PDA

View Full Version : Joy in an . . . 'Upside-down Sizing Press'

OS OK
02-27-2017, 08:29 PM
This is no new subject of sizing on an upside-down press but it's new to me. A friend gave me this RCBS Junior 2 press last week and I started thinking how I could mount it on this side of the loading table...here's where I clamp temporary things like the primer press or the brass trim setup.
So...I've got it clamped the only way I could to try it out, actually it's a bit too low so I want to figure a clean clamp on mount to fix that problem...but back to trying it...it is a joy to sit there with my left hand full of casts and rolling them around in my fingers and dropping them into the size die hole, it's just too quick and easy. Before I would grab them one at a time off the table and balance them on the little push spud up into the die...that does a number on my shoulder joint, actually gets really painful after a couple hundred, so doing 500 at a sit is a job of painful work!
Kerplunk-kerplunk-kerplunk...it's a joy to hear!

This part is the best yet...you see the hole that the lever is threaded into? It's already there on this press, you don't have to take it apart and switch anything around...whooada thunk?

Well, this gives me something to 'mull on' for a while...designing a nice steel mount...

sukivel
02-27-2017, 08:33 PM
I really need to try this with my sizing press...the Lee C press...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

rda72927
02-27-2017, 09:21 PM
An RCBS JR was my first press (bought used in a pawn shop). Still have it, but quit using it because I wore the ram to the point that it would the handle would always fall down. This give me an idea to use a press again that has great value to me.

GhostHawk
02-27-2017, 10:19 PM
It was at least 3 years ago, maybe a bit more. I was down in my reloading room. I had just bought a couple of used lee presses very reasonably. I was sizing and crimping gas checks and at least one out of 3 was falling off between my finger and the lee sizing die pusher.

Finally I flung the whole mess on the floor and came here to cast boolits to cool off.
Half an hour later I stumbled into a thread about someone who had turned his press upside down for sizing/gas checks.

The thought was the deed. Large screws found, space cleared, press mounted, screws torqured down, picked up my mess, reseated some gas checks with a flat surface and a rubber mallet. And proceeded to love my new upside down Lee classic C cast.

That press is still there. Since that day I do not mind sizing, in fact I enjoy it. I left my linkage upside down, muscle memory is great. You train your body with the first 10 and it remembers.

And gas checks, drop upside down into the hole, gravity holds it in place until the pusher gets there and shoves and crimps.

Painless.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

6bg6ga
03-02-2017, 07:21 AM
Now to run the thing standing on your head :D

jmorris
03-02-2017, 08:39 AM
whooada thunk?

Seems like the guy that designed it did.

OS OK
03-02-2017, 09:56 AM
jmorris...I looked up the manual on this press and they didn't mention why this second threaded hole is in the cam block.
Do you know why?
Possibly rearrange the block and then the lever pushes up with the ram?
It seems like there would be a purpose for it...threaded holes cost money.

JBinMN
03-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the idea! I think I will give it a try myself with my old SP3. I have about 4-500 rounds to size myself & this definitely seems like it would
be faster & easier than the "balance & center on the post" method.
:)

AR15-SBR
03-03-2017, 03:51 AM
I use the Lee "C" press mounted upside down to size and it works GREAT. I mount it to a short piece of 1x4 and clamp it to my coffee table. I can size 45 pounds of 45 caliber boolits while watching a college basketball game.

AR15-SBR

6bg6ga
03-03-2017, 07:56 AM
Pardon me but I cannot see what your sizing with the pictures posted. I can only guess what 9mm?

Is this so you can get rid of the so called Glock bulge? Is there a rod that goes inside the 9mm case to push the case thru the sizer? So, the case sits on the rod rim toward the die?

6bg6ga
03-03-2017, 07:57 AM
jmorris...I looked up the manual on this press and they didn't mention why this second threaded hole is in the cam block.
Do you know why?

Been a while since I owned an RCBS press like that little guy. If memory is correct one position is for longer rifle brass and the other for short pistol brass?

OS OK
03-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Pardon me but I cannot see what your sizing with the pictures posted. I can only guess what 9mm? <(.452")

Is this so you can get rid of the so called Glock bulge? Is there a rod that goes inside the 9mm case to push the case thru the sizer? So, the case sits on the rod rim toward the die?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882261/lee-bulge-buster-base-sizing-kit-380-auto-40-s-and-w-45-acp

This is the only answer I'm aware of regarding cases and fixing the ones that have been 'Glucked-up' . . . Maybe another mfgr. like NOE has what you need.

TexasGrunt
03-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Pardon me but I cannot see what your sizing with the pictures posted. I can only guess what 9mm?

Sizing boolits with a push through sizing die.

fourarmed
03-03-2017, 10:19 AM
The Lyman Spar-T presses have an extra threaded hole so the ram can operate on the upstroke. I have two of them set up that way for seating bullets. I also shortened and rethreaded the handles. They are very fast and convenient that way.

15meter
03-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Found this in YouTube, this may be the simplest solution for crunched fingers yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iHUDbC9hQk

Cut and paste in a new tab if clicking on it won't play it.
50 cent spring from the hardware store.
Simple, and if you don't have a press to turn upside down this does it. I have not tried it yet. I suspect different diameter springs based on what dia. bullet you are sizing.

OS OK
03-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Found this in YouTube, this may be the simplest solution for crunched fingers yet:

Cut and paste in a new tab if clicking on it won't play it.
50 cent spring from the hardware store.
Simple, and if you don't have a press to turn upside down this does it. I have not tried it yet. I suspect different diameter springs based on what dia. bullet you are sizing.

"OMG! How embarrassing!"

