PDA

View Full Version : How to grip a single action revolver for best accuracy?

Triggernosis
03-06-2017, 11:42 AM
I am aware of how to grip a plow-handled single action revolver with one hand and letting it roll back in your grip and re-cocking it as the barrel returns to level. But, what is the proper way to grip a single action if you're trying to shoot a rabbit across a ditch bank 25 yards away...or punch the bullseye out of a target at your local range;)? Double-handed? Stick with single handed and let-her-roll? If double-handed, where should the support hand fingers go? Pictures would probably be helpful here.

Thumbcocker
03-06-2017, 02:50 PM
Firmly and consistently.

44man
03-06-2017, 03:29 PM
No roll allowed at any time. The gun should be in the same place in your hand after recoil.
Two hands or one, the same. How I hate the term "ROLL". Why reposition your hand after a shot?

Traffer
03-06-2017, 03:40 PM
I got my first revolver last year. This is what I found on how to grip it. Jerry has gripped a few, I figure he would have good advise.
http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html

Silver Jack Hammer
03-06-2017, 04:18 PM
For accuracy with the SA your little finger on the bottom of the grip is your enemy. Keep your little finger still and apply the least amount of grip pressure to the handle with the little finger. The single action grip rests the backstrap in the palm swell unlike a DA or semi auto which rests the grip in the web between the thumb and forefinger. On a minor note, for accuracy with a two handed hold I extend my support hand index finger forward and rest it on the frame forward of the trigger guard. I'm the only one I know that does this.

I've had a few articles written about my shooting so I must be doing something right.

Its more of a function of regular practice than technique.

birch
03-06-2017, 06:27 PM
I agree with the pinky. I also focus on the natural trigger creep on a factory colt gun. Someone might chime in on the true technical term, but I think it is called positive or negative sear geometry. My SAA is all stock and I can actually see the hammer move rearwards as I pull my trigger.

It is actually hard to overcome if you are used to a Colt or Smith target trigger. However, once you realize the tendency, it is easy to overcome. At least for me.

17nut
03-06-2017, 07:49 PM
I have short fingers and short hands.

My Colt SAA and Parabellum i can grasp and get a good hold on and that shows on the target.
My 1911 and Webley .455, forget it. Pray and spray but oh boy is it fun :-)

This might help:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/correction.jpg (http://s295.photobucket.com/user/Chickenthief/media/Skydning/Til%20andre/correction.jpg.html)

metricmonkeywrench
03-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Get yourself a copy of Elmer Keith's Sixguns, he explains it all from stance to grip to get shots way past 25yds.

Triggernosis
03-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the responses so far, gentlemen.

johnson1942
03-07-2017, 12:20 AM
i have 4 of these guns and im sorry to disagree as to how to hold them. im only speaking for me as my hands are mine and every one elses is their's, different than mine. i have both navy and army grips. my right hand hold the gun with the little finger under the grip and frame for both navy and army grip. my left just rests up against the right hand. nothing wrong with my groups and they are consistent. put a hole in the snowbank at 15 to 25 yards from my deck and the rest go in that hole 90 percent of the time or even 100 percent of the time. cant shoot any other way, find your way.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-07-2017, 01:42 AM
Many shoot the SA with their little finger under the grip. Skeeter Skelton said that's how he shot them. Johnson1942 points out a pearl of wisdom I also adhere to, that is the support hand rests gently against the side of the grip. This is the manner in which I shoot Colt's SAA's for maximum accuracy.

charlie b
03-07-2017, 09:01 AM
I am certainly no expert, but, I did like gripping the SA with my pinky below the grip. Probably more because I shoot autos much more than revolvers

I was also curious about Miceluk's method but the link above was for DA revolvers. So, I searched until I found a video of his with a SA. Never knew just how big his hands are. He gripped the SA grip up high and I think his pinky was still off the bottom of the grip. He also cocked the gun with his left hand. I suspect that is because he values the grip to trigger relationship as one of the most important parts of the grip.

Triggernosis
03-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Can you post a link to his SA video, please?

johnson1942
03-07-2017, 10:30 AM
another thing i learned quickly. i bought a rest and i thought, now i am going to test ammo and really see how it all shoots. was i wrong, sort of. with the barrel of my uberti colts resting in the v of the rest and squeezing the trigger slowly i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with a scoop shovel standing next to it. then i sqitched to my right arm in the v rest and the gun held in my right hand as usual and the left hand just barely touching the right hand. then i could test loads. the colts does not like the barrel solid in the v of the rest. at least mine dont. i bet every one of you already know this and i just had to find it out the long hard way.

10-x
03-07-2017, 10:31 AM
May be a heritic, could not get decent grip on Ruger Black Hawk. Most likely from many years of 1911 use. Just put on oversize rubber grips.[smilie=l:[smilie=l:

ubetcha
03-07-2017, 10:35 AM
I also cock the hammer with my left thumb when shooting both DA and SA two handed. That way my right hand grip doesn't change.

KCSO
03-07-2017, 10:35 AM
I just put an Army Grip frame and grip on mine to avoid the pinky curl. On a standard grip I do have to let my little finger roll under but I do not use it to grab it just sorta hangs there.

44man
03-07-2017, 11:00 AM
I hold the hog leg low with my pinky under the grip even with Pachmeyer grips. But not from the bench. A pig squeal if a finger on the bag. Some guns need held high like a 1911 or such. It depends. You must see what your hands like.

jmort
03-07-2017, 11:03 AM
I had Long Hunter tune one of my Blackhawks. I use version two right hand grip, thumb out. Regardless, here is an expert short explanation from World Champion Long Hunter. Follow his advice if possible.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dtPnRRxuOuc

str8wal
03-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Firmly and consistently.

This ^^^

DougGuy
03-08-2017, 12:13 AM
It comes down to this simple act.. You hold the gun UNLOADED and dry fire it, the objective is to dry fire the gun and the sights remain motionless. When you can dry fire it and the front sight stays right where it belongs throughout the long hammer fall, then the shot, had it been live fire, would have went directly to point of aim. If you cannot hold the sights still in dry fire, swap in a Wolff 30oz. trigger spring and try again, pull one leg off the spring and try again. You will notice that the reduced trigger return spring will let you hold the sights really still in dry fire. Once you have this down, remember your trigger finger pull, then in live fire do the same thing.

There really is no absolute right and absolute wrong in shooting a SA revolver. It's doing it the same way EVERY TIME that makes the 10 ring. Holding the sights still in dry fire is MANDATORY, once you can do this you can master the SA revolver, and not until then.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-08-2017, 01:56 AM
I practice at 25 yards with Colt's SAA's regularly. My targets are 8 1/2" x 11" paper with a playing card sized bullseye. These are run off a copy machine and 3 hole punched. I keep these targets in 3 ring binders with load notes written on them. Each of my Colt's SAA's has a tab with its serial number. I've compiled three (3), three inch, 3 ring binders of targets. I've tried various bullets, powders, guns etc. After 30 some years and a dozen different Colt's my opinion is practice is what's most important.

I don't waste much time bench rest shooting. Being an honest two hand shooter. I don't use a rest. It's important to me to try not let seven days go between range sessions. Personally I do much better on days with a lot of light than during poor lighting conditions. Just getting out to the range and practicing is what's important.

Sigmanz
03-14-2017, 10:47 AM
Silver Jack, I bet having that extensive of records for each particular gun and various loads you can really see trends in all kinds of conditions. I envy the time and effort you put into that.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-14-2017, 06:31 PM
The more time I spend at the range the more accurate my guns are. I can't get my Colt's SAA's in .45 Colt to group beyond 25 yards as well as I can my Colt's SAA .44 Specials or my .38-40 or .357. The sun shining over my shoulder on the target is a great improvement.

