PDA

View Full Version : shooting gascheck boolits with out the check

muffinman
07-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Was wondering if its possible to shoot gascheck boolits with out the check, wanting to use some RD .460-350s for light loads in my .45-70 with out the expense of gaschecks. And for you wise guys yea I know they will shoot ,but how well?

felix
07-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Muffin, my man, only you can decide what you ask. ... felix

runfiverun
07-06-2008, 02:39 AM
might wanna run a card under them but your rifle will tell ya whether it will do it well or not.

Thumbcocker
07-06-2008, 09:01 AM
I shoot low velocity loads without gas checks all the time in .30 cals and in .45-70 with the Ed Harris load of 13.0 of red dot. Shot some soup cans yesterday in a .30 carb Ruger without gas checks. LLA and sized to just over throad diamater. 0 leading at reduced velocity.

Boerrancher
07-06-2008, 09:45 AM
I use to shot my 30-30 all the time with out gas checks, and some of my loads were not light. I used a heavy card wad about 0.315 in dia, and packed the case full of toilet paper between the powder and the card wad using the boolit to compress it all. I also used LLA and JPW to tumble lube them.

I did have a break down in accuracy, starting at around 1800 fps, and expanding by about an inch to inch and a half for every 100 fps of additional velocity, along with leading. A friend of mines rifle wouldn't shoot GC boolits at all with out the gas check in place. The only way to find out is to try it and see. If the results are acceptable for you have fun, if not buy one of Charlie's gas check makers, they do work, as long as you calculate they proper thickness of material you need.

Also as a side note I didn't resize these, as they dropped 0.002-0.003 over my bore size.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

jack19512
07-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I have some rifles that will shoot fine without the GC and some that won't shoot well at all without it. In my opinion you will just have to try each with and without to see for sure. I don't think anyone can tell you if they will or won't. :)