest that would fit. I've been so busy I haven't had time to do that. It's boxed and ready for ups right now. I held off for a week, hoping to do that. (slug it) but this morning talking with Marlin my return order got started and I had to box it up.

There web site says deep-cut ballard type rifling. Mine is NOT deep cut. I wish the marlin rep. could see the bore. He would be able to see how shallow it is. It goes somewhere else. All he can see is my crummy pictures.
I really don't know how the blued barrels are.

GP had a bad one and got his money back.
If you can take a tooth pick with you and snag the lands and groves. you'll be able to tell if they are bad or not. Mine is VERY obvious. I can feel groves in the lands, and groves in the groves. the bad lands are so shallow the tooth pic will barley snag.

45-70marlin; My first few barrels looked the same way, in that it looked like chips were cutting more that the cutter. I'm not sure how they cut the rifling on these. I know what you mean on the sharp edges. That was part of the reason I picked the stainless. I went to town with a file and sandpaper.

I wish they'd get there act together too. believe it or not I told Marlin I'd still rather get a good barrel put on than get my money back. He said they were in spec. He needs to physically go there and look for himself.

oldblinddog
09-26-2017, 12:14 AM
The one I looked at was stainless. The grooves were deeper than yours but not by much. The CB was blued, of course, and it's barrel was about like yours is.

gpidaho
09-26-2017, 06:02 PM
comprscrg; To add to the worries here, there have been reports of the receivers cracking on the front-bottom where the barrels thread in on Remlin 45-70s. As many times as barrels have been screwed in and out plus the over clocking issue it may be time to start with a whole new rifle. Gp

dikman
09-26-2017, 07:23 PM
"He said they were in spec". How does he know that? And if what you're experiencing is considered "in spec"........:holysheep

comprschrg
09-26-2017, 09:29 PM
comprscrg; To add to the worries here, there have been reports of the receivers cracking on the front-bottom where the barrels thread in on Remlin 45-70s. As many times as barrels have been screwed in and out plus the over clocking issue it may be time to start with a whole new rifle. Gp

Wholly Molly, I'd like you to send me more information on that! or where you saw that! Now I want to cut into the box that ups hasn't picked up yet, and remove the note saying IF you have a good barrel, you can put it on and not refund my money. (I've sent them a photo of my receipt, and all is in motion) I know they don't have a good barrel though. :mad: So it doesn't matter.
I keep thinking of keeping it, but then I remember it's not clocked right. Then I get mad all over. I think I slept about an hour last night.

dikman; Just when I thought no body was paying attention you chime in. That really bugged me too.

the person I talked to said they were in spec. He is in a different state. He also said Dakota arms, remingtons "custom shop" uses the same barrels. If they would use any of the barrels that were on my guns and not get one complaint, I'd pay for all re-barreling they've done. I have to call BULL on that! Every time I talk to him I start out thinking they will take care of me. By the time I hang up, I realize I'm just another problem they need to get rid of. With minimal expense and I feel like I got raped. But, they want to give me my money back. Wow. Why can't they just give me what I paid for?

Now I'm going to have a beer so I can cry into it.

dikman
09-27-2017, 03:21 AM
Don't cry into your beer, you'll ruin a perfectly good beer! You're probably right, they just want to get rid of you and offering a refund is probably their best option. I'd take it, because it's likely that deep down you will never be happy with the rifle after all this. Time to start looking for something else.

For Marlin/Remington it's too late, the damage has been done and this thread is now out there for anyone searching for problems with this model. In fact, if you do a google search on "Marlin 1895 problems" an awful lot of posts come up, some go back a few years. Seems they haven't learned anything in the intervening years.

nekshot
09-27-2017, 09:19 AM
I totally get every bodies frustration but I would be simple enough to shoot some cast thru it just to see what happens. What if it would be your best shooting cast gun?

comprschrg
09-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Don't cry into your beer, you'll ruin a perfectly good beer! You're probably right, they just want to get rid of you and offering a refund is probably their best option. I'd take it, because it's likely that deep down you will never be happy with the rifle after all this. Time to start looking for something else.

For Marlin/Remington it's too late, the damage has been done and this thread is now out there for anyone searching for problems with this model. In fact, if you do a google search on "Marlin 1895 problems" an awful lot of posts come up, some go back a few years. Seems they haven't learned anything in the intervening years.

Yesterday after talking with the Marlin rep. I did a search on this problem because of what he said. He said, if they were all bad he'd see this problem all day long. insinuating this is all new to him. Your right. I'm not the only one. It's been going on for years!

nekshot; "I totally get every bodies frustration but I would be simple enough to shoot some cast thru it just to see what happens. What if it would be your best shooting cast gun?"