Faster burning powders like Bullseye and Red Dot are better for bullseye 25 yard and in accuracy. Heavier bullets are more accurate in the 3rd generation rifling. Rugers are much easier to hit well with at 100 yards and beyond.

I've had a new cylinder cut for a .44 Special Colt's. Factory cylinders run oversized, about .434" my new cut cylinder was .430-.431", it didn't improve accuracy one bit. Keith bullets and RN bulllets are both accurate in the .44 Special out to 100 yards and beyond.

Accurate .45 Colt loads at 25 yards do not guarantee anything at 100 yards. I've got a new .45 barrel being re-bored for a SAA, my bet is it won't be any improvement in long range accuracy.

I've bought 36 revolvers in 43 years, about a dozen of them Colt's SAA's.

Even my Colt's 1911 with a stainless steel barrel and J-word bullets is more accurate than I can get my .45 SAA's to shoot with lead at 100 yards.

Currently on hand are Unique, American Select, Green Dot, Swiss 1 1/2, Goex FFFg, Trail Boss, VV 3N37, AA#5, Triple7, 2400, 700x, Power Pistol, Red Dot.

Hard cast alloy provides better accuracy in 3rd generation rifling.

Sorry if this post sounds curt, my first detailed response was lost when I was timed out.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-14-2017, 07:19 PM
Forgot to add that the Colt's are not fragile, I push them hard and try to break them and they don't break. I have spare parts and even at matches where I can give somebody a part to replace their Colt's part that has broken I've never had to. The Colts do not break.

44man
03-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Wait until you get into .475 and .500 territory and let a gun "roll." It is not pretty. My friends can attest to that. I thought they knew but had to alter training for even those with experience.

44man
03-14-2017, 09:34 PM
I got my first revolver last year. This is what I found on how to grip it. Jerry has gripped a few, I figure he would have good advise.
http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html
He is 100% correct with the DA. But hold a hog leg high and the gun will slide and you might hit the hammer with the web of your thumb. You hold a semi high and a DA.
Either case the gun should not move in your hand.

Char-Gar
03-15-2017, 12:59 PM
I have found a SA more difficult to shoot with accuracy than a DA revolver. I said more difficult, I did not say impossible.

Like others, I curl the little finger under the grip to keep the frame from resting on the trigger finger. I keep the trigger finger well away from the frame and pull with the pad of first digit of the trigger finger.

If shooting with two hands, I put the weak hand where it feels best.

I can shoot the SA quite well like this.

shoot-n-lead
03-15-2017, 01:08 PM
I have found a SA more difficult to shoot with accuracy than a DA revolver. I said more difficult, I did not say impossible.

I agree...

I think the SA is the most difficult grip frame to shoot well...simply because a slight variance in your hold will change the point of impact more than with any other type grip frame.

BUT...when you are in your groove...they are SWEET, especially with that SAA grip frame.

jmort
03-15-2017, 01:13 PM
A lot a pecuilar advice in this thread. Do what experts like Long Hunter does. Why speculate or pass along bad advice.

Long Hunter, World Champion Single Action Shooter, on how to grip a single action revolver:

shoot-n-lead
03-15-2017, 01:19 PM
A lot a pecuilar advice in this thread. Do what experts like Long Hunter does. Why speculate or pass along bad advice.

Long Hunter, World Champion Single Action Shooter, on how to grip a single action revolver:

Yeah, he even said there were three ways to grip the gun...then he gave his preferred method. Differences in hand shape and size will determine which of those three methods will work best for each individual.

jmort
03-15-2017, 01:26 PM
I hold with thumb out to side, second method he demonstrates. Long Hunter has big hands so that may be why uses the thumb as recoil support. I use "gun fighter" grips which are slimmer and fit my hand better.

shoot-n-lead
03-15-2017, 01:30 PM
I hold with thumb out to side, second method he demonstrates. Long Hunter has big hands so that may be why uses the thumb as recoil support. I use "gun fighter" grips which are slimmer and fit my hand better.

