PDA

View Full Version : Knives

jim4065
07-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Addicted to the damn things - don't know why. Wish we had a sub-forum about 'em.

Just bought a Puma 3 bladed folder on ebay for $30 - turned out to be made in China, and it's not an IP.

Always wanted a Stag White Hunter - don't know why. So I bought one NIB for $156 plus frt on ebay. That's too cheap for Solingen, and haven't received it yet.

Anybody know if they've started making these in China too? :-?

Meatco1
07-04-2008, 08:53 PM
You & me both!

Richard

Southern Son
07-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Me to. I can't afford to buy them, so I had to take up making them. I really miss my shed, I can't start up the linishing belt, grinder or whatever where I am know. I get into enough trouble just casting.

montana_charlie
07-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Always wanted a Stag White Hunter - don't know why. So I bought one NIB for $156 plus frt on ebay. That's too cheap for Solingen, and haven't received it yet.

I have a NIB Puma Bowie (w/stag) that I bought about a year ago. It says Germany on the box, and on the blade.

Has the same look and balance as the one I bought in 1968, and which got stolen in 1980.
CM

frank505
07-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Try the Mora knives made in Sweden, Sportsmans Guide sells some for 12 dollars and they also on Fleabay. We use them on buffalo and love them and if by chance we leave one on the ground it isn't much money.

bobk
07-05-2008, 10:00 AM
I recently got a Marble's Woodcraft. I wanted a decent knife that was carbon steel, and made in USA. It is, and putting a fine edge on it is taking some time, so I'm guessing that it will take an equally long time to dull that edge. I may buy more Marbles, but it's probably unnecessary. I expect the knife will outlive me. I saw some at a gunshow, and considered them, but I decided to start one up to pass down through the family.
Bob K

fatnhappy
07-05-2008, 10:50 AM
I have a couple Marbles, all carbon steel except one, and a rapid river drop point. I could shave with any of them. Unfortunately Marbles is making the majority of their blades in china now, and I won't buy them. I find myself using the 2 drop points to the exclusion of all my other blades theses days......except the one stainless marbles plainsman I own. It only cost me $15 so I use it daily at work.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/hunting/101_0870.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/hunting/101_0866.jpg

montana_charlie
07-05-2008, 12:51 PM
It is a shame that these companies, that built their reputations through the labor of American craftsmen, will prostitute that good name and eliminate U.S. jobs for a few pieces of silver.
I don't know if the 'infection' ran deep enough to reach the workers in knife-making factories. But, most of the job transfer out of this country can be attributed to union-mandated wages and benefits. Those benefits became so overbearing that manufacturers were driven to seek an 'affordable' labor force...or close their doors.

So, while they didn't kill the golden goose...she moved to China (and elsewhere) to lay her eggs.
CM

07-10-2008, 08:52 AM
That's the never ending story about unions. As a college kid, I joined a union to work summer jobs. Because I could read and cypher better than the Macedonians, Greeks and American rummies, I ended up the second highest paid job title in the plant. Talk about injustice! The Macedonian taught me the job I had. If he would have spoken English, he would have been top kick in the factory. Anyway, because of unions, I got paid much more than I was worth. Great for my selfish, short term needs, but bad as a policy to influence an economy.

07-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Oh, and what I forgot to add, is that I bought a Mora knife from Sportsman's Guide and it is a tremendous tool. It's a mass produced, plain Jane, light weight, but took an edge like nobody's business! I bought 4 more so I can have one in every emergency pack in all the vehicles and one in my hunting pack as a back up to my regular carry knife. It's inexpensive but not cheap.

Navahojoe
07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Love the darn things myself! I started carrying a pocket knife as a youngster and never looked back. Have about twenty five or thirty of them, including Bench Made, Case, Buck, Swiss Army, ect and a few hunting knives I made from old skil saw blades. I just checked my pockets and have both a Bench Made and a Case in them. No heirlooms, just working knives.