I wish is was that easy. Even the marlin rep. said "the canted barrel concerns me more than the bad rifling" Why did they have to adjust the rear site all the way to the right? And why is the cap so crooked? Is it just not clocked enough?, or are the dove tails machined wrong? all of the above?

Then there is the rifling. He said they have a two thousandths tolerance. if the land is three thousandth tall, take away two and you have what is in mine. I took a picture of the only good land in the barrel so you would have something to judge the others by. you have to look close because the pictures are getting degraded somehow. I think it's because they get sent to a folder inside a folder, in program in a folder inside another folder. they look good on my computer, but they are grainy and don't show up very well.

The worst land is almost non existent with one third of it having a grove as deep as the land is tall. It doesn't show up very well because there is only about one thousandth to start with. every other land has something wrong with it also. I've had 4 other ones before! I kind of know what they look like!

I also know the marlin rep is reading this. He said things only if he had.

It's defective! Plain and simple!

It's kind of like buying a car with a v-8 engine and only 7 cylinders work.

I have wanted to shoot it. But then again Why waist my ammo. See above.

Now I can go back to bed because I had another sleepless night consumed with festering haunted memories of my one sided conversation with marlin. I feel a little better now.

45-70marlin
09-27-2017, 12:18 PM
Remlin sent me a return no. I haven't shot it yet so I will wait till tomorrow. It would be going to N.Y. for repair. If one could only trust them to fix it right. ��

comprschrg
09-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Remlin sent me a return no. I haven't shot it yet so I will wait till tomorrow. It would be going to N.Y. for repair. If one could only trust them to fix it right. ��

You might ask them to de horn the lever while there at it? Mine was so sharp I could trim my fingernails. Best of luck.

Oh yea, Let us know how she works! Dose your camera work any better than mine?:neutral:

45-70marlin
09-27-2017, 01:36 PM
I already fixed the leaver along with a lot of stoneing and such. Another reason i dont want to send it back. I will post here how it shoots. The only other worry would be lead or jacket fouling in the bore.

dikman
09-27-2017, 10:03 PM
I'm sure that many would buy this rifle without being aware of things being wrong with it. If it shoots and they can hit something they're probably happy. So they will be a happy customer with no complaints. The number of complaints on the 'net, however, by people who do know something about rifles, is quite impressive - and concerning. I can assure you that when I buy something I research it on the 'net first, and pay attention to what people are saying. No way would I buy one of these, based on what people are saying. (That's why I'm buying an Uberti, not cheap but excellent quality).

gpidaho
09-27-2017, 10:41 PM
dikman; Good idea, I think those Uberti rifles are very nice. Had the new Henry at the range today to get the Leupold 4X scope set. The rifle loves a 405gr. hollow base, a 315gr. not so much so far. After getting the scope somewhere near the bullseye five of the 405s went into 1 3/4" at 50yrds. I'm happy with that for a first try with that big thumper. Also, you're right most folks buy a new rifle and blame the poor performance on themselves and just put the gun away without a whimper. Gun shops and manufactures count on this in my opinion. Gp

ulav8r
09-27-2017, 11:02 PM
Can you slug the barrel and send them the slug? That should show them the condition of the lands/grooves.

45-70marlin
09-28-2017, 09:43 PM
Success! I shot the guide gun today with the Hornady 300gr. hp. Using 55.0gr. of IMR-4895. I got 2 shots about a 1/2" apart and one about a 11/4" from the other 2. Not bad! Will keep the rifle and not send it back. There was no fouling after 50 shots. Hit everything I shot at. I have a 3x7 Leupold vx1 on the rifle. Will cast up some boolits and see how they do. I tried to download a picture but can't do it. Will try later.

45-70marlin
09-28-2017, 10:03 PM

dikman
09-29-2017, 01:27 AM
You must be feeling pretty pleased with that. Obviously some good ones occasionally slip past the lack-of-quality control.:wink:

45-70marlin
09-29-2017, 07:26 AM
I am sure the lapping of the barrel had a lot to do with it. You can still see the galling but is much smoother. I really didnt want to send it back. The 2 molds i will be useing are the 330gr. Gould boolit and the 45-300 RCBS.

dikman
09-29-2017, 07:54 AM
Comprschrg, I was just browsing through youtube, looking for stuff on the1873, when I came across this little gem (I can't post the link but look up Death of the Marlin Levergun). Runs for 18 minutes but it sounded awfully familiar [smilie=1:, even though it was made in 2012. In a nutshell the guy bought a Marlin 1895SBL, lots of problems leading to a refund eventually. In the meantime he bought an 1895ABL. He stripped it down to clean it up, but when he put it back together he couldn't even cycle the action! He eventually realised why the screws weren't tight when he stripped it - once tightened it wouldn't work!

Texas by God
09-29-2017, 11:06 AM
204830I think it will just get better from here.
Good shooting!

old woody
09-29-2017, 05:30 PM
Quite a thread. Jeez !!!!

Tripplebeards
09-29-2017, 07:16 PM
After looking at your shallow rifling it reminded me of a brushed chrome mark 19 desert eagle With both 50ae and 44 mag barrels. The 50ea's grooves were shallower than yours. It was a joke. I traded it for a 4wheeler 15 years ago and never looked back. That pistol was and is a heavy piece of junk that belongs as a movie prop only.

gpidaho
09-29-2017, 10:51 PM
First casts today with a new NOE 460-405-RF RG2. Hope they shoot as good as they look. Gp

comprschrg
10-04-2017, 01:55 PM
My internet hasn't been working for a week. I herd most of Oregon was out for only three days. Just one of the many benefits of living out in the boonies. At least the power shorts don't reset all the electronics a few times a day like they did ten years ago. Only a few times a week now. Surge protectors are a must. The last good power surge blew out my battery backup surge protector.[smilie=b:

dikman; I just watched the youtube video you talked about. Don't tell anyone, but I watched that video before I bought mine. I figured it's been a few more years, They've got to have all the issues fixed by now, So I ordered one.

The problems are all the same! Even the loose screws!

Those Uberti's are nice. Cowboy action shooters wouldn't use them if they weren't. You got that right back on post #208

Ulav8r; I thought about that too. I doubt they would know what they were looking at. Seriously! To make it even worse, The last ones I made, I used a pure lead 457124 slug, hit it with hammer till it was large enough, then sent it down the bore. It kind of resembles a turd. It did work though.:-?

45-70marlin; Doesn't it make you feel good to fix something that was supposed to be right, and make it better. I'm glad you didn't send it back now. Good going!

gp; Very nice! I only have one RG mold. The hollow point is kinda sticky on mine. Next time I use it I want to try the flat point pin.

Tripplebeards; Smart, very smart.

comprschrg
10-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Well according to ups tracking My fifth 1895 was received back at the Marlin repair this morning.

Now that they have my sales receipt I can’t help but wonder if maybe they just might put a good barrel on it. My thinking is or should I say hoping that I showed them proof I bought the gun. (just under one thousand dollars) And now they might do the right thing. I wrote a note stating I’d still rather have a rifle with a good barrel, than My money back. "If" they can find a good barrel from there stock pile of defective barrels. I’ll let you know if they send me the rifle, or a check.

Since this last proof they don't know what they are doing, or just don't care. I've done a little searching for all the same problems.

The bad rifling problem Marlin has, has been going on for years. I don't know if they just put a good barrel on every now and then, But They have a BUNCH of bad barrels!

If you are in the mind set to want a lever action do yourself a favor. Look and listen. Marlin lever action rifle have issues. There is a history of barrels with no rifling, and barrels not clocked correct like mine. Loose screws. If properly tightened the gun doesn't work. Sharp edges. Oh yea, and also cracked receivers at the barrel thread! It is true! all you have to do is look it up!

If you have one of the newer marlins, Take it apart, or have a gun smith take it apart. look under the mag tube. Some of them are cracked, or machined so thin the barrel threads show through!
Or better yet, lets just say there are other lever guns out there.

I just wish I'd listened to all the warnings!!!! I thought "this couldn't happen to me" "I know what to look for" But I ordered the thing, thinking I'll just send it back if it isn't right. That was January 23rd 2017 it's now october 9th 2017. Sending it back doesn't seem to work!!!

If it did I'd be the first to start a new thread of how good they are. (That was rhetorical)

mattw
10-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Will never part with my pre-safety .357 micro groove. It loves 180 grain lead!

comprschrg
10-09-2017, 10:25 PM
Will never part with my pre-safety .357 micro groove. It loves 180 grain lead!

Give it a dose of oil for me and whisper sweet nothings in the chamber. :rolleyes:

When I get my money back, I'll be looking for an older one. That is for sure.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-10-2017, 07:06 AM
In other news, I received my shotgun back and Remington made it right. My 870 runs reliably now.

KenT7021
10-10-2017, 08:43 PM
Off center rifling results when a barrel blank is reamed oversize.

Brad Cayton
10-10-2017, 08:45 PM
I've followed this thread and feel for you for all the issues you've been having. I don't doubt what you've said one bit but my "Remlin" experience has been positive. I've bought 3 this summer, a 94, 45 colt, 95 CB and just picked up a 336 Texan 30-30 last Saturday. The 94 was fine and shoots great. The forearm on the 26" cowboy was too thick so I thinned it down and refinished it and the butt stock so they matched. The Texan has the nicest wood I've had or have seen on any Marlin, in person. The wood to metal fit on all 3 are as good or better than any of my JMs and the rifling is crisp, clean and smooth. I've not had a chance to work with the Texan yet but the other 2 shoot my cast very well. Good luck and I hope it finally works out for you.

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-10-2017, 09:33 PM
I've heard many horrid stories about the quality of arms produced after the transaction from JM to Remington, but if you follow along, it seems that Remington has made good on replacement.

I would like to hear of anyone who has not obtained satisfaction with Remington since interaction on quality of Marlin rifles since the transaction of manufacturers.

I still believe in American Made.

comprschrg
10-10-2017, 09:47 PM
2ndamendmentnut; So about two months? Glad to hear it's good to go.

Brad; That's the kind of news I'd rather hear. As far as I know the 45-70 barrel tooling is the only one I've herd of being bad.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-11-2017, 10:09 AM
2ndamendmentnut; So about two months? Glad to hear it's good to go.

One month in limbo land. One month to repair and return. Two months total.

comprschrg
10-11-2017, 01:34 PM
One month in limbo land. One month to repair and return. Two months total.

I spent an afternoon in limbo back in the early 70's. I never did find out who sent me there.:???:

Rattlesnake; I believe in American made also. I will NOT purchase something made over seas if I can find it "made in USA". I've gone without, because I couldn't afford made in USA. (made down under is usually VERY good, as is a few others)

I understand your passion for Marlin firearms. I have a few that make me feel warm and fuzzy when I look at them. I didn't start this thread to degrade Marlin, but to wake up the sleeping quality control people. I want Marlin to succeed.

If there was a way to magically notify every unsatisfied marlin customer that would be nice, but I really don't want to hear more complaints, I just want Marlin to step up to the plate and build the quality firearms they should be building.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-11-2017, 02:25 PM
I just want Marlin to step up to the plate and build the quality firearms they should be building.

Totally agree with you. You would think after all this time they would have an actual smith rebarrel your rifle. At the very least they should have somebody that understands that a barrel should be rifled on all sides look at the gun before sending it back.

45-70marlin
10-13-2017, 08:37 AM
With my gun the fit and Finish on it are really good. I think they have come a long way. Now if they could get the barrels right it would be great. I haven't tried the lead boolits in it yet as I have been on vacation for a week and a half. Will report back when I do. I don't think there will be a problem. I am glad I was able to fix it.

white eagle
10-13-2017, 12:24 PM
man I must of got lucky my remlin shoots fantastic and I have never cut my finger on it
mine shoots cast and jacketed real good

dikman
10-14-2017, 06:40 AM
"made down under is usually VERY good,". Maybe. There's not much made here anymore, our manufacturing industries have been decimated by the incompetent policies of successive governments! I think there is still one company that makes a rifle, but I doubt if it's anything you would want. (Our final car-making plant is about to close, so now all vehicles will be imported, along with most other goods).

comprschrg
10-16-2017, 01:04 PM
"made down under is usually VERY good,". Maybe. There's not much made here anymore, our manufacturing industries have been decimated by the incompetent policies of successive governments! I think there is still one company that makes a rifle, but I doubt if it's anything you would want. (Our final car-making plant is about to close, so now all vehicles will be imported, along with most other goods).

That's sad to hear. Your right, I looked up rifles made in Australia, I'll pass on them. General motors took the rear end from one of your cars, and put it in the gto about 12 years back.(something like that, my brain doesn't remember like it used to.)

I was thinking of ARB and old man emu. If I'm not shooting I'm driving there. I've wanted to put an old man emu suspension on my jeep for a bunch of years. and arb lockers. But I have this sickness, It makes me stop by the local gun shop.

There's a new problem with the marlin, My wife asked me how much I paid for it. I only told her "too much" now I have get to the mail box before her just in case. I don't know if I'm getting a check, or a large box. :shock:

dikman
10-16-2017, 06:01 PM
Oops! Sounds like someone's got their eyes on some new shoes/dresses?

comprschrg
10-17-2017, 03:55 PM
Oops! Sounds like someone's got their eyes on some new shoes/dresses?

