PDA

View Full Version : What Size?

Themoose
03-07-2017, 10:11 AM
I slugged my P64 9x18 Makarov and came up with .366... Now here is where I need your help... IIRC I should size the bullet .001 over than and should cast .001 over the sized diameter... so I'm looking at casting with a mold that drops .368... is this correct.... I'm not truly convinced that I want to invest much in this venture, but it looks like my options for getting a good fit for cast bullets are going to be scarce or nonexistant if I try to purchase them... .365 are available and may be ok. anyone have experience with that.

What I am mulling over in my bald hat holder is getting a Lee .365 and "beagling" it to .368 and having one of my blank sizing dies from the Professor machined to .367... I have never tumbled lubed since I started casting in the mid 60's and not sure I want to start now...when you do use alox or similar when tumbling do you wipe lube off after seating or crimping...?

Lots of dumb questions from this old codger, but I do like to learn, even if late in life.

thanks for your help.

TheMoose

runfiverun
03-07-2017, 01:04 PM
if you are getting 366 then I would go for 367 or maybe slip up a bit and try for 3675.

if you warm the alox and add some mineral spirits to it, it will go on better and thinner and you can just leave it in place.
when I T/L I lube, let dry, size, then lube again.

I heat the lube and the boolits and apply about 1/2 the amount I think I need and swirl.
then pour out on a cookie sheet to cool.
about the time everything is cool [@1/2hr. or so] it's dry.