PDA

View Full Version : Had to put down my old friend

tomme boy
02-27-2017, 03:49 PM
Today was a hard day for me. My old man Sam was going down hill very fast in the last few weeks. The vet said they could not find anything wrong with him. He stopped eating Sat. and was just sleeping the whole time. He lost control of his bladder last night. I made the decision with my better half last night that I would take him on his final journey today. Sam is the grey on the left.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/tommeboy/10361031_754652517904520_8949976056162643293_n_zps 8175f168.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tommeboy/media/10361031_754652517904520_8949976056162643293_n_zps 8175f168.jpg.html)

OS OK
02-27-2017, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry for you loss tomme...I know how much it hurts to make that last trip with a loved animal. Our world is full of little ones like them that need a good home. I hope your heart heals soon and you make a place for one of those.

charlie

9w1911
02-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Im so sorry.

William Yanda
02-27-2017, 06:17 PM
I feel your pain. There are 4 grey or grey and white cats that let us live with them. Used to be 5.
Bill

tomme boy
02-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Been having anxiety attacks all day.

toallmy
02-27-2017, 06:51 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss .

XDROB
02-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Sorry for your loss. I know how it feels
Have lost two in the last 20 years.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

shoot-n-lead
02-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Sorry to hear that you had to this...it is tough.

adam_mac84
02-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Worst day! Sorry for your loss!!!

DCP
02-27-2017, 07:36 PM
Been having anxiety attacks all day.

Hang in there. One day at a time.

6bg6ga
02-27-2017, 07:41 PM
Never had a cat but I know the pain I've felt when I had to put down one of our German Shepherds. I'm sorry for your loss.

Boaz
02-27-2017, 07:46 PM
I'm sorry you lost a friend . They are always missed ...part of our life . You did the right thing for him .

buckwheatpaul
02-27-2017, 07:51 PM
tomme boy, I am so sorry for your loss.....all of our puppy children are getting long in the tooth and I am dreading those days...but your Cast Boolits family is there for you when bad things happen. Paul

Teddy (punchie)
02-27-2017, 07:58 PM
Sorry for your lost. Looks like a nice kitten .

xs11jack
02-27-2017, 09:07 PM
Sorry for loosing a loved one, we will pray for your family.
Ole Jack

dbarry1
02-27-2017, 09:14 PM
sorry for your loss.

jeepyj
02-27-2017, 09:16 PM
Looks like a special friend. Hopefully you'll find peace in the fact that because of you and your wife, Sam had the best care possable.

lightman
02-27-2017, 09:55 PM
Thats a tough lick my Friend! I'm sorry for your loss. Its like losing a family member. Like someone else said, remember that because of you he had better life that he would have anyplace else. He was a handsome Kitty!

JWFilips
02-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Tomme,
Very sorry to hear!!! I love all my kitties & Everyones Kitties! They are very special friends!
Jim

rl69
02-27-2017, 10:02 PM
Good looking cat

it gets easier you will be in our prayers

bedbugbilly
02-27-2017, 10:12 PM
tommy - I'm so sorry as I know how hard it is. One thing to remember is that you gave him a good loving life and home and that's something that a lot of animals never know. Cherish the good memories and believe me when I say that he will always be with you. It takes a lot of courage to know when it's the right time and even more love to recognize it. For every pet we loose, there is another one out there that needs your love and the security of a good home - you'll know when it's time. Until then, know that others who have had the same experience have you in their thoughts and prayers.

jcwit
02-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Had to do that years ago with a cat that loved me as much as any human could. Sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing.

I know how much it hurts!

hardy
02-27-2017, 10:57 PM
Sorry for your loss tomme boy,I lost my border collie "Spot" earlier today'Vet told me he could medicate him but it was,nt going to get better.Thank the Lord he did,nt suffer long, last night the usual walk no problems, but this morning all his lesser ailments combined into a perfect storm.Poor blighter could,nt raise himself up and snapped at me when I tried to help him.Still he had a good run in a home that loved the snot out of him.Wifey,s cut up and on top of that she,s at a wake tonight for one of her cousins! Never rains but it pours.......tears that is.Again sorry for your loss and everyone,everywhere who,s in the same boat Mike.