Then they are all the same. She did mention something about a sale on shoes this weekend.

Boy was I wrong, The 2004-2006 pontiac GTO was merely a rebadged Holden Monaro. With a chevy corvette engine, tranny.

comprschrg
10-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Well, I got the big check. Now what to do with it?

This thread can go by the way side.

gpidaho
10-23-2017, 12:32 PM
comprschrg; Glad to hear. You know my vote. As a + you'll have money left over to buy some nice shoes for the lady. Gp

comprschrg
10-23-2017, 01:49 PM
comprschrg; Glad to hear. You know my vote. As a + you'll have money left over to buy some nice shoes for the lady. Gp

I sure do. I haven't looked at henry's other than the web site. I was turned off from them because they had optional plastic forend caps. That's how long it's been since I looked at them. I don't think they still are?

Now that I have something burning a hole in my pocket, I'll have to get into town!

The tube shouldn't bother me, because I have 22's with them. I love them for the capacity. Growing up, I disliked 22's with magazines. Now they have high cap. so it isn't a issue.

dikman
10-24-2017, 05:32 PM
Glad to hear it's finally resolved. From what everyone's been saying on here it sounds like a Henry might be the way to go if you still want a lever? I think you definitely deserve to buy a nice rifle after all this!!

comprschrg
10-26-2017, 11:44 AM
Glad to hear it's finally resolved. From what everyone's been saying on here it sounds like a Henry might be the way to go if you still want a lever? I think you definitely deserve to buy a nice rifle after all this!!

Thank you sir, That's about all I need to give myself permission to sneak something home.

EMC45
11-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Shot a brand new Marlin GBL 45-70 over the weekend. First thing I did after being sure it was unloaded was to look at the crown. It had rifling. It was a nice gun too. Not a fan of how they laser the ser. # though.

45-70marlin
11-08-2017, 02:50 PM
I shot the 330 gr. Gould boolit and it shot great. Some touched each other. Just wanted to let you all know at least the gun shoots ok. Glad i didnt have to send it back.

David LaPell
11-12-2017, 10:50 AM
I was going to get a Marlin .45-70 as well, then I saw the last one in the store, not even a Walmart special, but a regular gun store. The wood to metal gap was awful, I could stick a nickel between the buttstock and the gun. The action felt very rough, not tight like a new gun, but very gritty. I've had a few older Marlins, but the last .45-70 was right after the Remington takeover. It was a full length version, not a guide gun and I took it out and the gun consistently shot to the left, no matter what. I adjusted the sights as far as I could, the gun never got closer than two inches to the left at 25 yards. I put a Skinner sight on it, still didn't get it there. I called Marlin, and the attitude I got was "Well, that gun does take a scope". Not one of, let's fix it. That swore me off the new Marlins. I think if these days I want a lever action .45-70, it will be either a Henry or I will hunt down a used Marlin from before the crossbolt safety era.

Retumbo
11-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Just picked up a GBL and am quite happy with the outside fit and finish. Lots of sharp burrs left from machining on the inside. Also found some rust in the barrel. Still keeping it.

AllanD
12-07-2017, 07:20 PM
After reading these Horror stories I'm ****ed glad I bought my 45-70 1895 (a 1972 JM example)
used more than 30years ago.

I bought it at S. Meltzers & sons in Garfield, NJ. If anyone here has the sad disability of living in NJ Meltzer's is one of the places to look for used firearms at "reasonable" prices, but you won't bump into me there....
I moved to Pennsylvania 20-odd years ago, and Honestly The used rack Meltzer's Is one of the very few things I miss.

Petander
12-05-2018, 06:10 AM
A local dealer here had two half-smooth-barreled 1895's.

Seeing those delayed my last Marlin purchase by years,finally got an SBL this year. No complaints,it is a good rifle and takes recoil better than my previous ones.

There is a funny little detail though:

knifemaker
12-05-2018, 05:48 PM
I knew a guy that purchased a well known brand 44 mag revolver. It came with a test target that showed a very good group. Only problem is you could not chamber a factory 44 mag round in none of the 6 cylinder chambers. They forgot to ream the chambers. He notified the company, they wanted it back. He said he wanted to hang on to it as it might be worth some money down the line to a collector. He finally sent the revolver back to them after they agreed to replace it and give him another revolver of his choice and caliber. He got two guns out of that deal. This happen in the late 70's.

DW475
12-05-2018, 05:56 PM
I haven' bought any of the new Marlins. All mine are JM stamped, just the way I prefer it! Hopefully the newer ones have all the bugs worked out though.