Be careful what you put on video...it'll always come back to bite your butt!
Thom Finks (old fart friend and brass-stuffer) and I were trying to make Lee aware of this little 'brain fart' but Lee is not the easiest people to work with about things of this nature.
They had some incoming size restriction on video attached to E-Mail so we had to fit all that into a very short clip...and, after all the effort? Lee never said thanks, kiss our butt or anything else. It sorta left me with a sour taste in my mouth for the idgits I had to deal with.

Budzilla 19
03-03-2017, 10:54 AM
I've done the spring thing, it definitely works, and is fast! But, I like the upside down press also. Somewhere in the YouTube land is a video of a reloader using an upside down press with a homemade bullet feeder type of arrangements. Looked like a piece of pvc pipe lined up at the entrance to the sizing die. Cycle the handle, while cycling handle, drop next boolit in the pipe, and when the ram clears it, it drops in place! Repeat. Pretty cool idea!

OS OK
03-03-2017, 11:32 AM
I think it's the Australian fella (member here) who does the coatings on Pb boolits...he developed the first automated 'upside down' sizer that I can remember...

Aaaah, found one of his videos...

Bullet Sizer: Grem460 AS/2 HOG machine - YouTube (http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO8yM9jLlYBDsA7LlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByYnR1Zmd 1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1488583870/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3d87W _NsIuXCk/RK=0/RS=Fg9l.rq6bkruXWQWUd_hI0Rzzqo-)

VHoward
03-03-2017, 11:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg
JMorris also did one a couple of years ago.

OS OK
03-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Is there anything under the sun that JMorris hasn't invented or done better?

I think he could re-invent brain surgery!

EDG
03-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Nearly all the old presses of the 1960s with that configuration linkage could be set to work on the upstroke.
I had an old Bair C press that was a copy of a Pacific that did the same thing. Before hand priming tools became available everyone had to prime on the press.
Guess what? Priming on the press was much better with the linkage reversed because the primer was actually pressed into the case on the down stroke of the handle.
This meant you were not trying to lift your work bench off of the floor and you could just lean on the handle a little to press in the primers.

There were some bullet swaging tools that were supposed to work with the reversed linkage but I never owned or saw any out side of a magazine.
The very early RCBS A press linkage only worked on the upstroke from what I remember. The A2 linkage can be set either way to work on the up or down stroke.

Ancient Pacific press with upstroke linkage

Do you know why?

OS OK
03-04-2017, 08:11 AM
^^^ . . . I like your press. After so many years of pulling down on the handle, I wonder if my brain would flip-flop?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

OK, back to mullin on the press mount...
I had it all figured out with a materials list in hand when I walked into the welding shop in Auburn but...when I got back to the scrap corner everything came to a halt...

I spied this 6" X 6" X 1/4" square tube about a foot long...all of the sudden I get this vision and see it as a press mount that wouldn't require any welding. Uh oh...there goes all that mullin I've been doing!

Next thing was to get an expert fabricator (and his plasma cutter) to cut this vision out of the tube...This is my pard Sam Houston, another 'brass stuffer'...steady hands at work here...

After the cut-out Sam broke out a variable speed 4" grinder with a 80 grit flap sander disc and proceeded to clean it up for a paint job.
Here it is temporarily mated with the press...just to see if it'll work...yeppers!

After Sam and I admired his handiwork and finished off a 12 pack of cold beer I moseyed off through the woods to my house to see if this new creation was actually going to work on my bench...

This looks about right for where I want to put it so later this morning I'll have to get her all primed and painted up red to match the other mounting hardware...move a few things around and get some lag bolts ready...

I almost want to buff it up a little more and go after it with some Lacquer.

15meter
03-04-2017, 06:26 PM
"OMG! How embarrassing!"

Thom Finks (old fart friend and brass-stuffer) and I were trying to make Lee aware of this little 'brain fart' but Lee is not the easiest people to work with about things of this nature.
They had some incoming size restriction on video attached to E-Mail so we had to fit all that into a very short clip...and, after all the effort? Lee never said thanks, kiss our butt or anything else. It sorta left me with a sour taste in my mouth for the idgits I had to deal with.

Dealing with Lee is kind of like dealing with the government, I bought an Lee 8mm die set from them, it has a big burr hanging inside where the vent hole is. I wrote an email explaining that the die was defective and explaining that the burr was large enough to see with your eye. They sent me back an email lecturing me on lube dents in the shoulder. I responded that I absolutely understood what lube dents were and I would not have wasted their time. Then they emailed back asking for photos--you ever try taking photos of a scratch on a well polished case? Emailed back that that photos wouldn't work. They responded back that I should send the die, 1 scratched case and 1 unsized case so they could try it. I responded that by time I boxed it up paid the postage back and wasted my time to go the post office I would be further ahead buying one from someone else. They responded with a request for 2 scratched cases, 2 unsized cases and the die. I resent my email with the comment that I would be further ahead to buy someone else's die and that after 40 years of reloading I had never been treated like that by any other mfg. Haven't heard back from them. With Lee you get what you pay for. And this is not the first time of no response/run around.

15meter
03-04-2017, 06:39 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882261/lee-bulge-buster-base-sizing-kit-380-auto-40-s-and-w-45-acp

This is the only answer I'm aware of regarding cases and fixing the ones that have been 'Glucked-up' . . . Maybe another mfgr. like NOE has what you need.

Try this from Redding: G-RX Base Sizing Die Kit

Pricier that Lee but Redding is always first rate quality in my experience.

Budzilla 19
03-04-2017, 06:45 PM
OS OK, that is a heck of an idea! I will make one now! Thanks for the pictures. It amazes me the stuff I learn here!

kmrra
03-04-2017, 06:51 PM
"OMG! How embarrassing!"

They had some incoming size restriction on video attached to E-Mail so we had to fit all that into a very short clip...and, after all the effort? Lee never said thanks, kiss our butt or anything else. It sorta left me with a sour taste in my mouth for the idgits I had to deal with.Well I will thank ya , that is a great Idea , now off to the hardware store to get an assortment of springs, tell Fink thanks too.this forum is full of interesting and good ideas.