Regards,
NavahoJoe

Blammer
07-10-2008, 11:34 AM
I have a parker cutlery co. pocket knife with surgical steel-japan stamped on the blade. It's Leapord model.

I've had that knife about 20 yrs now and it's my daily carry knife. It's pretty beat up but works splendidly.

I don't have a lot of knives probably 4 total.

Leopard by Parker Cutlery
2 gerbers, recent purchase with in the last year.
and one Buck knife.

Uncle R.
07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Knives? Sure, why not?
<
I was at a gun show with a friend and he was admiring some hand-made custom knives. "Look at these fine cocobolo wood scales, and check this one - see the beautiful engraving on the hilt? And ohmygod is this WALRUS ivory?..."
<
I finally stopped him - "That stuff makes as much sense as scrimshawed ivory inserts in the handle of a crescent wrench. It only DETRACTS from the utility, and it's stupid. To me a knife is a TOOL - like a screwdriver or a hammer. I like and appreciate quality tools that do what they're supposed to do but I wouldn't want an ivory handle on a claw hammer and I don't want one on a KNIFE either."
<
My friend stared at me with a shocked expression, then shouted "SACRILEGE!" - before he smiled.
:twisted:
Uncle R.

JSnover
07-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I like the old-school folders. My favorite was a single blade OK by Olsen. No idea when it was made, my dad carried it since the mid 60s.

augois
07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I have my grandpappy's Old Timer. Not sure what model it is, and the shield fell out years ago, but it is quite a specimen....The stories it could tell. I also have my fathers Case. I believe it is the peanut model. It has plain jane very dark wood, and looks old and somewhat dried out, but it is a beaut!

rugerdude
07-10-2008, 01:18 PM
I have a couple of older Case pocket knives that follow me just about everywhere I go. They have carbon steel blades instead of the stainless that most Case knives come with now. They will take and hold an edge better than anything else I own. 5 minutes with an Arkansas stone and they will hurt you quick!

C1PNR
07-10-2008, 06:02 PM
I have two of the Old Timer Trappers, one of which I carry when going out of town. In town I usually carry one or another very small lock blade Bucks.

I've always had a soft place in my heart for a good, and good looking, knife. I especially enjoyed using my custom made (by an old friend) drop point 3 1/2" for gutting Deer and Elk. Usually switched to a Buck Skinner to do that job.

Sadly the custom got kicked out of the truck somewhere in a Colorado hunting field a few years ago. I'm still looking for a replacement, but right now the CMP .30 Carbines are soaking up ALL my "fun" money.[smilie=1:

MT Gianni
07-10-2008, 07:40 PM
That's the never ending story about unions. As a college kid, I joined a union to work summer jobs. Because I could read and cypher better than the Macedonians, Greeks and American rummies, I ended up the second highest paid job title in the plant. Talk about injustice! The Macedonian taught me the job I had. If he would have spoken English, he would have been top kick in the factory. Anyway, because of unions, I got paid much more than I was worth. Great for my selfish, short term needs, but bad as a policy to influence an economy.

I figure my union adds a minimum of $10 an hour to my wage over what I could negociate by myself. I know that my skills exceed some of my brothers but I know they would earn more because of their negociating skills. I have no problem paying for good representation. Gianni

TCLouis
07-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Simple alomost cheesy or chintzy Opinel's sharpen well, but can open enough in your poacke to give one a Heck of a surprise.

I hope the Mora carbon steel blades are good, I got 4 in the mail today.

I ordered them from Ragweed Forge (No I do not know the owner or get anything for the plug, but they were ordered by computer Sunday or Monday and were in todays mail!

