PDA

View Full Version : Best seating die for 45/70?

three50seven
03-02-2017, 12:59 PM
I got a set of Hornady dies with my 45/70 Handi-Rifle. I've never been a fan of their dies, but these seem to work ok other than I am getting a slight ring around the ogive when seating. It's probably more cosmetic than anything, but it bothers me...What seating die is recommended for cast bullets in the 45/70? I'm assuming the RCBS Cowboy dies are the preferred choice?

Char-Gar
03-02-2017, 01:22 PM
I got a set of Hornady dies with my 45/70 Handi-Rifle. I've never been a fan of their dies, but these seem to work ok other than I am getting a slight ring around the ogive when seating. It's probably more cosmetic than anything, but it bothers me...What seating die is recommended for cast bullets in the 45/70? I'm assuming the RCBS Cowboy dies are the preferred choice?

Sounds like the shape of your bullet nose and the shape of the bullet seating plug are not friendly. This can be cured without the price of new dies. You can buy a extra Hornaday bullet seating stem an modify it for your bullet. Not a hard thing to do.

three50seven
03-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Sounds like the shape of your bullet nose and the shape of the bullet seating plug are not friendly. This can be cured without the price of new dies. You can buy a extra Hornaday bullet seating stem an modify it for your bullet. Not a hard thing to do.
What I'm loading is pretty standard, RNFP. Lee 457-340 and 457-405. Maybe Hornady has their seater plug designed for their rubber-tipped bullets 🙄

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Char-Gar
03-02-2017, 01:44 PM
What I'm loading is pretty standard, RNFP. Lee 457-340 and 457-405. Maybe Hornady has their seater plug designed for their rubber-tipped bullets 

More likely just a round nose plug. For any bullet with a flat on the nose, I use a dead flat seating plug. I take the plug and turn it dead flat in the lathe. These work with any bullet with any size flat/meplat.

three50seven
03-02-2017, 01:47 PM
That makes sense, and looks easy enough to do. I'll give it a try!

pjames32
03-02-2017, 01:47 PM
Like Char gar I use a flat plug for anything with a flat front. You can turn down a SWC plug on a lathe or file it if you don't have a lathe. Others use JB weld to fill a seater die or impress your bullet front into a seater die.