PDA

View Full Version : Had a good day.

Harter66
02-27-2017, 07:09 PM
I only shot these guys with a camera .
I did have to shoo them off the back stop though.
A very nice desert big horn.
A look at that full curl head on.
The rest of the gang .

At Walker Lake Nevada .

MUSTANG
02-27-2017, 07:19 PM
Nice pics. We enjoy driving through Walker when we are transiting between the Las Vegas and Reno general areas.

As a side line story: Back about 1999 the wife and I were driving from Las Vegas to Arizona through the Boulder Dam area. As we wound through the road down to the Dam, there were about 15 Desert Big Horn sheep up on the side of the cut for the road. My wife said "Look, they put a bunch of stuffed sheep out for the Tourists." I about busted a gut laughing as they were totally unmoving, and she really thought they were stuffed and put out for the Tourists to see.

Hamish
02-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Barter, great pics, always enjoy seeing local wildlife!

Mustang, Boulder Dam it is! I don't remember exactly which name they called the dam in school, but for Vegas locals, it will ALWAYS be Boulder.

Teddy (punchie)
02-28-2017, 03:00 PM
super pics, thanks for sharing

starmac
02-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Mustang I have a similar story. The very first time my daughter and Sil came to Alaska they drove another truck and followed me up.
They were disappointed that they never saw a moose all the way up.
After we both got unloaded we parked their truck and piled in mine and went to an eating joint on airport blvd. Right in the middle of Fairbanks, I pointed out a moose standing under a sign, and they looked at it, but were like yea right. After eating and on the way back, the moose was in the same place, but while my Sil was looking at it, it moved, now they were telling me to look it is a real moose. lol

Geezer in NH
02-28-2017, 05:18 PM
Nice!! Thanks for sharing. :goodpost:

tdoyka
02-28-2017, 07:21 PM
very nice!!!!!

MUSTANG
03-01-2017, 11:06 AM
Barter, great pics, always enjoy seeing local wildlife!

Mustang, Boulder Dam it is! I don't remember exactly which name they called the dam in school, but for Vegas locals, it will ALWAYS be Boulder.

The agreement between the western states to build a dam on the Colorado River was advanced, championed, and brokered by Herbert Hoover while he was the Secretary of Commerce. As President he had the misfortune of being in office during the collapse of the US Stock Market, and the follow on collapse of the world economy. The construction of the Dam was authorized by Congress in 1928. Herbert Hoover was President March 4, 1929 to March 4, 1933. Actual construction of the Dam began in 1931 under President Hoover. The building of the Dam on the Colorado River was rebranded as a "Works Project" by FDR, and completed under the FDR first term as President. FDR hated Hoover personally and did not want him to receive any recognition for the Dam on the Colorado River; so it was named Boulder Dam (although the Boulder site was rejected and the Dam actually built at the Black Canyon site). Until 1947 both Boulder Dam and Hoover Dam were used interchangeably depending on who was doing the citation. In 1947 both houses of Congress formally established the name of Hoover Dam as the title for this facility.

I grew up in a totally Democratic family in the panhandle of Texas (all Great Grandparents, Grandparents, parents, 17 Aunts and Uncles - Moms & Dads brothers and sister; all Democrats). The lesser god FDR was often present as a picture in many of the houses. As I transitioned from Grade School to Jr. High my readings at the library expanded my knowledge based on facts and and expanded educated foundation, and I revised my thinking of the world - rejecting the false demi-god Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Some quick background on Herbert Hoover might change some peoples mis-education on the man. Quick view:
http://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-herbert-hoover

RGR175
03-01-2017, 06:19 PM
I was camping and hiking in the Spring mountains west of Las Vegas a long time ago and saw about 6 or 7 of these big horn sheep on the side of a mountain about 100 yard from where we were at. Amazing how they move across the cliff sides.

Smoke4320
03-01-2017, 10:05 PM
I would say you had a great day as well

jeepyj
03-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Excellent photos. It appears you did have a great day!

Harter66
03-02-2017, 09:18 AM
These guys are local to us . I don't why they haven't been hit on the highway . There seems to be 2 herds . But it may be a breeding / rearing division of the here too . This is the first time I have been this close to them off the asphalt .

We have 2 herds of Pronghorn at work that we see with boring regularly too there are a couple really nice billys in with them too . 189433

quilbilly
03-02-2017, 01:06 PM
With all that snow in the mountains around you, how are the mule deer looking? This must be a hungry time for them.

Harter66
03-02-2017, 01:29 PM
I don't know really we have only had a few real cold days and nights and snow stay below 7000' for maybe 2 weeks since October . All the remaining snow locally is above or right at the top of tree line . We only saw maybe 10-15 deer in the valley all winter . The feed here within a half mile of the springs from 5-6000' is thick . The pine nuts haven't been any good in 5-6 yr but the grass and sage are good . There haven't been any bears down in 2 yr and the rabitts are above average . I would venture that the deer are doing well . Where we have bears competing for meat we don't have lions so that's a bonus for the west side of 95 .

WRideout
03-02-2017, 08:31 PM
When I was a boy scout in So Cal, many years ago, my troop took a week-long canoe trip on the Colorado River between Needles and Lake Havasu; flat water portion. While we were paddling in the vicinity of Topoc Gorge, I saw a desert bighorn sheep standing on the rock bluff overlooking the water. Same day I also saw a gila monster, really just a big lizard. Some things you never forget.

Wayne

54bore
03-04-2017, 11:07 PM
Nice pics!

woodbutcher
03-12-2017, 02:42 PM
:DNice pics.Thanks for posting.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo