PDA

View Full Version : Did I Time Travel Today?

308Jeff
03-04-2017, 05:22 PM
While Sorting Wheel Weights

Stopped by a nearby tire shop as they were closing a few nights ago. They had a completely full bucket, and were kind enough to let me have it. I wasn't carrying any empty buckets with me at the time, but the manager let me take theirs as I promised to return it first thing the next morning. When I dropped the bucket off, the manager let me know they had two more buckets that had been stored outside for a while.

I gladly took those two off their hands as well.

It was evident they had been out there a while. Buckets were full of rusted weights and cigarette butts.

Got to sorting them out today, and had an interesting yield.

55% Steel
4.5% Zinc
11% SOW
29.5% COW

The SOW and COW percentages are fairly consistent with my other sorts, but the Zn to Fe ratio is really skewed.

I'm no archeologist, but it would appear that at one time Fe was prime replacement for Pn, and Zn was just starting to appear?

Bookworm
03-04-2017, 07:21 PM
That looks right to me. Of the non-lead weights I get, there are far more Fe than Zn.
I don't know if it is 10:1, as yours was, but it seems fairly close.

Must be steel is cheaper than zinc.

Budzilla 19
03-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Same here, far more Fe than Zn, and Pb weights. Melt your Zn weights and offer them up to your fellow casters as some have no source of Zn! It can be used to enrich alloys to a certain percentage without ruining your alloy, so I have been told! I'm going to try the Zn enrichment to build some high velocity rifle boolits! Or just sell it to your local scrap yard. Good luck whatever way you go! Good score, by the way!

lightman
03-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Well, thats a good score even if the yield is not great. Makes you wonder what the story on those outside weights is.

TexasGrunt
03-04-2017, 09:20 PM
I guess it depends on where you live. I get more steel than zinc. Not 55% steel though. I'd guess the closer you are to a state that bans lead the more non-lead you'll get.

The barrel of weights I'm picking up Monday I'll make sure to weigh how much steel and zinc I pull out. If I feel industrious I'll see what the SOWW vs COWW break down is too.

308Jeff
03-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the insight, guys.

My previous averages have been about 25% Fe and 30% Zn. Not sure if it's geographical, historical, or even tire chain preference at this point.

I'm going to sort the new/indoors bucket from the same place tomorrow along with a bucket I picked up at couple of other places and see how that turns out.

Budzilla, I've been saving all my Zn as I know it has some value somewhere. Right now it's all still unmelted in a 5 gallon bucket.

I'd be really interested to hear what your COWW and SOWW breakdown is, TexasGrunt.

308Jeff
03-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Sorted a total of 5 buckets this weekend. The last two went much quicker as I decided it was time to set my security blanket dykes aside and trust what I've learned.

It looks like the previous two buckets I got were actually the exception, and not the norm. While the first two were about 25% Fe and 31% Zn, the average of these 5 was 48% and 5% respectively.

I did find it interesting that at one time they were using left hand and right hand wheel weights. Funny thing is, I only found left hand and no right hand?189753 :p

Look at that big fat worm on the top of the pile! Makes my mouf water....189754

MaryB
03-06-2017, 12:09 AM
My last buck of WW was 80% lead, around 15% steel, 5% zinc. No trash the guys there are fussy because one of them uses them to cast tractor weight he sells. But I do electronic repair for him so I barter for lead!

308Jeff
03-06-2017, 08:43 AM
80%! That would be amazing.

MaryB
03-08-2017, 01:39 AM
Shop has been around for years, they do a lot of farm truck business so the WW are big... and they are still using up old stock lead weights the manager bought 20 years ago(he got a deal on a semi load I think!)

308Jeff
03-08-2017, 09:18 AM
That's a great source!