OS OK
03-04-2017, 07:08 PM
That's a wrap...paint is on and dry...lags are in the table...I ran some .452" SWC-HP's and it's comfortable to use and easy to feed. This is going to cut my time at sizing considerably. I'm not sure yet how to feel about a press upside down at the table but that's the way it's got to be...

I screwed on a rail under the table edge to hang this Acro bin on to catch the boolits coming out of the sizer...they only fall about 6" so I hope that won't be an issue with dinged casts.

Sorry for the sideways picture...this software we use aggravates me sometimes! I give up...it wants the dang pictures sideways so that's the way they are going to go!

kmrra
03-04-2017, 07:28 PM
you got a lazy susan on that table

HangFireW8
03-04-2017, 07:55 PM
Dealing with Lee is kind of like dealing with the government, I bought an Lee 8mm die set from them, it has a big burr hanging inside where the vent hole is. I wrote an email explaining that the die was defective and explaining that the burr was large enough to see with your eye. They sent me back an email lecturing me on lube dents in the shoulder. I responded that I absolutely understood what lube dents were and I would not have wasted their time. Then they emailed back asking for photos--you ever try taking photos of a scratch on a well polished case? Emailed back that that photos wouldn't work. They responded back that I should send the die, 1 scratched case and 1 unsized case so they could try it. I responded that by time I boxed it up paid the postage back and wasted my time to go the post office I would be further ahead buying one from someone else. They responded with a request for 2 scratched cases, 2 unsized cases and the die. I resent my email with the comment that I would be further ahead to buy someone else's die and that after 40 years of reloading I had never been treated like that by any other mfg. Haven't heard back from them. With Lee you get what you pay for. And this is not the first time of no response/run around.
I've noticed that those who wish to deal with Lee on their owns terms have the least luck with Lee.

I never call, email or just write. I return the die or mold with a short clear explanation and a sample case or boolit. This has never failed in getting me back a new or repaired item.

Those who take the "I have XX years of reloading experience so send me new stuff and treat me like you are RCBS" never get anywhere with Lee... even if they are 100% right. Their refusal to take any other approach has clogged many a forum with their complaints.

In the customer service world there are expressions for customers like this, none of them complimentary. They have to have their BJ, uh, their customer service THEIR WAY or Lee is a BAD COMPANY.

Lee is cheap. Lee has 0% replacement rate without a return first. Deal with it or go elsewhere, and leave it at that. Complain about that? Zero sympathy from me. Pay more to somebody else.

-HF

VHoward
03-04-2017, 08:18 PM
It's weird how a thread can morph into a "let's bash Lee" thread and then into a "let's bash the bashers" thread.

bedbugbilly
03-04-2017, 08:24 PM
I haven't read through all the posts here but I have a couple of Jr3s and a Jr2. I believe the pivot block has two holes in it so that it can be reversed to change the arbor raising up by either pulling down on the lever or pushing up.

I love those little presses and they sure come in handy. Pretty neat set up the OP has!

EDG
03-05-2017, 01:16 AM
That is definitely NOT true.
I had a broken Ergo Prime. In this case the lip that held the shell holder broke just like the first die casting supplied on the Auto Prime.
I only needed the die cast shell and they send me a complete new assy in the box without the return of the old Ergo Prime.
I have also written them letters describing a problem before the net and before digital photography and they sent me new parts at no charge.
So far Lee has done well with customer service for me. I know they do have some problems and they are Lee problems not mine. The 7.5X54 French MAS dies sold by Lee are engineered all wrong. You can pay less for Lee and get worthless dies in that caliber.

Lee is cheap. Lee has 0% replacement rate without a return first. Deal with it or go elsewhere, and leave it at that. Complain about that? Zero sympathy from me. Pay more to somebody else.

-HF

OS OK
03-05-2017, 09:06 AM
ok . . . To heck with this thread...from here on out...it's . . . "lets all kick . . . L e e . . . In the nutz!"

on the next page we can kick the kickers and maybe throw in another brand to 'nutstomp'...have at it morons.

6bg6ga
03-05-2017, 09:31 AM
So why not incorporate a air cylinder to the RCBS press?

GhostHawk
03-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Not a Lee basher here. Without Lee I would not be reloading, or casting, or shooting.

If you don't like them, buy something else and pay 2 to 5 times more for it. Your choice, no bashing required.

In my experience 80% of all problems with Lee gear are direct result of the User not knowing what he is doing. Myself included. YMMV

OS OK
03-05-2017, 11:28 AM
So why not incorporate a air cylinder to the RCBS press?

I'm going to stick with this 'manual version' . . . I'll leave the 'auto sizers' up to fellas more qualified than me...people like Jmorris.

r1kk1
03-05-2017, 11:35 AM
OSOK is the table top a lazy Susan? I too wonder if it turns.

take care

r1kk1

OS OK
03-05-2017, 11:57 AM
OSOK is the table top a lazy Susan? I too wonder if it turns.

take care

r1kk1

No...actually I never thought about something like that. I have to move around the table.

The center pole is a separate stand that the yellow shelf is connected to, it's not touching the press table. My digital scale use to have a fit when it was on the table because of vibration. That shelf moves up and down and will turn to face any of the presses I'm working at.

It's handy to verify throws on the LnL quickly but it excels at the Rock Chucker where the RCBS auto powder throw makes up a load for rifle rounds...I run it a bit short and trickle up to my set point.

JBinMN
03-05-2017, 12:39 PM
I am planning to try to get a fella I know, to make up one of these mounts you showed in the Pics, OS OK.
I like the idea & although I only have just the one old RCBS S3, I would like the option of being able to reverse it.
What would even be better is a mount with a swivel, like my old vice has, so I can just swivel it one way for one thing & then swivel the other way for another.

Thanks for showing an option that was right in front of most of us, but not considered by many & to actually do it like you did.

Very cool!

OS OK
03-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Your vise idea is brilliant...or even a mount that the press could be pulled/slid out of and turned over and re-clamped for use. That doesn't sound very hard and it's a great 'minimalist' way to stay efficient in the press room...some fellas don't have 30' of bench space to devote to presses.

You ought to start a thread on this idea and see what others can come up with...you may have started something here! No kidding!

I'm already thinking of something like a trailer hitch receiver modified...?

JBinMN
03-05-2017, 01:22 PM
I am not yet comfortable enough here to start a topic. I would prefer if you did it, or let it be continued here. I actually like your "trailer hitch mod" idea better than the swivel one, since it accomplishes the same thing with being able to reverse position & there are less/no moving parts to give someone any grief. Either would work, but I think the swivel would also be more expensive.

Your idea is bearing fruit it seems. I also think that is cool!

OS OK
03-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Your welcome to promote the idea right here...I'm as far as I can go with this thread. Upside down presses are pretty much old hat now since they were originally being turned on their heads.
People can suggest their ideas about it...possibly, it's already done.
There are lots of fellas here who try to get the most bang for their buck and a press mount like your idea might be revolutionary.

It would prolly get a bit more traction in it's own thread though because the thread 'title' is what attracts the forum members to come in and investigate the contents.

A successful and original idea like yours can go a long ways...for days or weeks...some of the silly threads here have been running I guess years.

15meter
03-06-2017, 10:30 AM
I've noticed that those who wish to deal with Lee on their owns terms have the least luck with Lee.

I never call, email or just write. I return the die or mold with a short clear explanation and a sample case or boolit. This has never failed in getting me back a new or repaired item.

Those who take the "I have XX years of reloading experience so send me new stuff and treat me like you are RCBS" never get anywhere with Lee... even if they are 100% right. Their refusal to take any other approach has clogged many a forum with their complaints.

In the customer service world there are expressions for customers like this, none of them complimentary. They have to have their BJ, uh, their customer service THEIR WAY or Lee is a BAD COMPANY.

-HF

I rarely buy lee just because of quality. If you had read the initial email response from lee you perhaps would understand that they never read or comprehended my email explaining the problem. It was a rather arrogant response to a customers concern. I worked in sales for decades and yes I had jerk customers, I never ever talked down to them as if they were morons. I left one of my last sales jobs because the corporate attitude that was all the customers were idiots and didn't have a clue on how to use the equipment we sold. This equipment started at $60,000 and escalated rapidly in price. The tool and die shops buying this equipment weren't idiots. I did not treat my customers like idiots, I don't expect condescension from the people I deal with.

As for dealing with them on my own terms, I used their website and their computer form to initiate the first request for assistance with my problem. Their response was far less than I would have expected.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-06-2017, 10:55 AM
I am planning to try to get a fella I know, to make up one of these mounts you showed in the Pics, OS OK.
I like the idea & although I only have just the one old RCBS S3, I would like the option of being able to reverse it.
What would even be better is a mount with a swivel, like my old vice has, so I can just swivel it one way for one thing & then swivel the other way for another.

Thanks for showing an option that was right in front of most of us, but not considered by many & to actually do it like you did.

Very cool!

Your vise idea is brilliant...or even a mount that the press could be pulled/slid out of and turned over and re-clamped for use. That doesn't sound very hard and it's a great 'minimalist' way to stay efficient in the press room...some fellas don't have 30' of bench space to devote to presses.

You ought to start a thread on this idea and see what others can come up with...you may have started something here! No kidding!

I'm already thinking of something like a trailer hitch receiver modified...?

I made permanent (bolted on) upside-down bracket for the Lee classic cast press. That Lee press is a natural for mounting up-side-down, due to the handle design, which is reversible (left to right), as well as, 360º adjustment. Which allows the handle to be adjusted to the most ergonomic for the application.

With all that said, I'm liking both the receiver hitch idea (for portability and swap-ability, best use of bench space)...and a swivel, like on a vise. I think both could be incorporated into a mount design...while it's not popping into my head at the moment, many things take time...or the correct inspiration, like OS OK had when he seen the piece of 6x6 steel tube.

This is the mount I made, shown sizing some 5.7x28 cases for use as jackets, for swaging 30 cal projectiles.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1392-1.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/100_1392-1.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1393-1.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/100_1393-1.jpg.html)

OS OK
03-06-2017, 11:47 AM
This is pretty much what I was looking at in my mind...My concern was to have the press flip over and have the 'working plane' <(either shell plate or the die entrance hole) at the bench height.
The most important part next is the ability to adjust that handle to make the pull come down to operate the press...I can't think of a better way than the Lee adjustment to anywhere you desire.

You'll need strong thumb screws or perhaps regular bolts there to take the slop out of the receiver and keep the press rock solid.

This is just a spit wad using parts I know are availlable...like the angle iron. If your serious I'd do a scale drawing or at least a physical layout on the floor of the garager in chalk so there won't be any surprises...every project takes a little coaxing here and there.

Nice work on your press mount JonB.

JBinMN
03-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Great "spitwad", although it is a great looking pic of a setup & I think it would be better used as a preliminary drawing for someone to make a more precise one! LOL :)

You have covered both Zero(0) & 180 degrees with an option for 90 & 270 also. This is why I think a swivel might not be needed, since at present with the "trailer hitch rec'r" setup , you have covered any reasons to turn the press, other than minor adjustment for individuals comfort in applying force to a press using a vice like swivel, might be nice for some. If one could set it at , let's say, 120 deg., it might allow for the bullets to fall into a container, rather than ones hand. ( other than like the Lee one, which would fall off if not modified)
So, that might be a "step up" feature for some, over and above a 4 position (90 deg.ea.) setup.

