PDA

View Full Version : The struggle is real...

adam_mac84
03-06-2017, 06:23 PM
I have been putting all my feelers out. Buddy in Illinois showed me this. 220# of racecar weight. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170306/3b4f2836fd0f192828bf07c1fdba1274.jpg

Picking up end of the month. I am thinking this one will need to go for analysis somewhere. That's a lot of lead (in my world). Especially for the $$ of a few beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogerDat
03-06-2017, 07:15 PM
220# is a nice haul in anybody's world! Going to be a little work to melt it out but well worth having the batch tested and making into something.... Hmmm? Let me think what can we make from a couple hundred pounds of lead?..... I know "Worlds Greatest Ex-Wife" coffee cups! Or bullets, I guess that would be good too. :mrgreen:

lightman
03-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Those would stand up in my smelting pot! I'm not sure I would worry about analyzing those. I would check it with a hardness tester and make a few bullets with it. The hardness will give you an idea what it is and if it casts and shoots good, it don't really matter. FWIW, I've found race car weights to usually be wheelweights. I guess its because race cars and garages are usually around tires and wheelweights. Guilty by association! This certainly is not a rule, just something that I have observed. Good Score by the way!

RedRiver
03-06-2017, 10:13 PM
I would get it tested for sure. I have a buddy who races, they buy wheel weights and just melt the whole thing down and scrape off what floats. Definitely zinc in his. They don't care about purity, just weight

Budzilla 19
03-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Heck of a score! It's out there, but the searching is a hobby in itself! You're on your way now! Keep diggin'! Good luck.

adam_mac84
03-06-2017, 10:44 PM
take an ingot to scrap yard or send to a forum member for testing? never done it...

RedRiver
03-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Just PM BNE (his screen name). Great guy. He will charge one pound of soft lead per test done. Heck of a deal.

modified5
03-07-2017, 12:16 AM
When I was racing,on before I was casting, we would go to the tire stores and get buckets for free. We would then melt them into big block Mopar valve covers and use them for weight.
This was before the zinc, steel garbage.
Oh how I long to have all those back. :-x
Good find! :D

Sasquatch-1
03-07-2017, 07:46 AM
3 suggestions for melting.
#1 sawsall lots of blades and cut into smaller sections.
#2 Set on turkey fryer with large pots at either end and use a weed burner or large torch of some sorts to help melt at the ends.
#3 If you have the room build a large bonfire and pick up the lead later. The contaminates will come out when you make ingots.