PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a CVA 223

northmn
03-05-2017, 11:35 AM
LGS has some CVA Hunters (black stock) on sale for less than most 22LRs. Cal is 223. At the price I really think I will probably bite even though I really don't need a 223 as I have a Handi Rifle in 243 which I have all the loading stuff for. However I also have a couple of Lyman 22 molds so maybe it would be a fun rifle down the road. I also have some 22 Hornet bullets and some 224 55 grain WW bullets stashed away. Darned deals come along and one should be strong but at $219 one can weaken pretty quick.

DEP

buckshotshoey
03-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Sure. Why not. Know a guy that has one. He's happy. My Dad considered one but didn't like the stock. Just didn't feel right to him.

Reloading Rod
03-05-2017, 02:43 PM
I'm giving one a try a guy had one for sale locally for $150 scoped and 100 rounds of ammo and a case . Hard to pass up a deal like that

=RR

northmn
03-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Had the wrong model. This one is a Stalker with a 24 inch barrel. Bought the thing and will play with it. See what happens. Need to see which scope I have laying around will fit it first.
Don't see the 223 listed for a Stalker on the CVA web site when I looked up specs for it but the box says Stalker and it has the barrel release on the rear of the TG.

DP

buckshotshoey
03-05-2017, 04:13 PM
I'm giving one a try a guy had one for sale locally for $150 scoped and 100 rounds of ammo and a case . Hard to pass up a deal like that

=RR
You lucky dog! That WOULD be impossible to pass up!

beechbum444
03-06-2017, 12:24 AM
Funny...all I ever find is 243 and cannot find one in 223....

northmn
03-06-2017, 10:18 AM
They stock Rossi's which are in 243 and my Handi Rifle was only in 243. The LGS (Reed's Sporting Goods, they have a web site) had these on display one out and others in boxes. They had a couple left. They seem to look at them as a "beginners" deer rifle. I bought a box of Federal Fusion for them 62 grain as I read good reports on them for deer and thought that they would also be good on coyotes, which is mostly what I would probably carry the rifle for. I have too many deer rifles already, like my 243 Handi Rifle, a 45-70 Rolling Block, several levers and a couple of bolt actions. I find the single shots kind of fun however.

DEP

Texas by God
03-06-2017, 12:44 PM
I only see .243s and 7mm-08s. I want a .44 mag to rechamber to 44-40. Yep.
Best, Thomas.

mattri
03-06-2017, 06:21 PM
I've actually been looking at one in 44 mag- not to rechamber but just to have. Seems like it could be a neat little rifle.

northmn
03-07-2017, 09:40 AM
My Stalker is bit on the heavy side which is fine for the caliber. The scope mount that comes with it would permit mounting about any scope but seems a little high. Weather is pure misery right now, with wind advisory warnings out and it snowed last night. About the only spare scope I have is a 4X so I might wait a bit to find a higher power scope for it. Bought a box of American Eagles to rough site it in. CVA makes the Apex the Stalker and the Hunter. The Hunter is the inexpensive one with a MSP of about 250. The Stalker has a 24 inch barrel to the 20 inch on the Hunter and has a different latch system. I do not see any listings for the Stalker in this caliber or many others. CVA lists it in 45-70, 444, and 35 Whelen. Some time it was made in other calibers. Like I mentioned it is a hefty rifle. The Apex is a more expensive SS but has provisions for interchangeable barrels. At the price of this rifle it si less expensive to just buy the rifle.

DEP

buckshotshoey
03-07-2017, 09:54 AM
They stock Rossi's which are in 243 and my Handi Rifle was only in 243. The LGS (Reed's Sporting Goods, they have a web site) had these on display one out and others in boxes. They had a couple left. They seem to look at them as a "beginners" deer rifle. I bought a box of Federal Fusion for them 62 grain as I read good reports on them for deer and thought that they would also be good on coyotes, which is mostly what I would probably carry the rifle for. I have too many deer rifles already, like my 243 Handi Rifle, a 45-70 Rolling Block, several levers and a couple of bolt actions. I find the single shots kind of fun however.

DEP

Just curious...... a 62 gr, 243 boolit? For deer? I don't recall anything under 90 recommended in .243. The 90 to 100 gr soft points are generally recommended. Unless very small deer. Can you verify were this info came from? I would like to study it.

Texas by God
03-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Probably a typo. The .223 uses a 62 gr Fusion. The .243 uses a 90 or 95 gr I believe.

northmn
03-07-2017, 11:40 AM
I bought the Fusions in 223. I use 100 grain Nosler partition handloads in my 243. Although I did get a deer with a 95 grain Nosler ballistic tip. The comment was made concerning single shot rifles found in a LGS. It seems they are all 243's like in the one I frequent.
For some obscure reason I find these single shots fun to shoot. When I sat at my shooting range with the 243 Handi rifle I found myself plinking at weeds sticking up out of the snow and other such things. I just ordered a scope for the CVA and will be waiting for a little better weather. My range faces the North and the wind today is at 20+ mph.
I tend to read the reviews on the Midway USA site and have found them to be pretty reliable if there are enough of them. I bought a Tasco Red Dot based on the reviews and it has been a good product. I bought the Fusion ammo based on reviews. Found it interesting when I looked at the info on the box. They claimed the best results would come from its use in a semi auto rifle? The CVA has a 1-10 twist according to it site and 1-10 ought to be plenty for a 62 grain bullet. 223 is kind of like the 30-30, factory ammo can be had such that it hardly pays to reload for it. Do want to try some cast.

DEP

buckshotshoey
03-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Probably a typo. The .223 uses a 62 gr Fusion. The .243 uses a 90 or 95 gr I believe.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Reloading Rod
03-08-2017, 08:54 AM
"Don't see the 223 listed for a Stalker on the CVA web site when I looked up specs for it"

Noticed that also I wonder if they quit making them. I purchased that one that was for sale, can't wait to get out and give it some range time.

oneofsix
03-18-2017, 12:55 PM
I just traded for a Hunter in .308, another not listed on the CVA site. Anyone rebarreling these? There doesn't seem to be any aftermarket for barrels in other calibers...