PDA

View Full Version : What type cartridges can be short chambered?

andym79
03-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Hi guys now and an in the past I have considered shorter versions of cases. Then I got wondering to do this does a cade need to be a true straight wall like the 44mag?

A 444 38-55 and 405 dont have much taper, but I am assuming its too much to short chambered any with a standard reamer?

If so and a reamer needs to be bought, it negates the main advantage of a short version over a wildcat!

Thoughts and guidance will be very much appreciated.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-06-2017, 08:27 AM
That's an interesting question, or series of questions. Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? The first thing that comes to mind is the Winchester Short Magnum series of cartridges that does the same or more with less. In general though, the history of cartridge development has been to start short and get longer. An example would be the .38 Special/.357 Magnum/.357 Maximum, and if one doesn't like the most powerful of a series they can always use what came before. There are lots of wildcat cartridges made from standard offerings that are bottlenecks, so I wouldn't say that your idea of creating shorter cartridges would have to be straight walled, but if would be easier. In the case of the .44 Mag. there is the .44 Special. Where are you trying to go with this (and why?)?

andym79
03-06-2017, 03:36 PM
I wanted something between the 445 and 444 but then realized my smith could just short chamber a 444 the reamer.

17nut
03-06-2017, 04:08 PM
454 casul and 460S&W comes to mind.

The main problem is with cartridge feeding from the mag tube. If a cartridge is to short for the elevator the next one might slip out and lock up the action solid. Known to many as the dreaded Marlin jam.

Unless you're really into the mechanics of a lever and understand how to tune it for the new and shorter cartridge, stay with something tried and true.

GhostHawk
03-06-2017, 11:26 PM
Why short? Why not buy a .444 and load what you want in it from mild to wild?

I know of no real advantage of going short. Long sometimes can be good. Can let you set the bullet with care right at the edge of the rifling. So an unfired bullet ejects easily with no marks but there is virtually no "jump" to the rifling.

But I know of no advantage to short. So please enlighten me.

andym79
03-07-2017, 02:03 AM
I hear what you are saying, but I dont want to use something like a 44 special in a 44 mag chamber! I want to use a bullet as you can describe with minimal amount jump in a shorter chamber!

I really was just looking for confirmation that it only works for straight cartridges.

missionary5155
03-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Greetings
Another consideration is the action these cartridges need to function through.
A Marlin 336 is sensitive to cartridges that are too short. Example. The Dan Wesson 414 Supermag. Been shooting one for years and desired a lever flipper in the same caliber. Solution.. Send a rusty bore 336To JES Reboring. His groove diameter of .412 is good but a 414 is not a common caliber so the reamer was the issue which can be overcome with time and $225.
So with the work done discovered the 336 does not like too short. Easy solution.. Long seat the cast 265 grainer or use a very long nose 280 grainer. A "block" on the lifter also will help.
So just be aware the rifle has working parameters that you might also have to work with.
And if you short chamber a chamber... do you have a solution for the case rim to be cut ?
Mike in Peru

GhostHawk
03-07-2017, 09:32 AM
I hear what you are saying, but I dont want to use something like a 44 special in a 44 mag chamber! I want to use a bullet as you can describe with minimal amount jump in a shorter chamber!

I really was just looking for confirmation that it only works for straight cartridges.

Agree, but I still see no reason not to just buy a Lever action in .444 marlin.

Custom guns you only think you see all the costs. There can be hidden complications that just do not show until you run into them. Choose well grasshopper, its your rifle.

OlDeuce
03-13-2017, 03:38 PM
You just can't beat the .444 in any configuration ........just cut the chamber in a 44 mag and your home....almost:-)

country gent
03-13-2017, 03:57 PM
You can short chamber the bottle neck cartridges you need to face of the die the same amount as what you short chambered the rifle. With the 445 Super Mag short chambering a 444 would be duplicating it. Also with some lever action Oal length is a major factor in functioning.

BAGTIC
03-17-2017, 02:05 PM
If you will be loading heavier weight bullets that are typically seated somewhat deep in the 445 Super you could gain a lot just buy long throating the 445 to accept longer COL. In those straight cases even .25-.30 increase in COL produced a proportionally larger percentage increase in case capacity. If you are loading short bullets there is less to be gained as the short bullets can not be seated longer without running out of case.