PDA

View Full Version : On inspecting barrels

waksupi
03-06-2017, 04:47 PM
On inspecting barrels
Apparently, there is little knowledge of what you are looking at, when you look through the bore of a firearm.
I learned how to inspect a barrel at the Bauska Rifle Barrel, Co., from Les Bauska.
He told me the way to train your eye, is to first look through a shotgun barrel. You will see concentric circles the length of the barrel.
These are light bars, and there are somewhere around 100,000 per inch.
On any good barrel, you will see these are all the same size for the length of the barrel.
On a crooked barrel, you can see the light bars are oblong in the bad part of the barrel. They will show you which direction
a barrel needs bent to correct things.
This holds true on a rifle barrel, although it is a bit more difficult to read for some. Others never can see it. The bore of the barrel is a polished smooth cylinder, just like the smoothbores.
You can train yourself to see the light bars, even with the rifling. Rough rifling is inconsequential, as long it is not cutting patches. Shoot it smooth, or lap it.
I've been the barrel inspector for three gun companies. I was able to teach some, but they were not common.
So, that gives you an idea of how to see if a barrel is straight. If you can't see and understand what you are seeing, you are
swinging blindfolded if you need to bend the barrel.

10-x
03-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Always used a light shining on a long straight edge or lined paper, any bend would show as a bend in the reflected straight line when looking through the bore.

C. Latch
03-06-2017, 07:53 PM
Probably the best way to demonstrate this to someone who's never seen it is to take an aluminum arrow, the newer kind that don't have swaged nock ends, but have to use nock bushings, and look through it (no nock or point installed), from the point towards the nock end, while pointing it at a light. While looking at it, have someone push on the side of the arrow, at its midpoint, so as to bend it slightly, You'll see the concentric rings bend as soon as pressure is applied to the side.

randyrat
03-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Good info. Thanks for that

w5pv
03-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info