I do the same as you and I like the gunfighter grips, also, as they fit my hand better, too.

That slim grip is the reason that I have such great affection for the SAA grip...just feels so good in my hand.

Triggernosis
03-15-2017, 02:00 PM
Good info - I'm still listening.

Char-Gar
03-15-2017, 03:14 PM
The grandparents use to tell us kids that there are many ways to skin a cat. There is no one, official approved, ultimate or only way to grip and shoot a SAA revolver. People come in many different size, shapes and types. Each of us who shoot SAA revolvers eventual come up with a way that works for us. What you get on this thread are the various ways to skin the same cat.

jmort
03-15-2017, 03:26 PM
Well, you can listen to , World Championship single action revolver shooters.
Take your pick

tdoyka
03-15-2017, 04:09 PM
I hold with thumb out to side, second method he demonstrates. .

i hold my thumb out to the offside too. i'm going to try the thumb as a pointer, it seems more stable(dry firing). my super blackhack isn't a bisley, my thumb is too small, so i can't place it on the recoil shield, although i can put my thumb on the back grip frame screw. i'll try a few of my 44sp loads of "thumb can be pointer", maybe i can shoot much better.

jmort
03-15-2017, 04:19 PM
He does make a good case for pointing the thumb. It makes sense

shoot-n-lead
03-15-2017, 04:23 PM
He does make a good case for pointing the thumb. It makes sense

I just went out and tried it...it doesn't work for me.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-15-2017, 04:51 PM
The video of Long Hunter addresses shooting up close and fast. The OP opened a discussion about rabbit sized targets at 25 yards distance.

HABCAN
03-15-2017, 05:54 PM
I grip/shoot SAA's same likeum Char-Gar (Post #28), Pietta 7-1/2" .44-40............slowly, at long ranges. To each his own: consistency rules. YMMV and don't be ashamed of it if it works for YOU. 'Long Hunter' shows you what works for HIM at HIS game.

44man
03-16-2017, 09:29 AM
One thing he mentioned is to hold lower. It gets your trigger finger straighter to the trigger too. I see pictures in gun rags with the finger near 45° to the trigger.
I don't think I want my thumb on the recoil shield of my .475, etc.

jmort
03-16-2017, 09:43 AM
The video of Long Hunter addresses shooting up close and fast. The OP opened a discussion about rabbit sized targets at 25 yards distance.

You think that would be a problem. I don't.

44man
03-18-2017, 10:21 AM
I don't understand at all. Why is 7 yards to 25 so sad? Why not get a revolver to as far as you can, yes even 500 meters (547 yards.)
I have aged enough to have lost it but a few years ago this is what I did at 100 yards off hand and a line of bottles at 100 was all busted with any revolver.190936This group was 3/4" off hand with my SBH, 100 yards
No I can't shoot fast or point shoot anymore but back in the old days I could.
In 1956 with a Ruger Flat Top I shot to 500 yards off hand and hit rocks or a chuck off hand. I can understand your pocket pistol in 380 or nine but I watched a marine hit every target to 200 meters with a 1911 but the steel would not fall.
Why in the world would you shoot a big bore revolver at 10 yards?

jmort
03-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Why not get what you want?
That is what I do
Crazy, right???

atr
03-18-2017, 10:48 AM
I also cock the hammer with my left thumb when shooting both DA and SA two handed. That way my right hand grip doesn't change.
I use the same technique

Nor do I not put the pinky finger under the grip.

44man
03-18-2017, 11:14 AM
Why not get what you want?
That is what I do
Crazy, right???
Not at all. The revolver has taken me more then 60 years to figure out. Yet at the beginning I was doing crazy things. Just did not know why.
Must be the hardest gun to work. Some will live to be 100 and never make it work.
I will never forget the guy that came to shoot at the range. He asked to put a target out. We stopped for him. He put a target at 10 yards, got a SBH out and could not hit paper. I asked if I could shoot it. I clicked the sights and hit every target at 200 yards with my loads. The trigger guard cut my finger until blood flew but I never missed, He packed up and left.
Yes a revolver is a nut case. Many prefer a pistol. Still shoot 7 yards but a good pistol has no limit. Why not 100 with a 1911? Been there, done that.

Char-Gar
03-18-2017, 12:29 PM
One thing he mentioned is to hold lower. It gets your trigger finger straighter to the trigger too. I see pictures in gun rags with the finger near 45° to the trigger.
I don't think I want my thumb on the recoil shield of my .475, etc.

You are right there. It doesn't have to be a .475 either. I have split my thumbnail on lesser calibers.

tdoyka
03-18-2017, 03:58 PM
i used to be pretty good when i was shooting my(well, its been traded) ruger srh(7.5" barrel, 44 mag). i was able to do a 1 1/4 - 1 3/4" at 100 yards(5 shots) off a bench. using a tree/shovel handle/etc, i was able to do 3 - 4" group at 100 yards. this was all two handed.

since i've had a stroke, i had a hard time to get with one handed shooting. i've traded my srh and got a ruger sbh(4 5/8" barrel, 44 mag). i know that there will be no shooting at 100 yards. heck, i'm trying to get 6" circle at 30 yards. i can do 3 - 4 rounds and i'll miss the rest. i can do it at 25 yards(6 for 6 in a 4" circle), but i'm having a hard time when i go 30 yards. the sbh goes ,from a bench, 1 1/2 - 2" at 50 yards(5 shots), so i know that accuracy is still there. i'll keep trying to do 30 yards, but i am a 25 yarder when it comes to my sbh.

GL49
03-19-2017, 01:08 AM

44man
03-19-2017, 10:20 AM
i used to be pretty good when i was shooting my(well, its been traded) ruger srh(7.5" barrel, 44 mag). i was able to do a 1 1/4 - 1 3/4" at 100 yards(5 shots) off a bench. using a tree/shovel handle/etc, i was able to do 3 - 4" group at 100 yards. this was all two handed.

since i've had a stroke, i had a hard time to get with one handed shooting. i've traded my srh and got a ruger sbh(4 5/8" barrel, 44 mag). i know that there will be no shooting at 100 yards. heck, i'm trying to get 6" circle at 30 yards. i can do 3 - 4 rounds and i'll miss the rest. i can do it at 25 yards(6 for 6 in a 4" circle), but i'm having a hard time when i go 30 yards. the sbh goes ,from a bench, 1 1/2 - 2" at 50 yards(5 shots), so i know that accuracy is still there. i'll keep trying to do 30 yards, but i am a 25 yarder when it comes to my sbh.
We go to pot, I had my eyes fixed and can see again. But I complained to the eye doc that my hair has not come back or my shakes have not gone away. I crack them up in the office. When they did my eyes in the hospital, I had them rolling. Told them the thing that held my eye open was from the butt doctor. I had the gown on to recover the darn thing from my shorts.
Just got a check up and doc said the guy that did my eyes did a good job. He did it of course. When I left they were all laughing.
But need half a bottle of booze to hold still now.
We go on even with problems. We will be friends forever.

tdoyka
03-19-2017, 03:31 PM
We go to pot, I had my eyes fixed and can see again. But I complained to the eye doc that my hair has not come back or my shakes have not gone away. I crack them up in the office. When they did my eyes in the hospital, I had them rolling. Told them the thing that held my eye open was from the butt doctor. I had the gown on to recover the darn thing from my shorts.
Just got a check up and doc said the guy that did my eyes did a good job. He did it of course. When I left they were all laughing.
But need half a bottle of booze to hold still now.
We go on even with problems. We will be friends forever.

hahaha!!!!:lol::lol:

my dad had his eyes done(cataracts) like three weeks ago. he can't believe the difference. next time he goes is laser back surgery.

it took me about a year before i realized that i would be disabled. my speech isn't that great anymore, my right arm is pretty much useless and my right leg is about 20%-30% good. i'll go on walks(my road) and i will try to do anything i used to do. i can't shovel, use a chainsaw, be an operator(excavator, back hoe, skid steer...), treestands....but i learn to adapt to anything. and you(meaning i ;))have to laugh at yourself. i do, alot.