Interesting & fun to consider. I have not yet finalized my decision on what I plan to do in regard to this , but pondering the options is fun.

I was thinking about it last night that my old RCBS S3 handle is one where it can be flipped 180 just by removind the lock nut . I will check later to see, but that would be nice anyway. ;)

Thanks for sharing your ideas, projects & pics + "spitwad", JonB & OS OK! LOL

JBinMN
05-04-2017, 06:32 AM
I finally got around to talking to that feller, Dave M. about this. I drew up a simple rough drawing & explained it to him. While we were talking about how much it would cost, he asked me if there was any reason why I wouldn't just use round pipes rather than square tubing & I said I guess it would not matter. Dave said well that would help with the "swiveling" part if I ever needed it. And he said he would do it for free if it was pipe, since he thought he had some around that would work, otherwise he would have to likely buy the square stock & charge me for it. I like "Free" in this case. LOL ;)

Anyway, It is not a priority job for him, but I hope I will have some pics to share in the next week or so. At least, I will find out if using pipe will be just as good or better than the square stock. Now, I have to ponder not only the drilling holes at certain points for lock nuts/thumb screws like was shown in OS OKs drawing above, but what color to paint it. I am gonna mount a lee press to it, so it will likely be red... LOL

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-04-2017, 09:53 AM
SNIP...
he asked me if there was any reason why I wouldn't just use round pipes rather than square tubing & I said I guess it would not matter.
I can't speak for OS OK, but the genius of his design, IMHO, is if you are able to scrounge a old receiver hitch and a receiver ball mount with correct drop. The rest of the mods/fabricating would be easy.

or if you are unable to scrounge and have limited welding skills, you could just buy these from Harbor Freight for about $20 each.

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/70x70/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13320.jpg

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/70x70/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_21337.jpg

OS OK
05-04-2017, 11:28 AM
When I am in the welding and fabrication mode in the shop I have a mental problem with cutting a piece of long stock just to fabricate a small bracket. Years ago I started saving all the little cuts off the ends of my stock for this reason...BUT...if you don't keep them out of the weather they turn into a rust bucket so it's sometimes self defeating.
Here in Auburn we have a fab. shop that saves all their cuts too for the same reason...they have them thrown into a corner of the building and allow me to take what I want and purchase them by the pound @ scrap prices...that has made my life easy.

Check with a commercial fab shop in your area and see if they don't do the same thing...some shops don't want anyone in the production area but in this shop here are a bunch of country boys who enjoy the distractions of people like me...they always ask..."Whatcha building now Charlie?" They, well, one of them is into handloading too...he got a kick out of me wanting to mount a press upside down.

I went in with a list of scrap I wanted for the press mount...one of the fellas was pulling stock to start cutting when I spied the piece of tubing and said, "Hold it, I just got a vision!" . . . he said, "What?" The rest of the story is history now, that is the press mount I made from this 'vision'!
Funny how these things turn out when you go to do one thing and end up doing another!

JBinMN
05-04-2017, 12:02 PM
I can see how the "receiver" square type is perhaps easier, bit I was thinking not only is the pipe free, but that in using it, I can try it out & see if I can figure out the "swivel lock" (like vice) type of setup too.
Thanks though to both of ya.

If the pipe doesn't work out, then I will see about trying the square rec. style.

OS OK
05-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Either way will work...the thing to pay close attention to is this...lay the press on the garage floor, use a carpenters square and chalk.
You need to figure how long the offset angle bracket/press mount must be to have the press line up exactly when flipped over. You want the shell holder to be at the same elevation as the entrance to the size die, when you flip the press nothing changes on your working plane.

JBinMN
05-04-2017, 12:22 PM
Either way will work...the thing to pay close attention to is this...lay the press on the garage floor, use a carpenters square and chalk.
You need to figure how long the offset angle bracket/press mount must be to have the press line up exactly when flipped over. You want the shell holder to be at the same elevation as the entrance to the size die, when you flip the press nothing changes on your working plane.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

Although a minor change would not be too awful, I would hate to have one setting be too low, or too high from where I am loading, since I am sitting most of the time. I would not want to have to stand up but then have to lean over to work, nor when seated, be leaning over to work either.

Thanks for the tip.

308Jeff
05-04-2017, 12:22 PM
I'm gonna try mounting my press sideways. Figure if I push it through hard/fast enough, I can get some preliminary trajectory data before I even load the bullets up.

What do you think?

JBinMN
05-04-2017, 12:25 PM
I'm gonna try mounting my press sideways. Figure if I push it through hard/fast enough, I can get some preliminary trajectory data before I even load the bullets up.

What do you think?

LOL

Why not? Be sure to post up your results though... Ok?
;)

OS OK
05-04-2017, 12:27 PM
You better eat your 'Wheaties' first and don't forget to set up the chrony...hmmmm? You may have some ventilation holes in the side of the shop too!

308Jeff
05-04-2017, 02:00 PM
I'll post my results for sure.

The chrony is a great idea. Most of the ballistics calculators don't go below 500fps, so I know I'll be providing new and exciting data.

Probably going to set up a bucket and play bullet pong, too. Cheap indoor shooting, no hearing protection needed, fun for the whole family.

OS OK
05-04-2017, 02:11 PM
I just had an epiphany Jeff..."You are going to be the first guy in the world to shoot your chrony with a sizing press!"

Does that make me a prophet if it happens?

308Jeff
05-04-2017, 02:28 PM
I believe it does, but I'm not an expert on such matters.

ACrowe25
05-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Well, I know what project I'm working on this weekend! Thanks for the pics guys.

OS OK
05-04-2017, 05:04 PM
I use a custom made press for sizing my powder coated bullets. Mine was made by a good friend who does aluminum castings as a hobby. He's also a top notch machinist.