MaryB
02-27-2017, 11:41 PM
Sorry to hear, I still miss Tigger who died a couple weeks ago... even though I got another fur buddy to keep Oreo company he isn't Tigger. He is a lot like Tigger was though! Somehow I pick that personality in cats.

XDROB
02-27-2017, 11:50 PM
A lot of people say time makes it better
It does not.
What time does is: let's you find a closet in your head and you put the memories in and close the door. Every once in awhile something opens the door and let's the memories out
It gets easier to gather them up and put them back in.
You will not loose them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rufus Krile
02-28-2017, 12:29 AM
It doesn't get easier as we get older, either. It is better to let them keep their dignity and end their pain.

smokeywolf
02-28-2017, 05:16 AM
It's not at all hard to bond as closely with our furry family members as the human ones. I cried daily for a month when I lost my Sammy wolf. It was three months before I started feeling somewhat normal. It seems impossible to endure, but you will get through it.

The next kitty won't replace Sam but will help fill the gap resulting from Sam's absence.

You have our deepest sympathy.

The smokeywolf family

Fordcragar
02-28-2017, 05:23 AM
Sorry for your loss, I completely understand. We had to put down our German Shepard a few months ago.

bensonwe
02-28-2017, 06:41 AM
So sorry to hear. Animals find a way into our hearts and stay there forever.

Taylor
02-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Hang in there my friend.:sad:

Blackwater
02-28-2017, 01:29 PM
These are some of the toughest times in our lives, or at least surely is in mine. I've put two to sleep myself, one a cat and another a dog. The cat was laying there dying, and didn't have many minutes left when I found her. Her ribs were poking through the skin markedly, and she just had enough energy to raise here head and weakly "meow," as though asking me to end her suffering for her. I had my little .22, and as hard as it was for me at that tender age of maybe 12 or so, I put the muzzle behind here ear, as she seemed to look forward to the relief, and pulled the trigger. The second was a dog that took up at the house, that had some mange and was incredibly infested with fleas. I don't think I'll ever see a dog as flea ridden as that dog was. A really depraved black family had taken up residence in a building that was falling apart before they got there, and I'm pretty sure it was their dog. When it finally fell down completely, they left, and obviously didn't take the dog with them. It came up obviously hungry, and I fed it and then tried to run it off. Of course it ignored me. Nobody else would feed it or give it anything but a hard time. I just couldn't do that, despite knowing that feeding it wasn't a good idea. It took up residence in our garage, after we'd gone to sleep, and we'd run it out in the a.m. when we opened the door. It wasn't long before our whole house was infested, and I mean REALLY infested with fleas! They'd wake me up at night, and they were everywhere! We tried sprays, including flea sprays on the dog, but the fleas just seemed to get fat on it. Finally, we were headed to my FIL's one day, and the wife said we needed to take the dog with us and let it out somewhere. I hesitated, but knew she was right, and however reluctantly, tied the dog to the loadbed with enough slack to be comfortable. I waited until we were almost to my FIL's before pulling off on a logging road, and taking it back a ways. Got it out, and took my little .22 and it seemed to know what was coming. I just couldn't let it out to be shot by someone else and maybe laying and suffering a long, desperate death. So, I shot it in just under the skull cap, and it was quick and as painless as I could make it for him.