W.R.Buchanan
03-19-2017, 05:23 PM
I guess everyone is afraid to post a picture of their grip. This is how I grip my Ruger SBH Bisley.

Like 44 man said you grip the gun further down the grip so your trigger finger is straighter.

The thumb of your support hand wraps down around your firing hand thumb to tighten the grip on the gun and is also used to run the Hammer.

Also when doing this you push forward with your firing hand and pull back with your support. This puts the gun in "Isometric Tension." it is also the basis of the Weaver Grip Stance

This locks the gun in position in your hand and forces the whole mess to rotate around your elbows in recoil.

If you allow a heavy recoiling revolver to pivot loosely in your hand it will crack you between the eyes. There will always be some movement in your wrists but it should be minimized, Also when your elbows break the left elbow should break first which allows the gun to go by your face on the left side. (for right handed shooters.) If you are doing a Weaver style hold on the gun with your left elbow dropped slightly and your right arm nearly strait or slightly bent, it will tend to got that way anyway.

If you insist on doing a perfect Isosceles stance and grip with both elbows locked you will probably see the revolver going over your head as it has to pivot at your shoulders.

These are methods to control Revolvers with **** kicker loads. I don't load that hot so I get maybe 6-8" of movement out of the gun. I still use the same grip.

The Grip portion of shooting a pistol or revolver is probably the single most important thing in successful shooting. Sight Alignment and Trigger Control can't take place if your grip is not consistent and solid.

See Pic:

Randy

jmort
03-19-2017, 05:30 PM
Just watch how Long Hunter does it. Watch and learn.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-20-2017, 09:39 AM
Two hand hold standing 100 yards. Trigger control and sight alignment and regular practice is most important. This Colt's .44 Special fixed sighted SAA 3rd generation with iron sights accurately shoots Unique, Bullseye, Green and Blue Dot with scrap alloy cast in 429667 and 44-250-K sized .431. The forcing cone was cut the 11 degrees. The arch of the blackstrap comes together in the hand with regular practice.

Silver Jack Hammer
03-20-2017, 09:41 AM

bedbugbilly
03-20-2017, 11:30 AM
Late to the party . . .

You're talking SAA but it applies to all SA revolvers . . . first, every gun shoots different and the biggest problem some have in going to a SAA style from what I would call "modern" SA/DA revolvers boils down to the sights - especially when they are used to adjustable sights. Everyone's hands are different so the fit to the grip is going to be different from one person to the next.

As far as how to hold it . . .. and this isn't a smart a$$ answer . . . you hold it in the way which works best for "you" . . and then you practice, practice and practice.

One hand hold or two . . . doesn't matter. People have this vision of "cowboys" and "fast draws" and "perfect shots" . . . and certainly there were those who were good shots with a Colt SAA . . . but not everyone was going to put drive a nail each time or put meat in the pot with each shot. We are no different than they were and your brain and body tell you that if you are making a long shot, you need to support the revolver the best way you can to make it. If a competition requirers ou to shoot one handed - then you shoot one handed. If you are hunting, plinking and playing . . you are not a "sissy" if you shoot two handed. But, practice both ways to become as skilled as you can.

Think about C & B revolvers. In the Colt, you have a "Navy frame" and an "Army frame" - two different sizes and for those with big ham size hands, the Army will be easier for them to grip - but if they switch to a Navy frame - they are going to have to adjust - kind of like going from a full size auto to a sub compact. You adjust, adapt but through practice, you find out by results whites the best way for "you" to hold it.

I have a book that was written by an old WWII Marine who grew up shooting 1851 Navies and who talked and visited with many Civil War veterans - sorry I can't remember the name or the author - a senior moment. It was a private published book though. Anyway, in it, he refers to being told by a vet about a "trick" for shooting long distances with a 1851 Navy. Visualize retreating soldiers or cavalrymen . . . . he said they would cock the Navy and then drop the loading lever so that the loading plunger entered the chamber it was lined up with. They would grasp the loading lever to stabilize the revolver with their weak hand while gripping the grip with their strong hand - stabilize the revolver and aim high depending on the distance the target was from them. Shoot, pull the loading lever up, cock and rotate cylinder and then repeat for the next shot. The point is . . . they figured out a way to hold the revolver so that they could get the most accurate shot.

I have shot SA revolvers for over 50 years. I cut my teeth on an original '51 Colt Navy. I still shoot C & B but my two favorite SAA are my Uberti 357 Bisley and my 45 Colt 7 1/2" Uberti Cattleman. Both different grip styles and it took me a while to adjust to both of them but now, the grip I use just seems "natural" but to explain it, I can't. You might grip them entirely different than I do. I shoot both revolvers both ways - single handed and double handed. I love the 45 Colt and usually I shoot at 25 yards. I stepped it out to 50 yards last summer one day just to play with it. My first shot, single handed at fifty yards I hit the Bull dead center . . . skill? Nope! Just plain dumb luck. Next shot I hit three inches to the right and the third shot I didn't even hit the paper . . . but it sure was fun!

Practice practice practice . . . practice at different distances besides just 25 and 50 yards - practice with different odd distances and remember that different loads shoot differently as far as POA and POI - learn to use some "kentucky windage" and before you know it, it will all come together for you . . and don't get discouraged in the meantime. The object is to have fun . . . and if your plinking or shooting bunnies or critters . . . it doesn't make any difference if you shoot one handed or with a two handed hold . . . they aren't going to know the difference!

Good luck to you and have fun!

tdoyka
03-23-2017, 04:03 PM
i hold my thumb out to the offside too. i'm going to try the thumb as a pointer, it seems more stable(dry firing). my super blackhack isn't a bisley, my thumb is too small, so i can't place it on the recoil shield, although i can put my thumb on the back grip frame screw. i'll try a few of my 44sp loads of "thumb can be pointer", maybe i can shoot much better.

the answer is a NO!!! and it goes with OUCHH!!!!!MY THUMB!!!!!

i have done the thumb outside dry firing, and it wasn't too bad. it actually did what thumb could do, it could point to the target while maintaining accuracy. so i loaded up 280gr wfn and 8gr of unique in 44 mag and i went outside. i have a couple of split up logs that are about 15 yards away, so i decided that instead of a target, i could shoot a piece of wood. so my revolver goes out, is cocked, thumb points to the target, the front sight settles down and bang! OUCH!!!!MY THUMB!!!! i looked at my thumb, there was nothing wrong with it, so i decided i must have done something wrong, so i decided to try again. revolver goes out, is cocked, thumb points to the target, front sight settles down and bang! OUCH!!!!!MY THUMB!!!!!! i look at my thumb again and i see that i have cracked my thumbnail. i decide that the thumb should not point to the target, it should go outside( like i used to do!!!).:killingpc:-):-)

i have tried using my thumb to point and i have found it to be unnecessary and it hurts!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

rob55
09-17-2019, 01:22 PM
another thing i learned quickly. i bought a rest and i thought, now i am going to test ammo and really see how it all shoots. was i wrong, sort of. with the barrel of my uberti colts resting in the v of the rest and squeezing the trigger slowly i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with a scoop shovel standing next to it. then i sqitched to my right arm in the v rest and the gun held in my right hand as usual and the left hand just barely touching the right hand. then i could test loads. the colts does not like the barrel solid in the v of the rest. at least mine dont. i bet every one of you already know this and i just had to find it out the long hard way.

