PDA

View Full Version : Lee's press mounted priming system

tranders
03-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Just ordered the Lee Classic cast turret press. I have not read many good reviews of Lee's press mounted priming system.
Would like to hear experiences and opinions of this system.

Thank you!

TCFAN
03-03-2017, 11:04 AM
My Lee classic turret has the Lee safety prime and all I can say is it works fantastic.It was easy to set up.I have not had one bit of trouble with it except my small prime broke a spring and it was a easy fix. It does fail to feed the last 2 or 3 primers but I can live with that.

TCStehle
03-03-2017, 01:11 PM
I recently converted from a couple of Lee Pro1000 presses to the Lee Classic Turret press with Lee Auto Drum measure and couldn't be happier!!

The safety prime system takes a bit of getting use to but once it's setup and you get a feel for the rhythm of motion it takes to use it then it works quite well. I also appreciate the fact that the fear of a mass detonation of primers is now gone. Never had one in the 20+ years I used the Pro1000s but the thought was always in the back of my mind.

I kept my primer trays from the Pro1000s and use them on the safety prime system. I drilled a hole thru the center, super glued a rubber washer to act as a spacer between the lid and tray then added a screw and nut.

I don't have to worry about the primer tray popping open and the round trays allow enough clearance for the Lee Auto Drum measure WITHOUT the need for a disk riser!! The new primer trays from Lee leave something to be desired.

Here's a pic of my setup.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170303/ad046574f0734e96aef3fa528b2d0997.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tranders
03-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Good to hear. Thank you for the pic

sawinredneck
03-03-2017, 01:53 PM
I have the CCT as well with the safety prime, I read somewhere to set it up so it comes in a little from the left. I set mine up that way and haven't had many problems other than when primers get low.
As mentioned, there is a feel to it to get the rythem down and you kinda have to hold your tongue right and not force it. It's not as hard as it sounds and works better than most people make out to be. I really like mine!

ukrifleman
03-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Just ordered the Lee Classic cast turret press. I have not read many good reviews of Lee's press mounted priming system.
Would like to hear experiences and opinions of this system.

Thank you!

I use a Lee Safety prime on my Classic Turret press and it works very well, you just have to adjust its position to get it to work properly.

Using the Lee safety prime with the indexing rod installed and a Lee Auto Disk powder measure mounted on the 4 hole turret, I can crank out up to 200 rounds/hour of 44-40 or 45 Colt ammo without breaking into a sweat once I get a rhythm going.

ukrifleman

tranders
03-03-2017, 05:15 PM
On the Midway site it is saying I need another bracket to mount the Auto Prime to the Classic Cast Turret,but I can't find this bracket anywhere. Any help??

Tried calling Lee,but their line is busy.

VHoward
03-03-2017, 05:26 PM
The bracket needed came with the Classic Cast Turret press when I bought one. Don't know if it is still that way.

dragon813gt
03-03-2017, 05:37 PM
The bracket needed came with the Classic Cast Turret press when I bought one. Don't know if it is still that way.

It either comes w/ the press or the safety prime itself. So you will have the part you need.

Once the Safety Prime is set up properly it works very well. It won't feed the last 2-3 primers reliably. This is due to the design. W/out the weight of the column of primers pushing on the last few it won't feed them reliably. I'm willing to live w/ this quirk.

tranders
03-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Ok, great. Thank you for the help

TCoggins
03-03-2017, 06:01 PM
I use this system on my Lee Classic Turret. Works great for me. My dad used it, and then bought the same systemfor his Lee single stage press, and it works well for him also.

ukrifleman
03-03-2017, 07:56 PM
On the Midway site it is saying I need another bracket to mount the Auto Prime to the Classic Cast Turret,but I can't find this bracket anywhere. Any help??

Tried calling Lee,but their line is busy.
The bracket that comes with the safety prime kit is for a Breech Lock challenger press and is held on with 2 screws.

The part you need for a turret press is part No. TP2260 and is held on by one of the bolts supporting the turret mounting. (See photos)

Gillie Dog
03-03-2017, 09:32 PM
The bracket that comes with the safety prime kit is for a Breech Lock challenger press and is held on with 2 screws.

The part you need for a turret press is part No. TP2260 and is held on by one of the bolts supporting the turret mounting. (See photos)

Last I saw it comes with both brackets so it works on which ever press you have.

GD

TCFAN
03-03-2017, 09:43 PM
My safety prime came with both brackets. Now my safety prime is a couple years old and came with the round tray.

Bzcraig
03-03-2017, 10:40 PM
Though I now prime off press, the safety prime worked like a charm for years when I used it.

tranders
03-03-2017, 11:37 PM
I got in touch with Lee and they confirmed that the press and the priming system will come with the correct bracket. Thank you all for the fantastic help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-03-2017, 11:44 PM
I use Lee's safety prime, while it seems a bit hookey and cheaply made, I really like. There is a bit of a learning curve, to get the "feel" of how to use it, but once you do, you'll love it. I've primed thousands of cases with it, broke a spring as TCFAN mentions, actually I broke it a couple times, it's easy to fix.

VHoward
03-04-2017, 12:49 AM
When I had my classic cast turret, I had to put a washer under the bracket to raise the safety prime up far enough so it would feed a primer while the ram was all the way up. Did they fix that with a new bracket?

dragon813gt
03-04-2017, 08:11 AM
When I had my classic cast turret, I had to put a washer under the bracket to raise the safety prime up far enough so it would feed a primer while the ram was all the way up. Did they fix that with a new bracket?

This wasn't the case for everyone. Mine will feed almost every time w/ the ram fully raised. But if I back it off slightly it feeds every single time. I could move the washer that comes w/ it under the bracket but I never bothered. I've gotten used to the rhythm of backing off the ram and then priming.

bigolsmokebomb
03-04-2017, 10:06 AM
No issues with it at all. Prime all my pistol on the press and I've probably reloaded 25-30000 rds of 9mm

psweigle
03-04-2017, 10:50 AM
i have an rcbs jr3, and a lee classic cast turret, as well as the lee breech lock challenger. i will be perfectly honest when i tell you that i prefer to use the lee safety prime over the rcbs. it was a bit of a learning curve to use , but once i got it down, its my second favorite priming method. the first being the old lee auto prime II on a lee reloader c press..

tranders
03-05-2017, 01:34 PM
i have an rcbs jr3, and a lee classic cast turret, as well as the lee breech lock challenger. i will be perfectly honest when i tell you that i prefer to use the lee safety prime over the rcbs. it was a bit of a learning curve to use , but once i got it down, its my second favorite priming method. the first being the old lee auto prime II on a lee reloader c press..I'm hoping to have the same experience. I have the priming system on my Rock Crusher. I agree it's less than ideal for sure.

r1kk1
03-05-2017, 04:43 PM
I have the priming system on my Rock Crusher. I agree it's less than ideal for sure.

So you have the CH4D RockCrusher that weighs 103 lbs? Or is it the earlier Old Western Scrounger (OWS)?

Weird but I have a feeling you have a RCBS Rock Chucker.

take care

r1kk1

tranders
03-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Yep, I have a RCBS Rock Crusher. I apologize,didn't realize there was other presses with that name.

r1kk1
03-05-2017, 11:04 PM
Yep, I have a RCBS Rock Crusher. I apologize,didn't realize there was other presses with that name.

No that is the RCBS Rock Chucker.

This his is the CH4D Rock Crusher.

The one one on the bottom will do 20mm and 25mm ammo. It is cast steel and weighs 103 lbs. current price is 1700.00.

Two totally different presses.

RCBS does not make Rock Crusher.

Take care

r1kk1

jetinteriorguy
03-06-2017, 07:01 AM
You can have mine for half price if you want. I'm far from a Lee basher, I have a lot of their stuff and like Lee products just fine but this is one thing that no matter how I try it's just not working for me. I think in my case it might be because I'm using the cheaper turret, not the classic cast. I got the press used for $20.00 and it works great, just not with the Safety Prime. No big deal, I just prime off the press with the Ergo Prime and all is well.

tranders
03-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Yep,you are correct. I have the Rock Chucker
No that is the RCBS Rock Chucker.I apologize once gain.

This his is the CH4D Rock Crusher.

The one one on the bottom will do 20mm and 25mm ammo. It is cast steel and weighs 103 lbs. current price is 1700.00.

Two totally different presses.

RCBS does not make Rock Crusher.

Take care

r1kk1

Ole Joe Clarke
03-06-2017, 11:37 AM
I got the priming attachment when I bought the classic turret. I had to deburr it completely before it would work correctly. Used it on one small run of reloads, then took it off and gave it away. I have primed by hand for years and like it that way.

Leon

tranders
03-06-2017, 01:16 PM
I have a hand primer and the primer sytem forthe Rock Chucker if it doesn't work out. It seems that people like it or hate it.
I got the priming attachment when I bought the classic turret. I had to deburr it completely before it would work correctly. Used it on one small run of reloads, then took it off and gave it away. I have primed by hand for years and like it that way. What hand primer do you use?

Leon

tranders
03-06-2017, 01:18 PM
What hand primer are you using?

richmanpoorman
03-06-2017, 01:46 PM
The issue I've had is a failure to drop a primer unless the ram is all the way up.

Freightman
03-06-2017, 01:55 PM
I use the safety prim on my Lee single stage classic, I have a older turret so I de-prim and prim on the S-S take the de-prim stem out of the sizing die size and load on the turret works great for me.

DLCTEX
03-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Safety Prime is my preferred priming method.

Ole Joe Clarke
03-06-2017, 05:34 PM
The Lee Auto Prime from way back for small pistol primers and the RCBS bench primer for large primers. Never had a problem with either, but I do take care of them.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/olejoeclark/Reloading/20160324_143114_zpsvk4tcidj.jpg (http://s928.photobucket.com/user/olejoeclark/media/Reloading/20160324_143114_zpsvk4tcidj.jpg.html)

DougGuy
03-06-2017, 06:01 PM
I have never found any of the Lee press mounted priming systems to be totally reliable. I use the ergo prime hand primer tool and get no upside down primers, no sideways primers, no skipped primers and I can check for below flush primers on every single case when it comes off the priming tool. Primers are critical that they be done right. Primers are also the most dangerous part of operating a press, so why would I not take every precaution against accident and every opportunity to insure consistency and use a hand primer?

racepres
03-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Primers are also the most dangerous part of operating a press, so why would I not take every precaution against accident and every opportunity to insure consistency and use a hand primer?
I have been using the little "C" press from Lee for as long as I have had my early [original] "ram prime" I believe they called it..For...more than 20 years...Never any problem at all...
I find that I can have total control of Primer seating..including Depth if I wanted to...
Like anything utilizing manual dexterity...one needs to pay attention and develop a Feel...