PDA

View Full Version : New Smith 2.0 has arrived

Fernando
03-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Was watching one of those dippy shooting shows a couple weeks ago and the ran a piece on the new S&W M&P 2.0.
I was already looking for a 1911 based .40 to get back in the auto game as I let all mine go ten or more years ago
Just got sick of picking up brass.
Anyway had ALOT of .40 stuff sitting and always loved my 1911's but couldn't find any positive feed on that platform
that was reliable - maybe one offs or the big double stacks and big $$ customs - almost jumped on a RI full-size
but reviews were lack luster and sparse.
Then this segment on the tv comes on and I go handle one M&P 2.0 .40 FDE 5" - now I have it sitting here.
Boy I like this pistola - I like the safety everyone seems to hate - the trigger feels just dandy right out of the box and am sure it'll get a little better with break-in. Med-lg grip fits like a glove.
I can't wait to put it through it's paces.
I had a couple of Gen2 glocks, USP's,Sig220,1911's,Hi-power, taurus and Beretta at one time and if memory is even
close this is nicer than the majority except my old hand built 1911 and the P220 easily on par with USP's and maybe
better.
New NOE 180RN and Lee TL 6 banger waiting to go too.
I bet I still hate picking up brass but have 6K plus sitting in a box and guess I can miss a few without loosing sleep.
Anyone in the market for a full-size .40 should at least take a look at one of these.
Sure seems nice and solid - now if it'll just perform as good as it seems to be.
One of my nicer surprises in US built arms lately.

Half Dog
03-08-2017, 08:33 AM
I can't wait to see the accuracy results. Keep us posted!!

FergusonTO35
03-08-2017, 12:49 PM
If I was going to buy a new .40 the long slide Smith would be my choice. Keep us updated!

Fernando
03-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Will do - I have to wait til Monday but am really anxious to bang away with this.

FergusonTO35
03-09-2017, 09:19 AM
Yep, I know the feeling all too well!!

osteodoc08
03-09-2017, 09:42 AM
I've loved my MP Pro series in 9 and 40 and my 45 full size. I will be adding the 2.0 soon enough

Lefty Red
03-10-2017, 05:18 AM
I finally got to handle and try out the 2.0's trigger. It's is much better than the original version. And I like the new stippling they put on it, like the Shield 45.

But IMHO, it's still a far cry from other polymer pistols. It feels cheap. It looks cheap.

Hope you like yours! Seriously, I might change my mind if a compact 40 version comes out pretty soon. Or at least gamble on one of them.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fernando
03-10-2017, 07:47 AM
I couldn't disagree more - but to each his own.
Now I have not shot this yet and it could still fall apart.
But this is easily above the 22 and 27 I had without a problem.
Now my Glocks and HK's ran without a glitch ALWAYS but HK"s felt a little fragile
and Glocks were well Glocks - The USP just fit me really well I seemed to be made for it.
I did not even look into the 320 as this is just a toy for me and the price point and features
were exactly what I was after.
But it is tight and the machining is done real nice - none of the other flaws I read about on
the various boards where the cheerleaders hang out.
It's a poly gun and I don't think it or any other plastic could rival a well built all steel 1911.
If this will feed reliably and hit a soft ball at 21' and a coffee can at 25yds if I and my hand loads
do our part I can see no down side to this pistol.
Only addition will be mepro's if it tests well.
If not it will go down the road.

Lefty Red
03-11-2017, 06:15 PM
I couldn't disagree more - but to each his own.
Now I have not shot this yet and it could still fall apart.
But this is easily above the 22 and 27 I had without a problem.
Now my Glocks and HK's ran without a glitch ALWAYS but HK"s felt a little fragile
and Glocks were well Glocks - The USP just fit me really well I seemed to be made for it.
I did not even look into the 320 as this is just a toy for me and the price point and features
were exactly what I was after.
But it is tight and the machining is done real nice - none of the other flaws I read about on
the various boards where the cheerleaders hang out.
It's a poly gun and I don't think it or any other plastic could rival a well built all steel 1911.
If this will feed reliably and hit a soft ball at 21' and a coffee can at 25yds if I and my hand loads
do our part I can see no down side to this pistol.
Only addition will be mepro's if it tests well.
If not it will go down the road.

