PDA

View Full Version : Another small score

lightman
02-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Just got back from the local tire shop after having my truck serviced and the tires rotated. The owner gave me a nearly full tire lube bucket, about 2 gallon, of weights. Just got through sorting them and was happy to see the lead yield is still holding up. I'm too lazy to weigh everything but I estimate more than 90% lead. Had about 18 composite weights, about 2 dozen steel split between clip-on and stick-on, maybe 8 zinc and only 5 strips of stick-on weights. These were mixed about 50/50 between the soft weights and the harder painted weights. A few lug nuts and valve stems. The only surprise was the low number of stick-ons. There were some small weights but overall it was a nice mix of larger weights.

A 2 gallon bucket is down from what you could get in the past but they are still out there. You just have to keep looking. It helps to be loyal when buying tires and having other work done. And persistent! I bought 2 sets of tires from this shop last year.

308Jeff
02-28-2017, 06:31 PM
That's a great percentage of lead.

Bookworm
02-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Wheel weights are still around, but it's getting much harder to get them. A 2 gallon bucket is a good score these days.