I use a snug fitting length of rubber hose over the Lee die body and run it to the floor, into a bucket. Then...start chunking away. It beats the snot outta trying to mount a conventional press upside down.

Geee...that makes more sense than anything I've seen yet for a manual operation...one of a kind! Outstanding!

MostlyOnThePaper
05-04-2017, 08:02 PM
I think it's actually something like ten of a kind.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jailer
05-04-2017, 08:12 PM
I'm starting to feel left out now........

Why oh why can't I have a cool custom sizing press........

JBinMN
05-04-2017, 08:19 PM
I'll post my results for sure.

The chrony is a great idea. Most of the ballistics calculators don't go below 500fps, so I know I'll be providing new and exciting data.

Probably going to set up a bucket and play bullet pong, too. Cheap indoor shooting, no hearing protection needed, fun for the whole family.

OK, I am gonna hold ya to it.. If beer or cocktails are involved ...please take pics or video.

;)

Anyway...I still want the details when it happens. Don't be a slacker or selfish & keep things to yourself.
LOL
;)

-----------------------------

I use a custom made press for sizing my powder coated bullets. Mine was made by a good friend who does aluminum castings as a hobby. He's also a top notch machinist.

I use a snug fitting length of rubber hose over the Lee die body and run it to the floor, into a bucket. Then...start chunking away. It beats the snot outta trying to mount a conventional press upside down.

LOL Well, that is mighty fine for You...
:D
Not everyone has a friend who does aluminum castings as a hobby & is a fine machinist too..

You're a lucky feller..
LOL
;)

Jack Stanley
05-04-2017, 09:26 PM
I'm starting to feel left out now........

Why oh why can't I have a cool custom sizing press........
Don't feel like the black sheep of the family , with all that overtime you get you could buy ten of them :p

Jack

jaysouth
05-04-2017, 09:42 PM
No Angel

How much would one of those cool looking sizing presses cost? where ever could you get one? i tried Google, but my google-fu is weak. From the photo, it look better than the stuff Lee and Lyman are shipping these days.

Do they come in UT Orange?

JBinMN
05-04-2017, 10:14 PM
No Angel

How much would one of those cool looking sizing presses cost? where ever could you get one? i tried Google, but my google-fu is weak. From the photo, it look better than the stuff Lee and Lyman are shipping these days.

Do they come in UT Orange?

He already said where to get one... LOL
;)

Ya have to "have a neighbor who is into casting aluminum as a hobby & is a top notch machinist" too.

Oh yeah, Color is optional, I'd bet. Just like the purple fonts.
;)
LOL

OS OK
05-04-2017, 10:35 PM
Lee should offer a press like this.

JBinMN
05-04-2017, 10:50 PM
Lee should offer a press like this.

I agree, but until then... Lets have fun trying out our own doins, right?

Unless ya have a neighbor..... LOL
;)

I am going back to talk to Dave( the Guy who is NOT my neighbor & who does not cast aluminum, nor does top notch machine work, but works for beer & a joke or two) about that design with the position of the Lee press to see what he thinks he can do tomorrow and I will post up what I find out.
Those who already have an upside down press or a neighbor that can make one for them, are welcome to join in on how to make things better when doing it as a DIY project.

Hows about that?
;)

--------------------
ETA: perhaps some may not have noticed, but I sometimes have a strange sense of humor... I liken someone coming in to tell folks what they have, & how good what they have is, as compared the to other folks, while the other folks are in a conversation trying to work something out for themselves. Then the person telling about how they have it so good, offers NOTHING to add to the conversation, but to seem to gloat over THEIR situation...
I find that humorous now, more than irritated by it. I am "playing nice" in my attempts at humorous quips about "neighbors".
In person, I would prolly say , something like, Why don't ya Shut the F up & go away!", but of course in a nice place like this, that would be unacceptable.... so I won't do it.
I will just say, " If ya have a neighbor...." Smile or wink, & try to leave it at that..
:bigsmyl2:

OS OK
05-04-2017, 11:00 PM
JB...you must be reading my mind over there...I've already been spitwadding/mulling how I could make one out of steel...getting the shell plate holder milled into the ram is kinda tripping me a bit.
That press is the height of simplicity.

JBinMN
05-04-2017, 11:08 PM
JB...you must be reading my mind over there...I've already been spitwadding/mulling how I could make one out of steel...getting the shell plate holder milled into the ram is kinda tripping me a bit.
That press is the height of simplicity.

I like trying to do things & in the same way as going on a nature walk, I like to enjoy the trip as much as the destination. Some folks just want to get somewhere & the trip be dammned. They miss the stuff in between & what can be learned from the "doins" of something.

It is a nice press. I agree. But it doesn't help anyone by just showing it & saying ya have one without any details to help in the quest to make one... Unless ya have a neighbor...
;)

I am a different sort of "dog", I guess... Thinking that a way..
{ Some folks would say, ^ "cat", instead of 'Dog", but I am allergic to cats & actually really dislike them anyhow & am a "dog guy". So , I use Dog instead of cat. LOL :-) Sometimes I crack myself up... ;) }

I should go hit the rack, before I laff myself to death.
;)

FrankG
05-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Hes a few states away kind of neighbor .:kidding:

"Unless ya have a neighbor..... LOL"

NoAngel
05-04-2017, 11:34 PM
Would 2,000 miles still be considered neighborly? ...no I guess not. I would certainly 'Flinch' at the idea of having to drive that far.

MostlyOnThePaper
05-05-2017, 06:47 AM
Would 2,000 miles still be considered neighborly? ...no I guess not. I would certainly 'Flinch' at the idea of having to drive that far.
Ha

JBinMN
05-05-2017, 07:37 AM
I was pondering on this & here is how I see it...