The selection of the Ragweed Forge site is listed here

http://www.ragweedforge.com/Welcome.html#catalog

and I only know about the one I purchased 4 of and they are to be in the truck and each of my packs, ready to go! I know the model I bought only by reference from one of the sites I visit. I did lay one blade on the Gerber diamond stone and it was VERY sharp with about 5 strokes per side ( hey I went back and checked the others, they were all sharper when they came in than the one I worked on). Only time will tell me how satisfied I really and and how much I regret buying the model with green handle material.

jim4065
07-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Just got one of the "Mora of Sweden" carbon steel knives - I like it a lot. Almost ideal blade shape, light, sharp and dirt cheap. Hate the plastic sheath - Kydex would be much better - but if I lose the knife I'll enjoy shooting the sheath. :Fire:

sav300
07-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Was collecting S&W knives till they arrived with " Made in China" stamped on the blades and stopped collecting then,if I find a S&W at a show I will buy if made in usa.

jhrosier
07-11-2008, 01:32 AM
I have carried a pocket knife of one sort or the other just about every day for the past 52 years.
I generally buy a new one every year or so, if I find something interesting and useful, just because I like pocket knives. It is a sort of working collection.
I have found that the chinese knives vary from good quality to absolute junk and there is no way to tell what you are going to get these days, even when you buy a good old US of A brand name. I have a chinese Kershaw that I used a lot for a couple of years and it is very good quality. The chinese CRKT that I bought last year is a real piece of junk.
I have had good results with all of the Boker brand knives that I bought in the past and just bought a new one a few weeks ago.
I like a blade of about 3" in length, with a lock. I absolutely detest serrated blades and will never buy another. I find that knives in the $20-$45 range are usually pretty decent quality, if not made in china.

Jack

Bigjohn
07-11-2008, 04:09 AM
Now let me see;

BUCK

Ol' Timer's

SCHRADE

WENGER's

VICTORINOX

Boker's

Lanthois'

Hunt's

SOG

COLD STEEL

and a few more that slip my mind. And I have the scars to prove it.

It was once said, That if I fell and rolled down an embankment; my death would be declared a major crime, "Man dies of multiple stab wounds; knives still embeded in body." :mrgreen:

John.

bobk
07-11-2008, 07:01 AM
fatnhappy,
I called Marble's and they said that all their fixed blade knives are still made in Gladstone, Michigan. That said, I am going to look more closely at Case knives, which are apparently all still made in the US. I'll pay a premium, and gladly, for quality goods made right here (assumng that the quality is there).
Bob K

BBA
07-11-2008, 07:49 AM
If you like the Marble's knives you might look into Hess knives, the guy use to work at Marble's and started his own. I have seen a few and they appear pretty nice and aren't overpriced. I have some old Schrade knives, Case, and Buck. I have a Mora, but really like the Helle knife. The laminated steel holds an edge well. I also have a couple from Knives of Alaska, that D2 steel is tough.

DLCTEX
07-11-2008, 08:53 AM
I took my dog to the vet yesterday and while waiting I looked at a display of knives they had for sale. They are made by Moore of Matador, Tx. and look really good. According to the vet he is a respected knife maker and is known for the quality of his knives. My neighbor, gunsmith and knifemaker Mike Bryant has quiet a following in the knife trade, but if I pay $250 for a pocket knife I'm not likely to test it's quality by using it hard! The Moore knives are much more reasonable. If I ever wear out the Uncle Henry I carry every day I'll look into Moore's knives. I gave $1 for a box of junk at a garage sale years ago because it contained a Uncle Henry with a broken blade. Sent it in and recieved a new one in it's place. Total investment, $5.50 including postage. DALE

trickg
07-11-2008, 10:00 AM
I like knives and have a small collection of pocket knives and sheath knives. I have a couple of the older Parker Cutlery knives from when the blade was still stamped "Chattanooga, TN". I'm currently carrying a Case Trapper with a stag handle - one that has the little brass "Bass Pro" logo on the side. I didn't buy this knife - rather it was given to me by a friend of mine who thought I needed to have it.

My other main carry knife is an Emerson Mini Commander - again, given to me by the same friend who thought I needed to have it. Before you get to thinking that this guy is Mr. Generous, he gave me these knives in part because he got really good deals on them - in the case of the Case, he got it for cost, and in the case of the Emerson, it was a situation where he ordered the full sized Commander, but the order got mixed up somehow and they sent him the two knife set by accident for the same price. (I should also probably mention that from time to time we'll hang out and put away a few, and it's during those times that he gets his ideas that he needs to give me knives.)