LOL, yeah a Glock just feels "Glockish"! Wish it didn't but what are you going to do.

I only meant it felt cheap. Well is kind of looked it too. Finish looks like paint instead of a blueing. And for I know it is a kind of paint.

I don't like the gap between the frame and slide. It is less on the 2.0, so hoping SW learned their lesson.

And I will give kudos to SW for sticking to a "platform" and improving on it instead of scrapping it and starting new. The M&P series has alot going for it. And priced $100 under a Glock could help it.

And I will get a Compact 2.0 when it comes out. I ALMOST broke down and bought an Apex trigger for a 1.0. Just waiting......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fernando
03-13-2017, 07:21 AM
UHHH! SNOW Again!! Well it's only March I guess.
I had to sort and check some rifle boolits anywho.
I'll give it a go tomorrow I guess.
Have 25 rds ea. mixed brass and Feds 4.8gr Green dot and 180 .400 TC's with dried out crappy blue
vendor lube rolled in fresh BLL ready to go.
If the light load and .400 function and don't lead I'll know it's a winner.
I know one test at a time but what the hey - If they don't function I was gonna get the spring
calibration pack anyway and if they lead I'll just melt them down.
Have not had a chance to break in my new NOE brass beauty yet.
My goal will be 850+ish 180gr bunny popper/house gun.
I need more time - I think I should retire:violin:

Fernando
03-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Just back from the range - No worries with this one.
Ran with out a hiccup and carved a softball size 40 shot group @ 21' with just pointing squeezing
in rhythm. 10 shot one handed was small enough to make me really smile and right at point of aim.
My two handed was a touch right but still cut the center ring - one handed centers in the x-ring.
No leading from the .400's either which surprised me.
Will now start to work up a keeper with my .401 boolits and simple lube.
Soft shooter too.

Scharfschuetze
03-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Saw an add for the 2.0 the other day. They do look functional and usable. Made me look askance at my Glock 19.

Mytmousemalibu
03-20-2017, 03:22 PM
I'm an M&P guy, i have 5 of them and they all run like a clock. I think they look great and feel superb in the hand. The 1st generation triggers were pretty bad across the board and I Apex'ed a few of them but i also tuned the factory trigger and made a big improvement. The 2.0 is nice, even better in all aspects ober the original minus one detail. They added the slide stop detent device because many complained about the slide going home if you slapped a fresh mag in the gun. Im a competitive shooter and im quite comfortable and capable of proper gin handling so that was a bonus feature to me, not something to get your panties in a wad about. So when I add a 2.0 to the collection, that feater will be deleted.

As you can see, I love the M&P!
Bonus points for this gun kicking the snot out of the high $$$ custom 2011's in the reliability department. It can go toe to toe with the best of them.

Fernando
03-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Second run - dropped to 4.6gr GD
Ran perfect still took 30 or so rounds to tighten up -I'm putting this down to the .400 sizing.
When it fouls up it shoots tighter - still a little right - drifted the front during clean up.
Loaded again tonight @ 4.3gr's - I'll keep breaking in with these old bullets til they are gone
dropping charge til I find the non-function point.
Can't wait to get some casting time and run some proper sized boolits.
Then I'll start low and ladder my way to a good load.
I think it'll be a keeper.
The Bisley came along and had a very good day with the new 260RF's out of it's new accurate mould
and simple green - a little leading in the smith and none in the 45.

Lloyd Smale
03-30-2017, 06:10 AM
I like glocks but that said I love m&ps. Nothing at any price feels better in my hand or points more naturally. I need a full sized 40 myself and think the full sized glocks are about like holding a 2x4. I like the 19/23 sized glocks but detest there full sized guns. Only full sized glock I have is a 20. Only bad thing I can say about my M&Ps is the terrible trigger. I really want to try out one of these new ones. If they really did lick that I probably have already bought my last glock