PDA

View Full Version : Been gone a while......

Ural Driver
03-01-2017, 07:26 PM
............but now I'm back. I am just about settled in the new house. Got my shop built but am still moving things from the old place. I'm trying to get organized but man!..... I did not know I had this much "stuff"..... Anyway, needed some steel for a project so off to my favorite scrap yard I went. While there I wandered over to the lead bins and found what I hope is a mini jackpot.......not as good as the linotype that I scored a while back but a nice find none the less. Six bars of what appear to be pure lead (they are soft enough that I can stand on one end and eventually bend them) They are 31 inches long 2 3/4 inches wide and 1 3/4 inches thick with each weighing 51-52 lbs. Never seen them in that configuration before but a friend says they resemble much larger versions of the bars he used when working as a plumbers helper many years ago. I was able to "straighten" the curves by dropping them on the concrete a couple of times.....they make a pretty good dull "thud" when they hit.....60 cents a pound.

Teddy (punchie)
03-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Sound soft and sound like a good find.

PaulG67
03-01-2017, 09:03 PM
seems like you got a bargain, good for you.

lightman
03-01-2017, 09:50 PM
Welcome Back! Nice score too!