Right now my best sheath knife is a Kabar combat knife with the US Army logo stamped on the sheath.

Like I said, I like knives, but nothing like my knife nut friend. He has all sorts of stuff, and much of it by custom makers. He recently commissioned a hand-forged replica of the Bowie knife Mick Dundee carried in the first Crocodile Dundee movie. I would venture to guess that he probably spends about $10,000 a year on knives and swords - some of them he flips, but he winds up keeping most of them, so needless to say, he's got quite a collection.

cajun shooter
07-11-2008, 10:31 AM
All gun people have a soft spot for knives as they are also a tool but at the same time an artform to be admired. I have Pumas, Marbles, Gerber,Case and one R.W. Wilson custom Knife. R.W. is the maker of the tomahawks used in Jermiah Johnson. A very nice man, check out his web site, he sells at a price a working man can buy. I'm a newbie but a place to show knives would not be bad for this site.

jim4065
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
The Puma White Hunter finally got here. Wow. I got a deal at $156. :mrgreen:

jim4065
07-11-2008, 07:08 PM
(I'll shut up soon - Promise.)

This is my carry every day knife. http://www.agrussell.com/knives/by_maker/a_through_d/a_g_russell_knives/straight_knives/a_g_russell_woodswalker_in_leather_hip_pocket_shea th.html

We're not allowed to have any knives at work, but this is around my neck and under a t-shirt. If asked - I just say the lump is a St. Christophers medal. Very light and super comfortable. Russell is an old knifemaker from the Jimmy Lile days. All of his stuff is good, but some of it's a little pricey. The knife never slips out of the Kydex sheath, but a gentle tug frees it instantly.

Sharp and handy - and my pockets are always full of other stuff.

hotwheelz
07-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Ill give another vote for a knives, I have a good collection of buck knives gotta love them:drinks:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg177/hotwheelz-1/Picture200972028Medium29.jpg

waksupi
07-11-2008, 09:00 PM
I am also an addict. These are from one shelf here.
Not a very good picture. This batch includes a Jukes Coulson, an S.J. Kitchen, and a Will and Finck, amoung others.

testhop
07-13-2008, 01:08 PM
me i carred the queen mod 36 for 30 years broked t6he boosters called queen and ask to
buy 2 more told no and woulden talk about where i could find 2 those 36s held a edge great
you know there is a knife you dont see anymore it is the old ww2 bolo had one as a kid used it for everything from sliceing bacon to choping wood for the campfire wish i could find one now

cattleskinner
07-13-2008, 05:52 PM
I've been into Marbles knives since my wife and I got together. Her family lives in Gladstone and also the Escanaba area, so it is kind of a no brainer for me to like this brand of knife. As a plus, they don't look too shabby either. I do think that I need to get FatnHappy's all wood handled Sport knife to round out the ones that I have.....whattaya say Deano??:-D

~Amos

jim4065
07-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Anyone have a Busse? Saw a "Knife Test" that was pretty intriguing. Don't really understand their website though - do they only have one model of knife for sale? Lots of "White Space" on the webpage, would have been nice if they had provided a bit more information.

It may be the type of thing where you're supposed to be glad they will condescend to sell you a knife. Here they are: http://www.bussecombat.com/home/index.shtml

Pricey devils.

fatnhappy
07-16-2008, 11:27 PM
fatnhappy,
I called Marble's and they said that all their fixed blade knives are still made in Gladstone, Michigan. That said, I am going to look more closely at Case knives, which are apparently all still made in the US. I'll pay a premium, and gladly, for quality goods made right here (assumng that the quality is there).
Bob K

you were lied to

fatnhappy
07-16-2008, 11:29 PM
I've been into Marbles knives since my wife and I got together. Her family lives in Gladstone and also the Escanaba area, so it is kind of a no brainer for me to like this brand of knife. As a plus, they don't look too shabby either. I do think that I need to get FatnHappy's all wood handled Sport knife to round out the ones that I have.....whattaya say Deano??:-D

~Amos

I say hang on to the safety sport99, they aren't making them anymore. I do like the gamegetter handles, for no other reason than they're easy to clean. the ergonomics are a bonus.

