PDA

View Full Version : powder coating ruined alloy/

psweigle
03-04-2017, 12:42 PM
I was wondering, has anyone tried powder coating boolits made from contaminated alloy? ive heard of zinc contaminating lead and ruining the batch. Couldnt a person cast them, and then powder coat and shoot them? i do not powder coat, so im not sure how it would work.

imashooter2
03-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Zinc makes it difficult to make good castings. Powder coating poorly cast boolits wouldn't make them magically good. Could you shoot them? Yes. But you can shoot poorly cast traditionally lubed boolits too. Results in both cases would depend on just how bad the castings were.

psweigle
03-04-2017, 12:52 PM
that makes sense. Ive never cast zinc contaminated lead, wasnt sure how it came out. if it would fill out the mold, then im guessing the powdercoating might make them usable instead of worthless. it was just a thought.

Sasquatch-1
03-05-2017, 09:43 AM
I'll go +1 on this. In the swaging community some swage a zinc washer to the bottom of the bullet like a gas check. Zinc is actually suppose to be good for the barrel. Unfortunately, as mentioned, it hard to cast.

Zinc makes it difficult to make good castings. Powder coating poorly cast boolits wouldn't make them magically good. Could you shoot them? Yes. But you can shoot poorly cast traditionally lubed boolits too. Results in both cases would depend on just how bad the castings were.

psweigle
03-05-2017, 12:40 PM
i may have to make a batch of zinc and lead, just to see for myself. if a guy were to use an oversized mold, maybe he could get a usable boolit. like, say an 8mm mold to make a .315 boolit?