PDA

View Full Version : Remelting CB

hooverdm
07-04-2008, 09:48 PM
I was just given a number of boxes of cast bullets, the ones that I reload for, I'll keep, but I have quite a few odd calibers that I'd like to remelt and cast into a usable caliber for me. Question, what is the best way to clean off the old lube prior to adding to the melt pot? Or should I worry. If I start with a pot full of old cast bullets with lube, should I be concerned with a fire hazard or wiill I just get lots of smoke? Thanks

Dave H
San Antonio, TX

Old Ironsights
07-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Gotta flux the pot anyway... add 'em to hot melt.

Down South
07-04-2008, 10:06 PM
I remelt boolits all the time. The lube will burn off quick. You'll probably want to do it outside though.

docone31
07-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Lube is good flux.

Ben Dover
07-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Be sure anything you add into a hot mix has not picked up any moisture. I'd either pre-warm them or add them into a cold mix. Ben

Southern Son
07-04-2008, 11:00 PM
You will get smoke or flames, smoke if you put them in a cold pot and heat them to melting point, flames if you drop them in the molten metal. Just be outside or have good ventilation. And above all, make sure that they ain't carrying any H2O when they go into the molten lead.

runfiverun
07-05-2008, 01:50 AM
if they are cast commercial you will want to melt that hard lube off.
if you put a bunch in a pot they will melt and the wax will sit on top of the pot.
gets it nice and clean, but you have a thick layer of wax on top of the pot.
you can boil it off in a pot of water and scrape it off the top.

Ricochet
07-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Might be somebody on here who'd like those odd calibers if you put 'em in the trading section.

copdills
07-06-2008, 08:08 AM
I would just put them in the pot with lube on, but +1 on what Ricochet said

hooverdm
07-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Filled the pot then turned it on. As you all stated, smoked a lot, had some flame as new rounds were added, but all in all. Nothing spectacular. Old GCs floated to the top. Had a little black slick on top, but it scooped off also. Remaining metal looks nice and clean. Thanks for your advice.

Dave H
San Antonio, TX

Tom Herman
07-06-2008, 11:31 PM
If I start with a pot full of old cast bullets with lube, should I be concerned with a fire hazard or wiill I just get lots of smoke?

Hi Dave!

Don't worry about the lube. Just fire it up, and burn the stuff off. I have a gas torch, and use it to ignite the flux smoke. Otherwise, it might or might not catch fire.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom