PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the trigger on flintlock

Wayne Smith
03-08-2017, 11:19 AM
From Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders. Ordered the Southern Rifle, basic, with swamped 40cal. A weight barrel, maple ++ stock, and wooden shipping box. They use Chambers locks and Matt recommended the Large Siler - I know nothing about the sizes of the various Siler locks but was thinking that an A weight barrel should make a thin, light rifle. I can upgrade to another lock if I want. They also offer Durrs Egg(?sp) locks

They are 8 months out on beginning and a month to build, I have time.

Recommendations?

waksupi
03-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Stick with the large Chambers/Siler lock, more reliable, and it will work fine with a slender rifle. I believe the bolster thickness is the same on the large and small, so you wouldn't be moving it any closer to the barrel.

You realize you are walking down a path from which you will never return? ;-)

rfd
03-08-2017, 04:52 PM
given a choice, absolutely a large siler lock. i think you gonna be hooked, bud. ;)

John Allen
03-08-2017, 05:26 PM
High end flintlocks are a bad thing to get into you can never have enough.

stubshaft
03-08-2017, 07:58 PM
I have a large Siler on my TVM Virginia made and signed by Jack Garner. On a Southern I prefer the Durs Egg. Slightly trimmer and just as reliable. PLUS it has a waterproof pan!

Hickory
03-08-2017, 08:05 PM
One of the bad thing about shooting a flintlock and shooting it well is, you tend to become a bit snobbish and prideful, especially when others around you are not doing as well as you.
This self pride can lead to things going wrong when things seem to be going so well.

Don't ask me how I know this.

dbarry1
03-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Those are gorgeous flintlocks!

curator
03-08-2017, 09:01 PM
One of the bad thing about shooting a flintlock and shooting it well is, you tend to become a bit snobbish and prideful, especially when others around you are not doing as well as you.
This self pride can lead to things going wrong when things seem to be going so well.

Don't ask me how I know this.

The most smug, seriously prideful flintlock shooters show up at the range in buckskins and driving a Prius.

Wayne Smith
03-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Oh, by the way the stock is going to be finished in light brown or, as they now call it, honey. This is my first and probably my only flintlock. At $1700 this is two+ years of saving. With most of you agreeing with Matt I'll go with his recommendation, the Large Siler.

Rick, I have a Lyman Great Plains in .50 and four caplock revolvers, including a copy of Model 2 Colt Patterson with loading lever and a copy of the LeMat. I'm well past help! I also load my 44-40's in black (three of them) and have a Cimmeron Lightening in .41Colt that I load with heeled boolits. I have a Sharps in 40-70necked - long story and relatively early production. Our Church is having a Men's retreat this weekend and there is a range there. I'm taking several guns, including a Model 3 Smith and Wesson (2000) in 45S&W and my Win. 95 (Jap) in 405 Win. As I said, I'm well past help!

Curator I guess I don't fit, I drive a Honda Fit! Hickory, humility is learned and has to be practiced!

bedbugbilly
03-08-2017, 10:17 PM
They make an excellent rifle. I've looked at many of them they have had at their booth at Friendship over the years.
The lock? I think you'd be happy with either one. I used a Durs Egg on a Virginia style rifle I made probably twenty fie years ago and for the short time I had it, the lock was excellent - but then so are the Silers. I used Myron Carlson's hand forged furniture on the rifle - made the mistake of putting out on display at a gun show and a guy came along with an offer I couldn't refuse. Jack and his crew are good people and you'll be very pleased with the rifle when you get it - and it will be worth the wait.

Wayne Smith
03-08-2017, 10:46 PM
All the guys around here out of the Williamsburg gunshop, active now or past, are 18+months out for new orders. 8 months is not bad!

waksupi
03-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Oh, by the way the stock is going to be finished in light brown or, as they now call it, honey. This is my first and probably my only flintlock. At $1700 this is two+ years of saving. With most of you agreeing with Matt I'll go with his recommendation, the Large Siler.

Rick, I have a Lyman Great Plains in .50 and four caplock revolvers, including a copy of Model 2 Colt Patterson with loading lever and a copy of the LeMat. I'm well past help! I also load my 44-40's in black (three of them) and have a Cimmeron Lightening in .41Colt that I load with heeled boolits. I have a Sharps in 40-70necked - long story and relatively early production. Our Church is having a Men's retreat this weekend and there is a range there. I'm taking several guns, including a Model 3 Smith and Wesson (2000) in 45S&W and my Win. 95 (Jap) in 405 Win. As I said, I'm well past help!

Curator I guess I don't fit, I drive a Honda Fit! Hickory, humility is learned and has to be practiced!

Those are just gateway drugs. With flintlocks, you have no hope of recovery.

barnabus
03-09-2017, 10:28 AM
From Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders. Ordered the Southern Rifle, basic, with swamped 40cal. A weight barrel, maple ++ stock, and wooden shipping box. They use Chambers locks and Matt recommended the Large Siler - I know nothing about the sizes of the various Siler locks but was thinking that an A weight barrel should make a thin, light rifle. I can upgrade to another lock if I want. They also offer Durrs Egg(?sp) locks

They are 8 months out on beginning and a month to build, I have time.

Recommendations?

How did you manage to run the price up to $1700.00? Their website say a basic Southern Rifle is $1230?

waksupi
03-09-2017, 10:49 AM
How did you manage to run the price up to $1700.00? Their website say a basic Southern Rifle is $1230?

I don't think I would build even a Poor Boy for that money. Just a wood upgrade can add a lot. Put in a swamped barrel and there ya go!

KCSO
03-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Welcome to the dark side! I remember when all the parts for a rifle could be bought for $250 and I thought I could never afford to have a rifle built. I like the Durs Egg lock but I don't fancy an English lock on a Poor Boy. My 32 has a Hand built lock from Siler parts and it is as fast and sure as any. Pictures are in another post here somewhere. Been shooting it now for on to 25 years.

Wayne Smith
03-09-2017, 02:54 PM
That's it, Ric. ++ wood, swamped barrel and the wooden shipping box are all upgrades. It would be another $50 to change to another lock. I'd be willing to do it if it was worth it, but apparently it isn't. The confirmatin is in the mail today back to them.

They only list the swamped barrel as an option on a couple of their models, but it can be put on at least any of the rifles. Not sure about their smoothbores.

RU shooter
03-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Ask if they can put a chambers late ketland lock on it instead of the two you listed . It's a little smaller and and if it matters more "correct " for a southern type rifle . The large siler is a Germanic lock used mostly by the Pa builders of old the southern /Tenn / mountain rifles mainly all used English style locks in the late flint years

rfd
03-10-2017, 02:54 PM
most any chambers-siler lock and a chambers white lightning liner = a match made in flintlock heaven.

OverMax
03-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Just spec-U-lating:
Not to worry. 1/2 dozen misfires you'll be slip'in under the fence again. Back too shoot'in thems reliable cap locks..

Wayne Smith
03-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Just spec-U-lating:
Not to worry. 1/2 dozen misfires you'll be slip'in under the fence again. Back too shoot'in thems reliable cap locks..

Nope - 1/2 dozen misfires and I'll be PMing Ric about what I'm doing wrong!

Boaz
03-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Durrs egg or Siler are both good choices , you will be happy with your choice either way . Enjoy your new rifle !

stubshaft
03-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Just spec-U-lating:

I've always thought of "caps" as a fad that will end once people see the true light! Not to mention that I have had more misfires in T/C's with caps, than I ever did in any of my 6 rocklocks.

rfd
03-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Just spec-U-lating:

it's all about the smarts.

a SINGLE misfire can happen with flint or cap, and then the operator should have the smarts to know what to look for, and fix it pronto, and make the second trigger pull a firing.

lotsa things in life really just need smarts and not luck.

sharps4590
03-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Once a fella learns his flintlock he shouldn't have any more failures to fire than with a cap lock, providing it's a good lock to begin with. All ya gotta do is pay attention to details and conditions.

BigAl52
03-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Just curious of why you chose TVA. I dont post to much here but I see alot of the post from the same people here. With all the reccomendations for Tip Curtis did you consider him before TVA. Al

Wayne Smith
03-12-2017, 03:20 PM
I considered Tip, even talked to him. Pictures posted here did not encourage me, not having a website means I couldn't look at his work and talking to him did not sell me on his care and attention to detail. Could be personality issues - some people just don't click on first meeting/talking and that may have been what happened.

SirMike1983
03-12-2017, 11:12 PM
The large Siler and the Durs are both good locks. I have several Siler guns (the large Siler is one of the few lefty options), and I like them all. I get my lock tuning done by Brag Emig in PA when I need it done - excellent work.

The swamped barrel is a "must", as far as I am concerned. It makes the barrel lighter and the whole gun balance much better. I have a straight barrel .50 that I never shoot anymore because my swamped rifle and my fowlers get all the attention. These high-quality, one-off type rifles will burn a hole in your wallet. But they are a joy once you're set up.

johnson1942
03-13-2017, 08:19 PM
ok guys i know your going to think im nuts but here it goes. every time i go through the list of post here and i see pulled the trigger, this comes into my mind, pulled the trigger and the gun said whooo, shot right over to mexico, honey let me be your salty dawg. anybody else like bluegrass, could not help it, carry on.

waksupi
03-14-2017, 10:23 AM
ok guys i know your going to think im nuts but here it goes. every time i go through the list of post here and i see pulled the trigger, this comes into my mind, pulled the trigger and the gun said whooo, shot right over to mexico, honey let me be your salty dawg. anybody else like bluegrass, could not help it, carry on.

We still play it around the campfires!

Sigmanz
03-15-2017, 09:26 AM
Congrats on the TVM. I've been drooling over them for a while now. Will be a .32 for me. I have several .36 and up but something about a small caliber flinter just needs to be filled.

taco650
03-15-2017, 10:47 AM
I've got to stop reading posts like these! The only BP firearm I own right now is an 1860 Army repro and I'd really like to get a traditional muzzleloader... or two. A flinter is on the wish list but thinking of building my own because of cost and stylistic ideas I have.

Good luck with yours when you get it. TVA makes nice looking rifles!

Wayne Smith
04-05-2017, 08:57 AM
I've been thinking - dangerous, I know. What do I want to ask for in muzzle treatment on this gun? Slight recess to help load or not?

waksupi
04-05-2017, 09:08 AM
I've been thinking - dangerous, I know. What do I want to ask for in muzzle treatment on this gun? Slight recess to help load or not?

I do like a coned muzzle. I hate short starters.

rfd
04-05-2017, 09:10 AM
coning the muzzle can help with the loading process. it is not a mandatory thing. i have a coner and do it to all my muzzleloaders - just a tad, to allow easing in the patched ball. the coner is brass and accepts abrasive papers, twizzled with a tap handle or super slow with a drill.