PDA

View Full Version : Who is Selling Gas Check Makers Right Now?

Fish_N_Russ
07-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I see a few people on the board are thinking of selling them, but nothing I have read says they are ready yet.........I also see some of you have bought them off of Ebay, but I did a search and didnt find anything. I am looking for one I can use with a regular press btw, I have access to copper or brass sheets so the material is not a problem. thanks

Meatco1
07-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Here is Charlies address at eBay. He sells the gas check maker kit, and is a good guy to deal with.

http://myworld.ebay.com/codarnall?&ssPageName=ADME:X:CEM:US:1181

Richard

dmen
07-06-2008, 03:01 PM
A very good guy to deal with. I bought a 30 cal. tool and was talking to him about one for 8mm. He decided to make one up for me and put it on Epay, told me about it so I could bid on it. When I got beat out on that one he sent me a second chance offer and made up another for me. What a nice guy! dmen

Boerrancher
07-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Beware of any check makers that claim to fit reloading presses. A friend of mine has been working on one for a regular reloading press and ended up using an arbor press because even the big RCBS Rock chucker, and Lyman Orange Crush are not strong enough to punch out material more than 0.005" in thickness. In most cases for a gas check to work properly it needs to be between 0.012" to 0.018 in thickness. Most alum cans are 0.005" thick. This works to protect the base of the boolit, but not much more.

I will say that I use Charlie's gas check maker, and I like it, but I had mine made for specific material thickness as I knew how thick my gas check had to be to completely seal the bore.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

JeffinNZ
07-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I will say that I use Charlie's gas check maker, and I like it, but I had mine made for specific material thickness as I knew how thick my gas check had to be to completely seal the bore.

I agree. I have 'doctored' my Freechex from Charlie. I honed the 'anvil' out to .316 as he builds to .30cal specs and I wanted .303 specs. Other than that it works and is simple.

I am still testing but scored 13 square feet of 0.011 aluminium printing plate and they seem just fine. Should I need to go thicker I will hone a few thou off the forming mandrel and add a soda can layer of material to the printing plate material to make a total of 0.015.

Fish_N_Russ
07-07-2008, 02:16 AM
So whats Charlies email? I dont do Ebay anymore.
thanks

JeffinNZ
07-07-2008, 05:12 AM
He only does Ebay.

copdills
07-07-2008, 05:17 AM
do these work well , sounds like a great product

JeffinNZ
07-07-2008, 05:33 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=32978