PDA

View Full Version : Range Design Inspiration

7Acres
02-27-2017, 06:22 PM
My current range incorporates a lead trap 100 yards off my back porch. While it has been great it is also on a downward sloping grade. When I want to zero a new optic I find myself going down to my neighbor's range as his is 140 yards and is flat.

I took a walk in the woods this afternoon to see if I could find a good flat spot that had a substantial earth backstop. I found a good spot down where there was a big river 100 years ago. Now it's got a stream. But the backstop is about 40' high where the river eroded. A good 100% flat ~135 yard run. I'd only need to fall about 6 trees. I wanted to clear a walking trail through there anyway.

So I'm up at the computer looking through the steel targets at ShootSteel.com and I guess there's a little of everything. So what should I get? I want plates at pistol distances some at about 50 yards and more at the measured 100 yard mark. I'm kind of lost on what direction to go.

I could buy five 6" round hanging targets for handgun range.
A couple 10" hanging square gongs for the 50 yard distance.
A mix of larger and smaller plates for the 100 yard range.

Or maybe just a range of large and small for each distance. That would give me a variety to shoot at but the ability to work on precision as well.

I'd really like some ideas from you though. How would you set up the range if you were starting from scratch like me?

country gent
02-27-2017, 10:15 PM
Our club has one 3 gong bank with 10" 8" and 6" round gongs at 200 yds. were putting one 3 gong bank at 100 8" 6" 4" for members use. We thought about a turkey crow and wood chuck at each bank also.

mcdaniel.mac
02-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Have you considered how you'll hang them? With the right setup, and perhaps a small wagon, you could get an assortment and use them as you need to. I haven't been to ShootSteel's website, do they have a caliber guide? If not I can post up the one from the place I order targets so you know the distance needed for each projectile type vs target thickness.

I think you need at least one silhouette target with the modified A-zone chalked or painted on.

MarkP
02-27-2017, 11:11 PM
I have hanging steel plates set up at various distances and lollipop type targets. Lollipops look like the candy at checkout lanes in groceriy stores; just steel disks welded to a piece of 5/8" solid round with a keel (1.5" x 5" x 7 ga strip) welded at bottom, I drive into ground with body weight or hammer if really dry. Keel keeps them from rotating in ground.

My lollipops are 3",4", 6", and 8". I have some lined up and equally spaced and some that are somewhat randomly positioned at various distances. Hanging targets are 6 to 18" and one is about 30" but I have not hung it up yet. Also have some bison silhouettes from 1/8x scale to 1x.

dverna
02-27-2017, 11:36 PM
Unless you have a heck of a slope, it will not affect your zero. If you know a bit of trigonometry, you can calculate the equivalent yardage anyway.

jmorris
02-28-2017, 12:46 AM
Unless you have a heck of a slope, it will not affect your zero.

I agree. Also even if it is a heck of a slope that drastically effects your zero, it's still your range and pretty fixed unless your porch or backstop change elevations, so the amount of effect would be known with a single range session at level.

You might even be better off than some, you don't have a location listed but there are lots of places where one can't shoot flat anyway.

7Acres
02-28-2017, 05:28 PM
This is some great feedback! I like MarkP's setup. Happy to learn I can zero my optics even with the grade I have. It probably drops 10' over 100 yards. So not very steep. I went down there with flags this afternoon and flagged a path that gets me down there in my truck. I don't have a 4 wheeler (yet). Now that I can see it better in my mind's eye I'm looking forward to having it all cleared and set up. That will take some work.

As for the question about if ShootSteel has a guide for what plates work for what calibers they have this (http://www.shootsteel.com/picking-a-target/). I'm not married to them. They just seemed to have good prices.

three50seven
03-01-2017, 10:00 AM
My range sounds a lot like yours, 100 yds in the back yard with a gentle slope. I have all my targets at the back stop and set up to shoot at varying distances instead of having targets at varying distances. I have 4 8" gongs, 5 3" gongs, 2 10x12" plates, and 1 bush hog blade that's probably 6" wide by 16" long, as well as a target stand for paper targets. It sounds like you have found a great spot for a new range, shooting in the woods is always nice, shady and not as much wind!

jmorris
03-01-2017, 10:29 AM
It probably drops 10' over 100 yards.

That would be 1.9097 degrees or insignificant.

When your target is uphill or downhill, your round will impact high if you aim dead-on. (The explanation is complex and worthy of a future column, but for now, just trust me.) There are several methods to determine the amount of compensation, but the quickest involves these simple Rules of Thumb:

For a target 45 degrees up or down, multiply the actual distance by 0.7, set your scope elevation for this distance and aim dead-on;
When the target's 30 degrees up or down, multiply its range by 0.9, set your scope for this distance and aim dead-on;
If the target angle is less than 30 degrees, aim dead-on.

http://www.millettsights.com/resources/shooting-tips/mathematics-for-precision-shooters/

7Acres
03-03-2017, 11:02 AM
My range sounds a lot like yours, 100 yds in the back yard with a gentle slope. I have all my targets at the back stop and set up to shoot at varying distances instead of having targets at varying distances. I have 4 8" gongs, 5 3" gongs, 2 10x12" plates, and 1 bush hog blade that's probably 6" wide by 16" long, as well as a target stand for paper targets. It sounds like you have found a great spot for a new range, shooting in the woods is always nice, shady and not as much wind!

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the new spot. My current range is in full blistering sunlight. It's brutal in the Summer. Yesterday I cleared a wide winding path down to the stream edge where I'll shoot from. It's so nice down there. Quiet, away from the house, sound of the stream, 70' hardwoods shading everything.

It sounds like my current range is totally suitable for zeroing. But I'm looking forward to the new range. I've got friends who like to come over here and shoot. I always wonder whether they'll show up while my wife has got the kids down for a nap or something. With the new range being 300 yards from the house and down in the valley they can shoot whenever and whatever they like.

Either way, I'll take any excuse to be out in the woods away from the house!

OS OK
03-03-2017, 11:10 AM
Being a Pb miser...I would make an effort to save all that 'splattered Pb'...here's an idea if you are interested?

Lead Collecting Steel Targets Part One (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CY0MOdEMSE)

Lead Collecting Targets Part 2 - Duration: 7:54. mars1952 12,597 views (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1D116TmUw)

7Acres
03-03-2017, 11:54 AM
OS OK, awesome idea! I love everything in your signature too, btw!

Yeah, I was figuring the lead would be lost. But with this idea I can collect it. Fantastic.

I just had new tires put on both vehicles. I was tempted to ask the guy if I could keep the tires but didn't have an immediate use for them. Will tire shops give me a dozen tires if I simply ask? Or do they make money off of used tires somehow?

Being a Pb miser...I would make an effort to save all that 'splattered Pb'...here's an idea if you are interested?

Lead Collecting Steel Targets Part One (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CY0MOdEMSE)

Lead Collecting Targets Part 2 - Duration: 7:54. mars1952 12,597 views (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1D116TmUw)

three50seven
03-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the new spot. My current range is in full blistering sunlight. It's brutal in the Summer. Yesterday I cleared a wide winding path down to the stream edge where I'll shoot from. It's so nice down there. Quiet, away from the house, sound of the stream, 70' hardwoods shading everything.

It sounds like my current range is totally suitable for zeroing. But I'm looking forward to the new range. I've got friends who like to come over here and shoot. I always wonder whether they'll show up while my wife has got the kids down for a nap or something. With the new range being 300 yards from the house and down in the valley they can shoot whenever and whatever they like.

Either way, I'll take any excuse to be out in the woods away from the house!
Yep, a friend and I used to shoot in his woods when we were in high school. Lots of good memories! be sure to post some pics when you're finished!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

OS OK
03-03-2017, 12:10 PM
I dunnoh about the tires...here in Cali they have to 'account/show a paper trail' for the used tires being hauled off to the proper disposal. One of my friends and brass stuffing buddies owns a tire shop in Georgetown and said I could have all the tires I wanted for my rifle range but I think he is kinda hanging his butt out on a limb to do that. Or the paper trail is not all that accurate? Who knows how many tires go back with the customer for use on farm trailers and such?

It does cost them to recycle the tires so they might be amenable to what you want to do.