If a few fellers were discussing how to make up a load for a cast bullet, trying to decide how to go about it, and someone comes in & tells them they already have a load like that, shows us a picture of it, and tells us a good friend made up the load for them & why waste time on working up the load.
What would you think?

And it doesn't matter whether the "good friend", that made up the load is 2000 miles away, or a neighbor across a street. And it doesn't matter if the load works perfect for YOU or not, it doesn't help out the ones who are trying to work up their own load.

Showing the folks trying to work up the load a pic of Your load, & telling them something like, " It beats the snot outta trying to work up a load for that firearm...",{ or as it was really said, "mount a conventional press upside down."), isn't at all helpful.

Maybe showing the load & saying, " My good friend( or neighbor) worked up this load for me that does just about what you want, & would ya like to get a hold of my good friend for assistance, or can I give ya some hints on what "we" came up with?", Or maybe even, "Hey, I know a guy who might help out with getting ya what ya want."

But, no... All I see is someone who wants to gloat over what they have & not be of any use to the topic except draw attention to what they have & others don't have. Who does that help?

Here is a compliment for ya, even though I already said it once before...:

You have a nice press there. And a good friend that made it FOR ya...

Now I am moving on... I have better things to do...
-------------------------------
For any who still might be interested...

I am still going to go see Dave today if I can, and hopefully I will have some pics to show soon of what was done to make a press that can not only work right side up & do ALL of the reloading steps & not just some of them, but can also be turned upside down do try to do things in a more convenient way in that position & have the option do do it either way, rather than a press that is limited to only one or some tasks in one direction. {Making one tool do things in multiple positions, rather than 2 tools in different positions limited to what they can do. Try to load a cast bullet into a press set up upside down is not gonna be easy as the powder may not cooperate when gravity takes effect... unless of course ya want to add a filler wad like dacron to hold it in., but that adds an extra step.} I am gonna try to make something more versatile, since OS OK got me started on this lil project, I plan to finish it, regardless of what other folks & their good friends do.
;)

Have a great day!

frkelly74
05-05-2017, 08:07 AM
Do you know why?

The extra threaded hole in your linkage is so that you can reverse the linkage and have the power stroke be an upstroke rather than a down stroke. The handle, at rest with the ram down, will be hanging straight down. Swing the handle up and the ram comes up. I have mine set this way and use it to bell and prime brass. Raise the handle, bell the case, lower the handle with a primer in the primer arm, pushed in , and prime on the down stroke. It works well for me.

ulav8r
05-05-2017, 10:58 PM
An aluminum casting should work fine, as that green one implies.

A few years ago I made a ram extension after grinding a lathe tool to make the recess to take a standard shell holder. Don't know where it is now.

The easy way to come up with a ram is to get a replacement ram for a commercial press, such as a Lee, Lyman, RCBS, or whatever you can find. The body could be a weldment of plate and barstock. I would start with barstock with a hole drilled about 1/8" undersize for the ram. Use another piece of barstock to hold the holes in line while tack welding them in place. Then remove it and linebore the holes to size and alignment on the lathe. The lineboring would be the same for a casting as a weldment.

OS OK
05-05-2017, 11:17 PM
You are pretty much describing my thoughts for the press body, the line boring I hadn't thought of...I was stuck trying to figure a way to tack it all up without distorting it too badly. Buying the ram...duhhh! At times the obvious sneaks right by me!
I keep having the thought that there is a press out there somewhere that could be remodeled very easily...I dunnoh, it doesn't really matter cause I have so much to do around here this summer I ain't got time to pick my nose or build another upside down press.

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-06-2017, 09:37 AM
you guys are hilarious

jaysouth
05-06-2017, 09:49 AM
Mr. Flinchbaugh
I understand you have a special relationship with the guy who makes these sizing presses. Could one be had with a St.Louis Cardinal logo.

If you have the developer send me a free one, a friend and I can automate the thing with a couple of eccentric cams and a vacuum cleaner motor. We would give him the drawings and patent rights in return.

Hmmm............with the right extrusion die, we could make pasta or stuff sausage with the automated version.

winchester 71
05-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Look on the bench in the first photo!!!!!!!!!! see the red Lee die container??????? it is for catching bullets being pushed through the sizer die............it works without this upside down contortionist **** of a upside down press and a bullet catcher on a chair.........Re-inventing the wheel can make people fools.............

MostlyOnThePaper
05-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Look on the bench in the first photo!!!!!!!!!! see the red Lee die container??????? it is for catching bullets being pushed through the sizer die............it works without this upside down contortionist **** of a upside down press and a bullet catcher on a chair.........Re-inventing the wheel can make people fools.............
Yes, and everybody loves it when that last bullet pushes it up off the sizing die and dumps bullets everywhere. Just because YOU see no need to improve the process doesn't mean the process doesn't have elements that need improvement.
With this other arrangement you can size a lot more bullets without having to empty the bullet cup.

GhostHawk
05-17-2017, 09:09 PM
What you said is true winchester, but it is not the whole truth.

The real difference is simple. If the press is right side up, you have to balance the boolit with gas check in place on the shaft that slips into the shell holder. If you are doing many of these you will discover that a percentage of the gas checks will fall off, become cocked, or otherwise screw up in the process. Taller bullets are worse than short and chunky.

With an upside down press "Gravity" holds the gas check in place throughout. No falling off, no sliding cockied, no issues, no problems.

You are not seeing the bigger picture. Probably because you never tried it.
I tried it, I have 3 presses, and from the day I tried it, one has always been mounted upside down. ALL my sizing happens on that press. It is not about juggling bullet catchers, it is all about the gas checks. And once you have tried a system that works better, you'll never go back to the old way.

Inverted press = gas checks faster, smoother, fewer hiccups, fewer problems, less frustration.

