PDA

View Full Version : Double shotgun regulating

bigted
03-01-2017, 07:00 PM
So been playing with this navy arms 12 gauge shotgun shooting patched balls thru it in hopes I can regulate the barrels a little closer.

She shoots em into 4 inches at 25 or so yds ... Maybe 30. The right barrel shoots very close to the sights but the left barrel shoots em left about 4 inches.

Wondering if I file the left side of the muzzle on the left barrel ... Will this make a patched ball go a bit to the right ... And in a repeatable effect?

RogerDat
03-01-2017, 07:13 PM
You sure you are not getting a parallax effect with the sight? Side by side guns your eye, the barrel, and the sight are not in a straight line. It may be that your eye to sight line is dead on for one barrel at that range but off by a touch for the other.

Not sure how to address but try moving your head on the stock just a touch, in the same direction you would if the site was in a notch to correct the miss to the side.

I recall this from an uncle who stopped using his side-by-side when he finally bought an over under, explained that the over under both barrels shot to point of site aim, side by side was harder to get proper site line and at different distances the angles would change because center site to aim point is always a triangle to the barrel.

GhostHawk
03-01-2017, 10:02 PM
With only that much difference I am not sure I would not just leave it and remember where it shoots.

Especially with the right one being close to right on. IMO that becomes your main barrel. Left one you just need to remember to correct a bit for it.

Col4570
03-02-2017, 03:07 AM
No Do,nt file any metal away.It works with Shot but you will upset the Guns accuracy with Ball.Those Barrels converge and should Shoot to the same point.I would Shoot it and allow for the difference.Never tried my Navy Arms with Ball but its good with Shot.

bigted
03-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. Won't file and will try at longer yards to see where it comes together.

I have superglued rifle sights on the center rib for now just to determine if the deveincy is more me. Never considered the parallax with the slimming barrels and the rib.

jaguarxk120
03-02-2017, 09:02 AM
The barrels should be regulated to shoot point on at 40 yards. To regulate bullet impact at that range or longer you will have to vary the powder loads or bullet weight. Note: shooting from a rest will change regulation and point of impact. The gun should be fire offhand if possible.

You said a Navy Arms double shotgun, is this a muzzle loading gun?

44man
03-02-2017, 10:01 AM
I never could shoot a side by side. As a kid I borrowed an Ithaca and shot at a rabbit sitting at 30 yards, first shot one side, second the other side. I never hit a bird.
Regulation is done at the factory with the ribs.

elk hunter
03-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately many of the less expensive doubles are not adjusted to place their patterns together at a certain spot. With shot if they are reasonably close they are good enough but in far too many cases they center their patterns too far apart to be effective even on birds. When trying to shoot slugs or round ball they may be many feet apart at 40 yards. I have a muzzle loader that when trying to shoot round ball the balls would cross by at least two feet at 30 yards. I've seen others where the barrels not only shot apart but to different elevations. Can a shotgun be regulated to shoot ball or slugs reasonably well? yes, but it means removing the ribs, which hold the barrels together in front of the breech, and truly regulating it like a rifle with wedges and then replacing the ribs. It is not a job for the impatient and does require some tools and a least some small amount of knowledge and skill. Here is a picture of the fixture I use to relay shotgun ribs and to regulate double rifle barrels. I can clamp and hold the barrels where they need to be and then position the ribs so they can be soldered.
I think the barrels in the fixture are for my 500-450 that I made a new set of barrels for.

bigted
03-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Yes it is a muzzleloader. Ton o fun to be sure.

Not sure but think pedrosoli or uberty made the navy arms weapons.

I will NOT be taking these barrels apart. Ill make a snazzy blanket gun outta it first.

jaguarxk120
03-02-2017, 08:25 PM
The gun was made by Davide-Petersoli and generally the guns they make are first rate.

When was your gun made? Does it have removable choke tubes or are the barrels choked? Lastly how much does it weigh?

I'm asking because I have one of the early guns made in the 70's. The barrels are browned and chrome lined, choke bored mod/full.
The gun weight comes in at 5 1/2 pounds in 12 gauge. The stock is real walnut and there is nothing I would change on the gun, it is outstanding just the way it is!