PDA

View Full Version : RCBS handheld debur/chamfer tool

daengmei
03-07-2017, 03:57 PM
I didn't know these were so dull and having 2 of them just bites. I sent info to the RCBS customer service and got this...

This hand held chamfer deburring tool inside/ outside is made out of steel, it will not do much good as the carbide. We offer p/n: 90384 trim mate case prep center carbide outside deburring tool -

I don't know how to take this, other than I lost my money. I have a competitor's steel product and it works fine.

Is it possible to sharpen these without too much trouble or am I just out of luck?

Soundguy
03-07-2017, 04:19 PM
post a picture of the tool you have. I have an old rcbs hand held double end tool that still works just fine.

NSB
03-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Mine's over twenty years old and it's still working fine. I never thought about it wearing out.

Taterhead
03-07-2017, 04:51 PM
The older hand held tools (the ones with the center post on the end that works the outside. The newer Chinese seem cheaper. My older one is still just as sharp as when new.

By the way, Mrs. Taterhead surprised me with a Trim Mate a couple of years ago. It is nice, though it could stand to have a few additional RPM. I've hardly touched the hand held tool since.

farmerjim
03-07-2017, 04:54 PM
I chuck mine up in my mini lathe. 50 years old and still working fine at 20 cases per minute.

C. Latch
03-07-2017, 05:01 PM
My grandpa used the same one for 40 years without sharpening.

Mine has been used for things it wasn't designed for, many times, and is still sharp as new, or close enough that I can't tell the difference.

toallmy
03-07-2017, 05:15 PM
I have worn out a couple hand held primer pocket cleaners , but the case mouth chafing tool is still going at 30 years . It might be dull and I never noticed it , but I don't want to cut to much anyway .

Gillie Dog
03-07-2017, 10:00 PM
The ones "Made for RCBS by L. E. Wilson" are heat treated tool steel and will stay sharp "forever" or a long long time. Do yours have that quote roll stamped in their side?

GD

Norske
03-07-2017, 11:18 PM
I'm happy with my Lyman brass tubular handle with inside/outside neck and large/small primer pocket reamers in it. The longer handle is much easier on my old arthritic hands.

runfiverun
03-08-2017, 01:19 AM
I have one that say's for rcbs on it and one in the little brown cardboard L.E. Wilson box.
the new lyman one I got is very nice for inside champhering but I don't care for the outside cutter.
it's about as good as the rcbs cutter for the machine.
I find it easier to cut the outside by hand with the old rcbs tool, then do the inside and primer pocket cleaning on the machine.

retread
03-08-2017, 01:41 AM
Bought mine in 1960 and still using it. I think it is about as sharp as when I bought it. Considering we only use them on brass they should last a lifetime if they are made of quality tool steel.

daengmei
03-08-2017, 09:52 AM
I have these, bought 1 and the other in a press kit. They are stamped only 17-60 cal and RCBS. Used both with .308 cases that were cut to size with a Lee case trimmer. Each one I turned a couple of times with modest pressure on the outer rim and checked. Each time there still remained a burr. The very small shavings didn't seem to come off easily.

Taterhead
03-08-2017, 11:22 AM
The inside cleans up much easier than the outside. I'd estimate at least 3 times the effort. Geometry, I guess.

Soundguy
03-08-2017, 11:39 AM
What are you calling a bur? sounds like something your trimmer left on the brass cut, the ID/OD reamer is just to take the lip off. if your trimmer raised a bur, I'd look at the cutter teeth, and make sure it is being held square when cutting, and not allowed to catch or skip, and not forced into the cutter.

country gent
03-08-2017, 12:29 PM
The inside case mouth burr is finer, less attached and supported better by the neck when chamfering the mouth. The out side is heavier, more of a rolled over edge than a burr, and folds over easier. These cutters can be sharpened I have touched mine up with a very fine ceramic stone and carefully working the relief edge to sharpen touch it back up. I also had cutter grind sharpen one at work. To sharp makes them hard to use as they want to grab and chatter more. I have used the Wilson RCBS style for years have a couple of them floating around here. Carbide might be better but it may chip and dull due to the light support ( carbide needs a solid vibration free set up). I have piloted the RCBS for outside work with a bushing on the pin and it helped smooth the cut some

daengmei
03-08-2017, 05:35 PM
What are you calling a bur?
The rolled over outside edge, though very small is in fact a bur in my opinion....regardless of the exact description, the cutter will not remove this without several attempts at cutting. I can catch my fingernail on it, so it is a bur. Too dull. Isn't this what we are trying to remove? I am.

not forced into the cutter
I used the cutter by hand and know the pressure needed, this is brass so it should process very quickly without automation. Automation is for old tired hands...I have those too.

daengmei
03-08-2017, 05:40 PM
country gent, I'm going to sharpen them up. Thanks all.

country gent
03-08-2017, 05:44 PM
If these burrs are on brass you trimmed Look at the trimmers cutter. It should cut clean leaving little burrs or rolled edges. On new brass there isn't a lot you can do but deburr it. A sharp trimmer cutter with proper geometry should leave very little burr and just a sharp edge that you need to break.

troyboy
03-08-2017, 09:21 PM
This is not the first time complaints have been voiced about these new model RCBS Chinese deburring tool

Carrier
03-08-2017, 10:01 PM
This is not the first time complaints have been voiced about these new model RCBS Chinese deburring tool

I've got one and it is a piece of ****. Cost a premium and very disappointed with it.

Hardcast416taylor
03-09-2017, 04:10 PM
I had an old RCBS and an Forstner cutter heads for their case trimmers sharpened by a tool and die shop that sharpens cutting tools. That was 12 years ago and both cutters are still doing great. I have a case prep tool from RCBS and haven`t used a chamfering hand tool in at least 15 years.Robert

daengmei
03-14-2017, 02:16 PM
In some defense of RCBS, they did replace the part. Same worthless made in China. This should tell how well they work....https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/74526.

Can't believe these sold out....so says the link.

EDG
03-15-2017, 02:26 AM
Sometimes the temper of the brass and the size of the burr is at fault. If you have a dull case trimmer or you are trimming a huge amount you will wind up with a thick rolled over burr that is hard to remove. That burr is the fault of the trimming operation. I have used my trimmer to shorten many cases about .250. Removing this much material created a huge tough burr if you use a high feed rate with a power drill. To make the case easier to deburr let up on the trimmer pressure the last few thousandths and it will leave a very fine thin burr that is easy to remove.
Your trimming technique can make additional deburring work or it can make the deburring easy. Your choice.

I have 3 of the older Wilson made RCBS tools that are between 20 and 40 years old and they still cut just fine.

I have these, bought 1 and the other in a press kit. They are stamped only 17-60 cal and RCBS. Used both with .308 cases that were cut to size with a Lee case trimmer. Each one I turned a couple of times with modest pressure on the outer rim and checked. Each time there still remained a burr. The very small shavings didn't seem to come off easily.

lightman
03-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Like the others, my older one still works fine. I would probably junk the Chinese tool and invest in an American made one, probably a Wilson.