When it came time to put down my beloved Brittany, Bill, I just absolutely could NOT do this myself. He'd lay there, and suddenly break out hollering and whimpering with pain. I took about a day and a half of that, hoping he might get better and it'd pass. When I couldn't imagine it getting better, I knew what I had to do. I just couldn't do it myself, and wouldn't ask a friend to do it for me, so I took Bill to the vet, and held him in my arms as he looked up at me, still wanting all that pain to just go away. He was not good with pain at all, and had never been. So, with the vet's respectful help, he passed away in my arms as I showered him with my tears, that seem to be recurring as I write this. I knew it was the right thing to do, but even right things can make us extremely sad and regretful, especially when it comes to our pets, who have given us so much for so little in return.

You did good, sir. Even though it was so difficult, you did good. We owe that to our faithful friends, always. What they leave behind in us is their legacy on this earth, and it can truly be a magnificent legacy. How grateful I am for the really great ones I have had. And I've been truly lucky in having a long succession of really great dogs. I'm a dog man, myself. Can't believe I've been so lucky as I've been with them.

Just make sure her legacy lives on within you. It's their form of "immortality."

tomme boy
02-28-2017, 01:44 PM
I can not believe how quite the house is today. I never realized how much noise Sam made. He would always jump up and start talking to me whenever you got up and moved around. He was always screaming at you. He demanded attention, so I always picked him up and pet him. He would stand up on his hind legs with his front legs in the air like pick me up. I have no idea how he learned that but it was sooo neat.

scarry scarney
02-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Tomme Boy

My heart goes out to you, like many other's I too, have woken to a quite house that was once filled with a bundle of fur. Time heals the wound, but a scar remains. Taking our fur covered children for their last right, is part of the circle of care that we accept. You did the right thing, it would of been wrong for Sam to suffer any longer.

44man
02-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Don't even talk about it. Even a dog that is young brings tears because I know the family member can die way before me. It is so cruel that our best friends die soon. My little girl sleeps on the couch and i look to see if she is breathing, scared to death.
I am not a cat person but miss those we had.
Like Blackwater, I will never shoot my friend again. I will hold my girl to the end.

Texas by God
02-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Sorry for your loss. I lost two of my dogs last year and I'm not over it yet. Best, Thomas.

Geezer in NH
02-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Sorry for your loss.

richhodg66
02-28-2017, 08:54 PM
Wife and I are cat people, we have four at the moment. It pains us no end to loose one which has happened a few times in our almost 29 year marriage.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but a kitten sure is a lot of fun and a great way to take your mind off things and there sure are a lot of them out there looking for a good human.

JWFilips
02-28-2017, 09:02 PM
My Wife & I are cat people too: Two indoors and we care for 14 outdoor "want a home kitties" The reason I say that is because no way are they feral. We have loved and helped them since they were born. Have been doing this twice + a day for five years
They are really beautiful creatures! and Always loving to us!

BNE
02-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Sorry. Tough job Nothing beats the daily greetings from the ones with fur.

clum553946
03-03-2017, 04:46 AM
I too am sorry for your loss. It's one of those days we dread, but it comes with loving & receiving unconditional love from your very special companion. As some time passes, in the final analysis, we realize that it was more than well worth it!

54bore
03-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Sorry tomme boy, You did the right thing tho!! These are TOUGH TOUGH situations! We have a little dog, she is more my wifes dog than mine, her and i have little games we play, it's basically me harassing her! I love this little dog like a person, she is truly like a kid to me! Losing a pet is a TOUGH one!!

10-x
03-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Tomme boy, sorry for your loss but you did your pal good. We dread the day we will have to put our Greyhound. Hes the best Dog we've had and we've had many. Friend and neighbor has a little dog thats 17! and in failing health. They will be devastated when they have to put Buddy down. He and our Grey are buds even though he can walk under our Grey.

Detroitdanm
03-03-2017, 11:11 PM
Sorry for the loss of a beloved companion. I'm new to cats, only got my first one ever last labor day after losing my beloved 18yo Cocker the previous year. She's quickly taken over the house & is my constant companion when home.

Ithaca Gunner
03-04-2017, 12:30 AM
I sorry for your loss of a great friend. My God grant you peace and when you enter the gates of Heaven, may Sam be there to greet you.