I know this is an old post, but I couldn’t help myself. I have shot a pistol from a rest with some success. I have small hands and my pinky is on the grip. I sit the butt of the pistol on a property elevated sand bag.

I encourage anyone wanting to shoot a pistol accurately to focus on trigger control. Sit in your easy chair with your shooting arm relaxed on the chair arm and an imaginary pistol in your hand. Practice the independent function of your trigger finger. Slowly squeeze and feel your hand and wrist while watching it. Tension on the back of your hand drifts the point of impact outside. Tension in your wrist drifts the point of impact inside and perhaps down. Any and all of the fingers below the trigger finger can pull inside and down. An untrained trigger finger can introduce error in any direction. Then shoot. Shoot frequently. When I was a kid a 500 brick of 22LR could be had on sale for $3.99. I probably shot a 1000 rounds a month through a Ruger semiautomatic. I later was given a S&W model 10 38. I reloaded and shot hundreds of rounds through it. When I was 13 a ten yard shot at a gray Squirrel’s head was a sure thing with either. As a young dad with no money in an urban setting I consistently shot a spring loaded daisy 1911 at paper inside a half inch. The hall down the apartment was 18 feet. I’ve found pistols to have much greater inherent accuracy than most folks believe. Don’t blame the firearm. Train the trigger finger.

Char-Gar
09-17-2019, 02:09 PM
Many shoot the SA with their little finger under the grip. Skeeter Skelton said that's how he shot them. Johnson1942 points out a pearl of wisdom I also adhere to, that is the support hand rests gently against the side of the grip. This is the manner in which I shoot Colt's SAA's for maximum accuracy.

That is the straight truth from an old Texan. Keeping all of your fingers "on" the SA grip makes it easy to rest the revolver on the trigger finger which will destroy accuracy. Placing the little finger under the grip will lift the pistol up and allow the trigger finger to not contact the revolver frame.

Much of this is also true of DA revolvers, that is why folks put grip adapters on them and grips with a filler behind the trigger guard.

Char-Gar
09-17-2019, 02:14 PM
the answer is a NO!!! and it goes with OUCHH!!!!!MY THUMB!!!!!

i have done the thumb outside dry firing, and it wasn't too bad. it actually did what thumb could do, it could point to the target while maintaining accuracy. so i loaded up 280gr wfn and 8gr of unique in 44 mag and i went outside. i have a couple of split up logs that are about 15 yards away, so i decided that instead of a target, i could shoot a piece of wood. so my revolver goes out, is cocked, thumb points to the target, the front sight settles down and bang! OUCH!!!!MY THUMB!!!! i looked at my thumb, there was nothing wrong with it, so i decided i must have done something wrong, so i decided to try again. revolver goes out, is cocked, thumb points to the target, front sight settles down and bang! OUCH!!!!!MY THUMB!!!!!! i look at my thumb again and i see that i have cracked my thumbnail. i decide that the thumb should not point to the target, it should go outside( like i used to do!!!).:killingpc:-):-)
i have tried using my thumb to point and i have found it to be unnecessary and it hurts!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

The thumb should be place lightly, without exerting pressure on the frame, below the recoil shield of the frame. Place it on or behind the recoil shield and you are likely to get a split thumb nail on a revolver with any significant recoil. Don't ask me how I know this.

Groo
09-17-2019, 08:43 PM
Groo here
First "what ever works".
Take your hammer and smack the table a few times.. use the same grip and place the little finger UNDER grips [rap or bent]
If you want it to hit the same place one or two handed,, grip with the shooting hand and "cup" with the off hand to make sure the gun kicks the same way.
Up close and fast grab with two hands tight.
The shooting hand does most of the gripping ,the off hand is for support.
On heavy kickers the gun may jump out of the offhand but in all cases the gun should not move in the shooting hand.[ the wrist will as will the elbo]
On the hardest kickers [starting with .454mag] just hang on!!!!!!!!
They will do the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!