PDA

View Full Version : Saw Kathy Mattea this evening in concert

richhodg66
03-04-2017, 02:04 AM
Great concert. Very small venue, just her and her guitarist. Real down to earth performance. I listened to her a LOT back in the mid to late 90s and always thought she was a real artist not just some pop singer like all the country acts are now. I love concerts like that, one of the few times where the wife and I are actually in the younger age range in a crowd anymore, LOL.

ShooterAZ
03-04-2017, 10:05 AM
richhodg66,

She is an awesome performer, I like her a lot too. Here's a link to her and Suzy Boggess performing an old classic, one of my favorites of hers. Hope you like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLX2jjg4kWs

lightman
03-04-2017, 10:29 AM
She's a class act. We haven't been to a concert in years.

DoubleAdobe
03-04-2017, 11:24 AM
She is the real deal, and I am jealous,lol.

Walla2
03-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Great music and performers. Thanks

Detroitdanm
03-05-2017, 04:43 AM
A local AM radio station recently went with a classic country format and I've been rediscovering a lot of great music I hadn't heard for years. Kathy Mattea's "Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses" is one of those songs and I'd forgotten how much I liked it and her. Glad to hear she's still out performing.

I do love that about country music, the fans don't forget their older artists, nor does the genre. And the artists so often seem to age like fine wine, getting better with more depth given time and seasoning. I've been listening to a lot of Willie Nelsons recent music and while the voice may not be as strong, he still sounds amazing. I was also lucky enough to see Merle Haggard about 6 months before he passed and the mastery and talent was amazing.

Plate plinker
03-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Nice and I concur modern country sucks.

richhodg66
03-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Nice and I concur modern country sucks.

It really does, but even though she got air play as a country artist, not sure she really ever fit that mold. One of the things I liked about that concert the other evening was that she didn't play much of the tuff that got air play on mainstream country stations. She's done a lot of blue grass and folks stuff. She also did a really good cover of Bobbie Gentry's Ode to Billy Joe which was unexpected and cool.

I like artists who don't get put into a template for what the market wants and when I think back to my late 20s and early 30's when I was a young parent and was really kind of a formative time for me, I listened to her and Chris Ledoux (which sounds like an odd combo, but both did their own thing not what some record company wanted) to the exclusion of most other musicians.

condorjohn
03-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Somewhere in storage I have an old VHS tape of a Beatles Tribute. Kathy does two covers on that program. One of them was "The Night Before". She nailed it.