PDA

View Full Version : German pewter plate hallmark and question

Vulcan Bob
02-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Hi there everybody, found my second piece, a 9 inch plate that appears to be pewter. I can bend the edges easily. Found a pic of this German "angel" hallmark here in the "hallmark sticky thread" and borrowed the pic for use on this forum only. Only had the hallmark and "ges gesch" patent no mention of pewter. Now the question, when I used my snips to cut up the 9 inch plate I made two parallel cuts into the edge about one inch long then bent by hand and the piece snapped off. Seems too brittle to me but then I am new to this sort of thing. I read that German pewter is 85% tin and the rest is antimony and arsenic, would this make the thin stuff brittle? I am wondering is this pewter? Any thoughts would be welcome!

William Yanda
02-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Following this as I found a similar plate-1.5 lbs. or so.

CastingFool
02-26-2017, 10:48 PM
If the item is not stamped "pewter" I don't buy it. Do a search on Wikepidia about English Pewter. They can explain it much better than I can.

imashooter2
02-27-2017, 01:15 AM
In my experience, the high relief decorative plates break up pretty easily. The spun plates will bend over flat without cracking. No real idea why the difference. Beaded angel hallmarks are fairly common.