I would caution you about collecting the lead out of the tires with the brass stuck in the inside of the tire...little razors awaiting your delicate fingers!
I would use a scoop and not get overly concerned with getting every last splatter. ALSO...drill some drain holes in the bottom...say multiple 1/4" for drainage.
I'll bet that the recycle amount will be significant. Every time I see or hear the gong I think of all the wasted lead and cringe...this fella really had a good idea!

Good luck with your range...it's truly a blessing to have one.
Invite plenty of friends to add to your 'lead mining'!

7Acres
03-03-2017, 12:24 PM
Invite plenty of friends to add to your 'lead mining'!

Exactly! As well as the Brass donations!

three50seven, I will certainly share some photos. It's going to be a bit though. I haven't "tamed" the woods down in that area of the property yet. I'm looking forward to having trails that extend all the way down there. The new range will also double as a nice clear lane to shoot at some 4-legged targets too. There's a perfect tree to go up 30' in a climbing stand.

jmorris
03-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the new spot. My current range is in full blistering sunlight. It's brutal in the Summer.

We just cut down some cedars for posts and made shade, also lets you shoot in the rain.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMAG0150.jpg

OS OK
03-04-2017, 09:23 AM
That's a nice range morris...but...I think you might be slippin! That or you have too many irons in the fire already?

I can see you standing in front of that cedar post fiddling with that rifle as it sits in a custom rifle rack that goes all the way around the post...hmmm? I've been having too many visions lately...:bigsmyl2:

jmorris
03-04-2017, 09:32 AM
That's not me, when it's that hot I am the guy that is consuming the cold beverages from the cooler at the lower left and taking photos. With the occasional break from hydration to spot some shots at longer ranges. Work smart not hard ;)

EDG
03-04-2017, 10:21 AM
If you have a 100 yard range (3600 inches) on the level and your targets are 10 feet lower (120 inches) the added range for shooting down hill is 2 INCHES..

My current range incorporates a lead trap 100 yards off my back porch. While it has been great it is also on a downward sloping grade. When I want to zero a new optic I find myself going down to my neighbor's range as his is 140 yards and is flat.

I took a walk in the woods this afternoon to see if I could find a good flat spot that had a substantial earth backstop. I found a good spot down where there was a big river 100 years ago. Now it's got a stream. But the backstop is about 40' high where the river eroded. A good 100% flat ~135 yard run. I'd only need to fall about 6 trees. I wanted to clear a walking trail through there anyway.

So I'm up at the computer looking through the steel targets at ShootSteel.com and I guess there's a little of everything. So what should I get? I want plates at pistol distances some at about 50 yards and more at the measured 100 yard mark. I'm kind of lost on what direction to go.

I could buy five 6" round hanging targets for handgun range.
A couple 10" hanging square gongs for the 50 yard distance.
A mix of larger and smaller plates for the 100 yard range.

Or maybe just a range of large and small for each distance. That would give me a variety to shoot at but the ability to work on precision as well.

I'd really like some ideas from you though. How would you set up the range if you were starting from scratch like me?

jmorris
03-04-2017, 11:50 PM
the added range for shooting down hill is 2 INCHES..

While either way it is still insignificant, shooting up hill or down hill would be like decreasing the range not adding to it, as your hold will be lower than if you were firing level for the same point of impact.

7Acres
03-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Great idea. I know just the cedars for the job too. Do you have those set down into the ground?

We just cut down some cedars for posts and made shade, also lets you shoot in the rain.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMAG0150.jpg

jmorris
03-07-2017, 04:17 AM
Yes, we went down 3-4 ft with the auger but didn't concrete or even rock them in, just filled back with the loose sand. May should have spent $10 on the project and set them right but they haven't hit the ground yet.

Around here, if it's a cedar and near a decent tree it's a good one to cut down.

7Acres
03-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Around here, if it's a cedar and near a decent tree it's a good one to cut down.

That's my policy too!

CLAYPOOL
03-10-2017, 02:20 AM
Here's a THOUGHT for all you out there. IF YOU HAVE A NEIGHBOR problem you will state the fact that YOUR Range slopes down for additional safety......

jmorris
03-10-2017, 08:44 AM
I figure if you have a neighbor problem it's likely due to noise.

If you are letting bullets leave your property that's your problem, not someone else's.