PDA

View Full Version : Why did Jesus Use parables

Boaz
03-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Matthew 10;10-17

The Purpose of Parables10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?”
11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says:
‘Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should[a (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+13&version=NKJV#fen-NKJV-23555a)] heal them.’[b (https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+13&version=NKJV#fen-NKJV-23555b)]

16 But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear; 17 for assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

johnson1942
03-08-2017, 11:34 AM
because they had a point to get across.

therealhitman
03-08-2017, 12:08 PM
and no Power Point yet.

Char-Gar
03-08-2017, 12:10 PM
The teaching part of the ministry of Jesus followed the typical Rabinical pattern of his day. He walked and talked with his students/disciples. He often taught by the use of parables. When he wanted to emphasize the seriousness of a teaching, he sat down and gathered them around him.

What Jesus taught was often extraordinary, but how he taught was quite ordinary.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-08-2017, 01:08 PM
It seems a perfectly sensible way of getting the simple and uneducated part of his audience started on a message that might otherwise have been accessible only to a few. I also find it highly believable that others told parables about him. I bet he was a good enough talker to make people forget there were only a few loaves and fishes.

shoot-n-lead
03-08-2017, 02:02 PM
It seems a perfectly sensible way of getting the simple and uneducated part of his audience started on a message that might otherwise have been accessible only to a few. I also find it highly believable that others told parables about him. I bet he was a good enough talker to make people forget there were only a few loaves and fishes.

Yeah, they only had 12 baskets full of the pieces of 5 loaves of bread, left over.

John 6:12

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.” 13 So they gathered them and filled twelve baskets with the pieces of the five barley loaves left over by those who had eaten.

wv109323
03-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Jesus used examples that the common man understood. He used the principles of farming and fishing that all understood and could relate to.
The Pharisees and Priest were so caught up in the "traditions of the fathers" that few common people knew the Law.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-09-2017, 05:40 AM
It wouldn't be for the last time. I've got accounts from the 1920s and 30s of gauchos and minor ranchers in Argentina and Paraguay thinking they were rebelling by reading the Bible, since the Church had told them they shouldn't.

castalott
03-09-2017, 06:08 AM
Parables are a simple way of communicating an idea. Simple is usually good.

Half Dog
03-09-2017, 08:07 AM
I honestly believe that Jesus came to earth and was sacrificed to erase my sins. One day I will fight against satin and his army but for now I guess a common man has more sense than I do; I do not understand much of what has been written.

Blackwater
03-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Great post and commentary all. Only thing I'd add is that He was simply trying to teach us how to think with clarity. So often, we figure into our "thinking" things that are actually based in our emotions. His parables never allow that. They just deal clearly and specifically and ably with whatever He was trying to illustrate. It seems our human wills even interfere so often with our "thinking" clearly, and sway our results more toward an answer we LIKE, rather than the real, True answers. He wouldn't allow us to do that, and now, left these parables behind, and other most excellent advice, so that we might again learn to think clearly and purposefully, rather than willfully. They are given to us to keep our keels straight and our tillers set to keep us in good waters. It's just what a genuinely Loving God would naturally do. It was His way of dealing with our bent toward willfulness, and keeping our thoughts clear and straight. We learn best by example, and he gave us what we need in order to see more clearly and deeply, if only we'll avail ourselves of His wonderful instruction and advice. How much more loving could a real and legitimate God really be?