PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder of news print metal. What may this be?

Dadswickedammo
02-27-2017, 12:15 AM
Came across a few broken half round cast news print from the 70s looks like what I remember an offset press drum looked like. It is the complete front pages of the news paper broke in half. Linotype?

Dusty Bannister
02-27-2017, 11:16 AM
I am thinking that they were made in two pieces so they could be installed in the press. And it is likely lino. Give it a tap and see if it rings and if you already have them in hand, break off a corner and examine for a very fine almost dusty looking sparkling grain structure.

runfiverun
02-27-2017, 12:55 PM
and if you can't break it by just hitting it with a hammer or bending it with some pliers.
it could be zinc.
I know they used to make some smaller permanent [like advertisement] pieces from zinc and would insert them as needed here and there.
I have 2-3 plates for automobile adverts around here somewhere that are copper/brass/bronze? backed and zinc faced.

colchester
02-27-2017, 07:37 PM
The examples of that material I have encountered have a bit more tin and antimony than linotype. Those drums were cast in a specialized machine over a thick paper mat. that was "embossed" with print to create a mold. The metal that was used in this process was usually stereotype the alloy was 80-6-14.They were usually mounted next to each other on the press cylinder Those drum halves were in the 40-50 pound range IIRC

Dadswickedammo
02-27-2017, 08:53 PM
Thank you for the info. This is broken when whole looks to have been a 3/4 cylinder from the s.f. chronicle front page early 70s about 30lb think I'm going to pick it up buck a lb.

Dadswickedammo
02-27-2017, 09:32 PM
Thank you for the info. This is broken when whole looks to have been a 3/4 cylinder from the s.f. chronicle front page early 70s about 30lb think I'm going to pick it up buck a lb.Thank

Sasquatch-1
02-28-2017, 07:00 AM
The plates I saw used by the old Washington Star newspaper in the mid 70's till they closed were photo etched I believe. Don't know what the metal was but I would not mix it with the good lead until I was sure. Might do a little in 2-3 pounds of lead just to see what happens. Also if this is at a scrap yard see if they can give you an analysis of it.

ioon44
02-28-2017, 09:36 AM
When I get a piece of metal that I am not sure of I put a drop of acid on it and see what the reaction is. I have found some large printing blocks that were zinc.