PDA

View Full Version : Sorting WWs - Release Magnet

308Jeff
03-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Managed to wrangle up a few buckets of WWs in the past few days, and I'm gonna have a go at 'em this weekend.

My sorting has gotten faster, but I thought I'd try using a release magnet to quickly segregate the stick on lead weights from the rest of the stuff (except composite). Don't know if it's actually gonna make anything faster or not, but we'll see.

http://www.harborfreight.com/long-reach-magnetic-pickup-tool-with-quick-release-93950.html

Uncle Jimbo
03-02-2017, 04:21 PM
I use a release magnet to do this. (Mine is way old) It works good for soww. If it sticks, it is not lead. Only draw back is zinc doesn't stick either. After you get to using it, you can use it on coww. And even though the steel clip will stick, you can tell the difference. Again, zinc will need to be sorted by hand.

308Jeff
03-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Yeah you're right about that. I've ran across a few zinc stick ons, so I'll have to be mindful of those.

NoAngel
03-02-2017, 04:57 PM
I keep an old pair of wire dykes handy. If you can cut it, cast it. You won't cut a zinc weight. Not without using a significant amount of effort.

Also, all stick on weights are not created equal. I have found one type of stick on weight that is hard like clip on. They're painted grey and are small thick squares OR triangular wedge shaped instead of the typical thin rectangle shape. They have a symbol on them. An oval with a curved line through it. I used to see them often but as of late, not so much.

308Jeff
03-02-2017, 04:59 PM
I keep an old pair of wire dykes handy. If you can cut it, cast it. You won't cut a zinc weight. Not without using a significant amount of effort.

Also, all stick on weights are not created equal. I have found one type of stick on weight that is hard like clip on. They're painted grey and are small thick squares OR triangular wedge shaped instead of the typical thin rectangle shape. They have a symbol on them. An oval with a curved line through it. I used to see them often but as of late, not so much.

Thanks for the pointer on the stick ons!

I use dykes/sidecutters on everything before I throw 'em in the pot. I like the extra assurance.

lightman
03-02-2017, 10:01 PM
I agree with the dykes. I've found a magnet to be of limited value. It will stick to the clip on even a large weight. When I'm sorting weights I'm not worried about the steel. The only negative is the btu's wasted when heating the steel weights. The composite weights stink and the steel will float. I'm more concerned with the zinc.