PDA

View Full Version : Optic choice for bad vision?

PerpetualStudent
03-05-2017, 10:39 AM
For my Dad's birthday I'm wanting to get him an optic in the 50-100 dollar range, it'll go on a 10/22. His vision ain't what it used to be, he was on tri-focals I think he might have gone over to the progressive version.

My first thought was a scope but as I was searching I found some guys with glasses had issues focusing a scope. I don't know if a red-dot would be a better choice. I imagine either of those would be better than irons for him, but I though I'd ask what you guys recommend for post-prime eyes.

dragon813gt
03-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Aperture, Red Dot or SeeAll. My eyes haven't been able to adjust to using the SeeAll. But I know guys like them. A simple aperture is easy to use and a vast improvement over buckhorns.

Earlwb
03-05-2017, 11:02 AM
I would tend to go with a red dot optical type of sight too. You only have to get the red dot on the target to fire. It adjusts for windage and elevation just like you get on a scope too.

tazman
03-05-2017, 02:27 PM
How far away and how small are the targets he will be shooting?
For small targets and distance, you need a scope for best accuracy. The dot in the red dot covers a lot of target.
For shorter distances and larger targets, the red dot is great.

richmanpoorman
03-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Progressives are best (I have them). You can buy a good red dot on Amazon for 40 bucks.

TacFire Dark Earth Tan Holographic Tactical Reflex Sight Dual Illuminated Red/Green 4 Multi-Reticles, Extended Hood Housing

I have 3 on ARs, 10/22 and pistol. They work fine and offer various reticle choices and brightness settings.

Have used them out to 100 yards on ARs with no issues.

M-Tecs
03-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Each vision issue is different. I have worn glass all my life and for me scopes are not am issue. I currently wear bifocals. For most applications I much prefer a scope over a red dot but I use both. For optics in the 50-100 dollar range the only one I have personal experience with is the Bushnell TRS 25 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598594-REG/Bushnell_731303_1x25_Trophy_TRS_25_Riflescope.html/?c3api=3679%2Cbing%2C2763659971%2C1105202454762

They are a nice unit for the money.

PerpetualStudent
03-05-2017, 02:45 PM
He's a fairly casual shooter, it won't see many rounds through it, certainly he's not going to pick up hunting or precision competition. Ideally I'd like to get him through an appleseed event but that's probably the most that will be asked out of it. My hope is making it easier for him to shoot will help him shoot more often.

I like the idea/utility of a scope better (plus no batteries) but the issues some folks with trifocals have make me pause.

GhostHawk
03-05-2017, 10:42 PM
I am 64, have bifocals, can see ok with a decent scope. Irons beyond 50 yards are a no go and that distance shrinks some every year.

Last year I spotted a Truglo Red Dot type sight that had built in 2x magnification.
Hey those 100 yard targets look like 50's now. Huge improvement.

Looks like a short, small scope, but the dot picks up fast and easy on moving targets.

If I was to hunt again it would be my sight of choice.

I only have the one, considering a second. It currently is on my Yugo SKS.

I also liked that it came with flip up scope covers that had a bit of tint, but could be seen through.
So in a pinch you can see enough to make a good shot with them down.

Overall I love mine, and as I said I am considering a second. Would not mind one in 3 or 4 power either.

Sells in the 60$ range at amazon.

Mk42gunner
03-06-2017, 12:08 AM
I prefer a good scope to redots or irons since my eye sight started going bad. I have to wear reading glasses to make out the sights and that plays havoc with even seeing what I am shooting at.

The scopes with the fast focus eyepiece work great if I am wearing corrective lenses or not, clarity is just a twist away. I do not know if any of these are available within your stated price range or not.

Robert

northmn
03-06-2017, 10:28 AM
I have a 1.5-4.5 Bushnell scope on my 35 Remington. I had a Red Dot and just cannot bring myself to trust batteries like you mention. I thought the Red Dot might be handy on a H&R Handi Rifle in 243 but it covered a lot of sighting area, I believe a 5" circle at 100 yards. The Bushnell costs something like $70 and has taken 3 deer and sat on the rifle for 4 years and held its zero. Using these examples because I think it would make an excellent 22 scope and may see that use for me. I have generally had some problems with cheap optics. Mostly in maintaining zero and had a couple you could not sight in.

DEP

Boolit_Head
03-06-2017, 10:40 AM
With my vision red dots appear mangled and anything but red. There is also the lack of magnification to deal with. Scopes are my favorite optic and adjusting the focusing eyepiece ring is easy even with my mono vision contacts in.