PDA

View Full Version : ID needed- ML pistol barrels

rickw55
02-27-2017, 09:46 PM
I bought three of these muzzle-loading (percussion) pistol barrels at a gun show a while back. They have an odd breech plug, and it looks like they were designed to fit in to some sort of receiver. Does anyone recognize them? I'd like to know what pistol they were originally intended for.
Rick W

Col4570
03-01-2017, 04:16 AM
The two Step downs between Breach Plug and Barrel looks like they are unfinished.The drilled Hole on the Hook Breach would not leave much metal if squared off.Some filing and shaping would make them usable (after proofing with a heavier than service charge).The drum a Nipple should fit into a suitably prepared Percussion Lock.For your personal Safety check out the Threads on the Barrel,Plug and Drum and Nipple.It is a good idea to make the Drum Rest on the Lock Cut Out for added strength.

waksupi
03-01-2017, 12:21 PM
I personally would cut them off in front of the dovetail, and re-breech them.

bubba.50
03-01-2017, 04:21 PM
the threaded hole in the plug is likely to draw them into the stock of some type of target pistole.

rickw55
03-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I will definitely pull the breech plug and check the fit. If they use a standard thread, I may replace the breech plugs with a bolster/hooked breech plug.
I still wonder what pistol they were made for. It seems that it wouuld have a steel or brass receiver that the stub of the breech plug fitted into. But, I haven't seen anything like it.
Rick

dondiego
03-02-2017, 12:00 PM
It does slightly resemble a Hopkins & Allen underhammer breech plug which did fit into a receiver and was held in place with Allen screws. It is not an underhammer type nipple set up from the looks of the photo though. Definitely not an H&A Boot pistol.