Uncle Grinch
07-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Addicted to the damn things - don't know why. Wish we had a sub-forum about 'em.

Just bought a Puma 3 bladed folder on ebay for $30 - turned out to be made in China, and it's not an IP.

Jim,

I also love knives, but my love is damascus. Something about them that really strikes me as unique and beauitiful.

If you are interested, take a look at Larry Pridgen's web site. He does excellent work.

http://www.pridgencustomknives.com/intro.htm

My son bought these two for me....

crabo
07-23-2008, 09:39 PM
My mother gave me this tomahawk. Back when she was a student nurse at the University of Kansas, she was in an eye treatment room in the hospital. They kept the room darkened for the eye patients. There was a big Indian who was pretending to be asleep. When my mother went over to wake him up, he jumped up and yelled “Boo!”

He evidently scared her quite badly. In fact, he felt so bad, that he said that he would make it up to her. About six months later, the head teaching nurse called her in and he was there with some presents for her. He had a beaded purse, a pair of moccasins, and this tomahawk. It has a stone head. I would like to think that they hair is from human scalps, but I doubt it.

It was against the rules for my mother to accept a gift from a patient, but the head nurse said it was okay for her to take them, considering the circumstances. I’m glad she did. I may have to put these in a shadow box.

The SOG tomahawk was given to me from a good friend.

I've got a couple of knives, a Randall Alaskan Skinner, basic Glock, and a Morseth. The Morseth was given to me, along with the book, with a picture of a Morseth on the cover, on my birthday before she died.

Crabo

buck1
07-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Solingen! That name demands my undivided attn! Eye brand gets my blood to pumping!! But its got to be that old carbon steel!
I would also like to see a knife section!.............Buck

REDTAIL
09-15-2008, 10:45 PM
i have a couple of schrade made here in NYS when the factory was still producing here, i also have some great knives made by cold steel which today are also made in china with cold steel's life time warrenty against defects etc, seems like nothing is made in the good old USA anymore "cooley labor"

bandit7.5
09-15-2008, 11:00 PM
I have one of the little brass frame eyebrand knives real cute got it in a box of schrades i Bought at auction.
Schrade
Schrade+
OldTimer
Uncle Henry
George Schrade the first patented switch blade
Anyone ever use one of the old schrade boyscout messkits with the wire frame knife and fork.Got the fork still looking for the knife.

09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Never got into knives. Used them of course as tools. Carried one in my pocket since 5 yrs old and all through school. (I think that is some kind of serious offense these days :roll:)

Well made Damascus would be my choice if I ever get into serious collecting.

Did find one the other day at a yard sale for near nothing. I think these were pretty serious and well made.

WWII M3 Trench/Fighting Knife. An original M6 sheath for it to rest in will be hard to come by me thinks.

testhop
09-16-2008, 10:02 PM
of all the great knives you missed anotergreat one it is the QUEEN i carried 2 modals 36
for 30 years but i lost one and broked one i called queen toget repl;acemeent i was told the modal had been discontinualed thay would not help not even to repair mine i told them i would pay

Ivantherussian03
09-18-2008, 01:02 AM
I always go for the inexpensive knives. I had a shrade as my primary hunting knife in the field. My buddy lost it cutting up a moose in 3 ft of water--low investment low attachment. I use my good knives on dry land and in the meat shed. My good knives are usually hand made, and very task specific. The closer you get blue steel the better knife, as far sharpening it. Green River blade blanks are good, as well others.

Ivantherussian03
09-18-2008, 02:18 AM
I would be curious to see how everyone keeps their knives sharp?

jim4065
09-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Sharpening! I'm using crock sticks, a butcher steel, and the Lansky set-up. I'm a sucker for every new knife sharpening tool - always looking to get to "scarey-sharp".

carpetman
09-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Years ago--before Romex wire, houses were wired with what was called knobs and tubes. A hole was drilled through rafters and a tube was inserted and the wire ran through. This tube had a bulge on one end so it would not go through the hole. I haven't tried it,but I hear the tube makes a great sharpener--it's porcelain or ceramic and would be akin to crock sticks. The knob was two pieces of same material and had nail through the pieces. Wire was ran between those two pieces and it the knob was nailed down. My dad had stocked up on those things and the Romex came out so he was stuck with a bunch of them. They can still be found in the attics of older homes. In fact if any of you happen to have a spare tube I'd like to have one.

Leadforbrains
09-18-2008, 06:53 PM
I would be curious to see how everyone keeps their knives sharp?

Lansky diamond kit and sometimes a large DMT diamond bench stone. I used to use Norton India stones and Arkansas whet stones. I still have them, but I don't use them as much anymore.

Ivantherussian03
09-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Lansky diamond kit and sometimes a large DMT diamond bench stone. I used to use Norton India stones and Arkansas whet stones. I still have them, but I don't use them as much anymore.

How does Lansky diamond kit work? Good or bad?

MtGun44
09-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Lansky kit is great. In my experience the diamond wears out (off)
too quick to make the diamond 'stones' a good deal. OTOH, the
regular stones are great and seem to last real well. I can sharpen
fine without it, but it saves steel on the blade by ensuring that you
use the same angle each time, so minimum steel is ground off.

Also, easy for a beginner to get good results.

Bill

yondering
09-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Diamond stones are only necessary for very hard steel and ceramic blades; they actually don't work as well on normal good knife steel, the non-diamond stones are better.

I do like the Lansky system a lot. It's quick to re-sharpen (first time might take longer) a blade, and puts on a nice professional looking edge. I use my Lansky (non diamond) kit for all my blades, finishing with the 600 grit stone with only the stone's weight or a little more on the blade. Then I strop the blade, using a piece of old leather belt glued to a 2x2, imbedded with white buffing compound. This gives a good blade an edge that can shave hair without touching the skin.

Those Mora's are excellent blades that take an incredible edge. I prefer the carbon steel, but the stainless is very good too; much better than many high dollar "name brand" knives.

Here's a blade I made last year; still working on the wood handles though. Anneal and then heat treat were done over wood coals in my woodstove. Temper was done in the kitchen oven to a strong golden-yellow color. Then I electro-etched the blade for a satin finish, and applied some cold blue.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/zthang43/Knives/IMG_1312.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/zthang43/Knives/IMG_1314.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/zthang43/Knives/IMG_1313.jpg

Leadforbrains
09-19-2008, 06:37 AM
They have worked great for me. They put a good edge on some of the knives that I have found hard to put an edge on. Especially the knives of some of my friends that are duller than a rail road spike. I like the Lansky for the reason that MTNGun44 gave. It is true that you may eventually replace some of the diamond stones in the kit. I have had to replace a couple over the years. I have also had some of the stones including the non diamond ones come off the plastic holder. I just epoxied these back on and they were as good as new. I can sharpen just fine with a whetstone or any flat stone as well. It is not to hard to learn. My dad taught me when I was very young. Being able to sharpen a knife is a good thing. Most people I know can't or won't take the time to learn.

Nice looking work Yondering. I hope you post another picture when you get her finished.

Alvin in AZ
09-23-2008, 03:31 AM
Here's a blade I made last year; still working on the wood handles though.
Anneal and then heat treat were done over wood coals in my woodstove.
Temper was done in the kitchen oven to a strong golden-yellow color.
Then I electro-etched the blade for a satin finish, and applied some cold blue.

Cool! :)

There's something about a knife blade made from an old file that guys like! :)

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/green6392.jpg

The sheepsfoot blade broke because I over-heated the blade when "re-" heat
treating it. All the blades are old files and "rusty old steel" has some problems
with re-heat treatment anyway. (hydrogen) But this one was my fault. Used
that knife for a couple years before I broke it tho. The blades are hard enough
to scratch glass.

Got a blank blanked out in a shape similar to yours right now, but haven't heat
treated it yet. It's made from a thinner-than-usual "hoof rasp". :)

Rasps are about "1080 to 1095" compared to your "1.22% carbon steel" file. :)

Alvin in AZ
ps- I need to get my scanner going again

Lloyd Smale
09-23-2008, 06:34 AM
there are three big knife makers where i live. Well two anyway as marbles has moved to texas and doesnt make knives anymore they contract them out overseas. I sold every marble knife i own when they did it. they went from a good old boy knife making company to a bunch of corporate yuppys thats only consern is the bottom line. Luckily two of there best knife makers branched out and started there own companys. One is Rapid river knife company and the other is bark river knife company. Both make an excellent product that in my opinion is better then anything marble ever put out even in there best years. Its a dirty crime as Marbles was a company that every young boy up here grew up with. I dont know a single friend of mine that didnt get a marble knife for Christmas when they were young. I even sold the one dad gave me for my 10th birthday!!

10-x
09-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Lloyd,
Sad to say but marble's is typical of way to much of America's industry, large or small. Manufacturing is the basis for any nations survival. Our industrial base has been going overseas for 30+ years, the recent crash is evidence of what a "service" based economy looks like. What goes around, comes around.:([/SIZE]

Leadforbrains
09-23-2008, 07:40 PM
That is a complete shame Lloyd to hear that Marbles went that way. I purchased a Marbles Plainsman with the jigged bone handles a couple of years ago. I like it alot because it kind of reminded me of an old carbon steel Schrade-Walden that my Grandfather use to carry when we were deer hunting. I like the knife. It is scary sharp after a little time on the stone. I plan on keeping it, but after reading what you posted I probably not buy another Marbles product. I am Liking the look of the Hess Knives though.

TCLouis
09-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Don't remember where I saw the link (maybe 24 HR Campfire) but the Mora's are 1/2 what I paid for mine about 10-15 models (appears to me handle color change on many) listed. I love carbon/hate SS so may buy a few more to give to folks.

Lloyd Smale
09-24-2008, 07:16 AM
it really hit home around here. All there lifetime employees were put out on the street with not even a thankyou. I guess it hit home to because this is such a rural area and people read all the time about companys going oversees but it allways seemed so far away. When a company as all american as marbles sells out to the bean counters it just hits hard. To me buying there product is about like buying a new american flag for my pole that was made in china!! Aint happening!
Lloyd,
Sad to say but marble's is typical of way to much of America's industry, large or small. Manufacturing is the basis for any nations survival. Our industrial base has been going overseas for 30+ years, the recent crash is evidence of what a "service" based economy looks like. What goes around, comes around.:([/SIZE]

missionary5155
09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Those Gerber Dimand shapeners are good ! Somewhere I bought a fine and Medium and they will flat sharpen a knife.. gotta figure out some kind of blade guide to use with then... some days my calibrated inner guide gets off tract.

waksupi
04-02-2009, 12:03 AM
We were talking about knives in chat, Thought I would pull this one back up.

bandit7.5
04-05-2009, 10:49 PM
I have one of the little brass frame eyebrand knives real cute got it in a box of schrades i Bought at auction.
Schrade
Schrade+
OldTimer
Uncle Henry
George Schrade the first patented switch blade
Anyone ever use one of the old schrade boyscout messkits with the wire frame knife and fork.Got the fork still looking for the knife.

Schrade made more than the Boy Scout messkit in the wire frame
I have a hawkbill with a 4'' blade and a trapper with a 4.25'' blade
These are very sharp, very old and very much still used every day,:drinks:

jim4065
04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
How many of you make knives? I bought a couple of books and some slabs of wood for handle material, but never did much more than starting to grind a 12" file. Tough work!

henrywirz
04-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Went to a gun show this weekend and picked up a nice little Buck 385 "toothpick" it's made in China but it's a heck of a knife. It was 10 bucks and worth every cent. Damn shame about it being made in China.

I have several knifes I match them to my wardrobe. The way I figure if the the wife can have 17 pairs of shoes I can have 17 different pocket knifes. BTW I still have my old Boy Scout Knife - I can't get enough of the things.

jim4065
05-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Thinkin' about getting a "Multi-Tool" before going on vacation this summer. Had a Gerber but lost it. I hear a lot about Leatherman - but there are too many varieties to keep up with. What's the best "all-around" multi-tool type of knife?

mtgrs737
05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Anyone know where the two Browning kives that Midway has in their June flyer are made? I am boycotting China stuff every chance I get!

Heavy lead
05-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Anyone know where the two Browning kives that Midway has in their June flyer are made? I am boycotting China stuff every chance I get!

I do not know, but I've always liked Browning knives, they used to be made in Japan and were very good quality. With that said I bought two of them last winter and while the quality was ok on them (not as good as before) they were both made in China, a dissappointment. I also bought a Uncle Henry steelhead fillet knife, as I have an old one (probably 20 years old) and have used it so much it is literally wearing thin (best fillet knife I ever owned, it's just right as far as flex and shape) what a piece of China garbage that is, must be low carbon, rusts up just touching air as is so thin and soft it bends and won't spring back. So for sure stay away from the "new" Schrade knives made there.

Tristan
05-31-2009, 10:46 PM
I've always preferred the Old Timer brand of pocket knives that were manufactured by Schrade, as carbon steel is easier to sharpen, and in my experience will take and hold and edge better than stainless. When Schrade closed their doors a few years ago I bought enough of my favorite models to last until they put me in a box.

Recently, I noticed some ads for Old Timer models that had stainless blades. Further investigation revealed that thes knives are being produced in China by an outfit called Taylor Brands. These people also handle a Chinese made line of knives marketed by S&W.

It is a shame that these companies, that built their reputations through the labor of American craftsmen, will prostitute that good name and eliminate U.S. jobs for a few pieces of silver.

Well, in the case of Schrade I don't think they're prostituting themselves out, the brand name was purchased after they closed up (IIRC it was a bankruptcy) and Taylor brands is using it to convince folks to buy their made in china goods.

Seems like most everything is smoke and mirrors, these days.

- Tristan

testhop
05-31-2009, 11:29 PM
i used to carry 2 queen mod 36 folders ,for 25 years or so . lost one broke one and have unable to find replace them ,i fell .undress without them
if you know where 2 are please let me know.

troy_mclure
06-01-2009, 11:56 PM
How many of you make knives? I bought a couple of books and some slabs of wood for handle material, but never did much more than starting to grind a 12" file. Tough work!

ive made dozens, never from files and stuff.

ive used rebar to good effect several times, and stainless steel 'O' rings as well.
made a big hatchet like knife from a leaf spring from a van.

ive used an oxy/acetylene torch, coal, charcoal, and propane to heat the metal before hammering it.

06-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks waksupi for reminding me of how addicted I've become! :roll:

Several years ago a knife was nothing more than a tool to me. They have become a weakness, a true addiction! Don't know why. Guess that's said about any impulsive behavior.

Here's a pic of a few showing the severity of the affliction!:(

Top- Afghan Pesh Kabz

Middle two- Sheffield Bowies

Bottom- Buck 102 shortened/ modified point- my "giturdun" hunting knife for past 30 yrs (yes that's orange paint on handle- easier to find in tall grass and vegetation)

Largest - the clip point Bowie 14"
Smallest- the Buck 102 7 3/4"

armyrat1970
06-03-2009, 06:19 AM
A Buck with a 3 1/2" or 3 3/4" lockback blade is my favorite carry knife. Also my K-Bar.