Dead simple really. But until you try it for yourself, most people won't understand.

psweigle
05-17-2017, 09:10 PM
What about bolting an old Lyman acculine upside down?

MostlyOnThePaper
05-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Horse and buggies are adequate! They will NEVER be replaced by these new fangled automobiles.

BrutalAB
05-20-2017, 07:03 AM
This thread is the reason I tried the upside down method. Glad I did.
I had no problem doing things the "normal" way. No problem balancing boolits on the post. I don't do enough gas checked boolits for this to be necessary.
I did have the problem of the red cup popping open mid batch. Small problem to me, just keep emptying the catch before it gets halfway full. But this takes time.

That being said, upside down makes everything easier and faster. It just is, plain and simple. For me it comes to sitting the boolit base down on a post if exact same diameter vs sitting the boolit in the groove nose down. The latter is just a superior method.

Recommend this be a sticky. Because before I do something crazy like mounting a press upside down I like to read what many others have experienced and this thread has it.

NoAngel
05-20-2017, 03:10 PM
If you go to Autozone get you some 3/4" ID heater hose, it slips over Lee sizing dies real nice. Tight enough to stay put but no clamp needed. Run it into a catch pan and you're good to go!

Some of ya'll already knew that. Some might not. Just thought I'd toss that out there.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/IMG_1350_zpsusrnjyyu.jpg

Walter Laich
05-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Yes, and everybody loves it when that last bullet pushes it up off the sizing die and dumps bullets everywhere.

I got this idea from someone here on this form: just put a rubber band from top to bottom on the red plastic cylinder. It will move up a bit when your bullets start to push the top up but will keep the top on.

OS OK
05-21-2017, 01:44 PM
Yes, and everybody loves it when that last bullet pushes it up off the sizing die and dumps bullets everywhere. Just because YOU see no need to improve the process doesn't mean the process doesn't have elements that need improvement.
With this other arrangement you can size a lot more bullets without having to empty the bullet cup.

I've done that a few times...until I put a large rubber band around the red container...top to bottom.

MostlyOnThePaper
05-21-2017, 01:53 PM
I like NoAngel's approach.

Jack Stanley
05-21-2017, 09:19 PM
I like NoAngel's approach.

It is kind nice isn't it ?

Jack

NoAngel
05-21-2017, 09:31 PM
It is kind nice isn't it ?

Jack

i thought so too. So when the guy priced it I didn't even flinch, I just paid the man.

308Jeff
05-22-2017, 06:37 PM
The more I think about this, the more I like it.

This weekend, I'm going to remount all of my presses upside down.

Except the one for bullet sizing, that one's going sideways, as previously discussed.

MostlyOnThePaper
05-22-2017, 07:41 PM
The more I think about this, the more I like it.

This weekend, I'm going to remount all of my presses upside down.

Except the one for bullet sizing, that one's going sideways, as previously discussed.
Replies like this ^^^ that add NOTHING to the conversation except to heap derision on those trying to break new ground/find more efficient ways to do things while basking in smug superiority are the main reason I don't generally post over here anymore. I'm no great loss but it's also chased off/annoyed away MANY who are absolute fountains of knowledge.

Thanks for reminding me.

Loudy13
05-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Well after reading this thread I decided to try it with a Redding Boss press that I have been sizing on. I took a picture but for some reason I can not upload pics today from my computer or phone.

But I digress, I mounted the press using one of the holes I already had drilled in my bench for something else so it was kind of kitty whompass but I will drill some new holes now that I have tried it. After dropping about 10 rounds into a hole instead of holding each round I was sold. The inverted press is the way to go with sizing!!

Thank again to the people that bring their ideas to these forums, I will try later to post some pics.

jmort
05-22-2017, 07:56 PM
Replies like this ^^^ that add NOTHING to the conversation except to heap derision on those trying to break new ground/find more efficient ways to do things while basking in smug superiority are the main reason I don't generally post over here anymore. I'm no great loss but it's also chased off/annoyed away MANY who are absolute fountains of knowledge.

Thanks for reminding me.

Completely agree
The sizer No Angel is using is the future I want

308Jeff
05-22-2017, 09:03 PM

Thanks for reminding me.

Sorry, sir. I should have realized that not everyone knows my sense of humor, and that the post was meant as nothing more. I apologize that it wasn't recognized for what it was.

Thank you in turn for reminding me that it's best to be serious 100% of the time, unless you're among those who know you better.

NoAngel
05-22-2017, 09:18 PM
I think some folks use colored font for sarcasm.

308Jeff
05-22-2017, 09:30 PM
I think some folks use colored font for sarcasm.

Appreciated, and noted.

sparky45
05-22-2017, 10:11 PM
This is how I do it.

MostlyOnThePaper
05-22-2017, 10:34 PM
This is how I do it.
That IS a clever idea. I still like being only limited by the size container you choose to put under it with the upside with the hose though.

Walter Laich
05-23-2017, 09:51 AM
This is how I do it.

Went to that method and it works fine--bit faster than without the spring.

after flipping my press over I find that to be even faster.

I like all of the steps in casting but let's face it, sizing 500 bullets can get a bit boring; anything to speed the process up is welcome

OS OK
05-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Went to that method and it works fine--bit faster than without the spring.

after flipping my press over I find that to be even faster.

I like all of the steps in casting but let's face it, sizing 500 bullets can get a bit boring; anything to speed the process up is welcome

I've gone from balancing to the spring and now to the upside down press...but 500 casts to size in one sitting requires a darn good 60's CD in the shop stereo! The mind can go back in time when we were young and nimble, the heart can sing along and the body can sit there patiently acting like a machine someone left running . . . :bigsmyl2:

sparky45
05-24-2017, 10:27 AM
And that's why we have free will.:wink:

That IS a clever idea. I still like being only limited by the size container you choose to put under it with the upside with the hose though.