View Full Version : Maple Bourbon glazed Salmon

finstr
03-07-2017, 08:50 PM
This is a favorite moose camp recipe

1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup (your favorite) Kentucky bourbon
1/2 fresh lemon
2 Salmon fillets
2 Cedar boards approx 3/4" thick ( long enough to fit the fillets)

Soak cedar boards in the lake using a rock to keep submerged for 24hrs.
Combine syrup and whiskey and squeeze of lemon in a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil stirring constantly until the alcohol evaporates and liquid becomes thick.
Set aside to cool.
Without slipping and falling headfirst into the lake, remove the cedar boards and any debris and place fillets skin side down and brush the top side with 1/2 of the cooled glaze.
Place on a hot BBQ with the lid closed until the cedar starts to really smoke. It'll likely catch fire around the edges when the lid is opened and that's OK. Just baste the salmon a bit with the cooled glaze and remove the fillet from the board when the fish just flakes.
DO NOT OVER COOK THE FISH!!
Throw the empty boards back into the lake to extinguish any flames.
This also works with good sized Rainbow Trout fillets.

johnson1942
03-08-2017, 11:37 AM
cover a moose roast in your sauce and roast it in the oven. a northern minn. native american way to cook a moose roast. from a very old book about the northern lake tribes. roast a moose roast in maple syrup.

Lead pot
03-08-2017, 05:47 PM
cover a moose roast in your sauce and roast it in the oven. a northern minn. native american way to cook a moose roast. from a very old book about the northern lake tribes. roast a moose roast in maple syrup.

Ah!! will do that to a Buffalo roast, sounds good.

MaryB
03-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Lose me with sweet beef/bison/deer/elk... not a combo my taste buds like.

johnson1942
03-09-2017, 12:00 AM
sweet and meat does go together in many countries. basting pork roast with sweet coconut milk while roasting it makes some of the best porkroast ever. buffalo roast in maple syrup really sounds good. i just had some lamb monday in a good nepal indian resturant and it was basted in some kind of sweet sauce and it was wonderful.

MaryB
03-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Pork and sweet is okay same for poultry. But both are a "white" meat...

Shiloh
03-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Sounds great MaryB!!

Shiloh