PDA

View Full Version : Spanish 1916 7x57 at OWS for $100

trooperdan
03-04-2017, 01:24 PM
Still in stock at Old Western Scrounger, old SAMCO stock. I got several of these, one turned out to be a Lowew but the markings were barely visible. All had been refinished at some point in there long life, presumable by Spanish arsenals. All were dirty, small amount of rust, bores dark and pitted except the Lowew that feels remarkable smooth to a brush and patch but is dark and filthy. I don't think i'll ever get a patch to come out clean on any of them. Some pitting under the wood on the barrel but not enough to worry me. I used the Frontier "Big 45" metal cleaner and was really impressed! It is like a steel ball of curly strips of metal that marks rust disappear yet seems to improve the bluing!
I could not get one bolt disassembled, the cocking piece turns but does come off. Had no trouble with the others but this one has me puzzled. It was the most heavily grunged up of the bunch. Another doesn't have sufficient trigger travel to release the sear, seems to be hitting the rear of the floorplate, might try swapping magazine assemblies as none are matched anyway.
I'll just be using boolits in these, rough bores and all, tiny sights, bad bores, can't expect too much but might have fun anyway! Haven't seen many C&R rifles for $100 in several years!

racepres
03-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Last time I had a Small ring trigger that wouldn't "travel" far enough...it had an Undersized [Pivot] pin in it..

roverboy
03-05-2017, 06:22 AM
I'm glad to see a few of these are still around. I missed out on one years ago for $80.00 out the door. Your price these days is awesome.

RustyReel
03-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Trooper, did you get the "West Virginia Specials", with sporter stocks, or the GI versions with military stocks. Just curious, but what was the shipping charge for several?? Thanks for the tip! But I hope they are all gone before I decide I gotta have one.

Never mind. Found your review (and the shipping calculator)