PDA

View Full Version : Range Scrap - Would It Be Worth It To You?

308Jeff
02-26-2017, 03:35 PM
The place I went to last weekend is now closed to shooting. The "range" covers an area approximately 100' Wide by 400' Long. There's no chance of using a shovel and a screen, the ground is far too rocky to even get a shovel full of earth. BUT, there are plenty of bullets laying right on top of the ground. Two of us hand picked about 19lbs in an hour. I'm estimating the coverage is maybe 1 bullet per 1-2sf. Probably closer to the latter.

If it were you, would you make the effort? It's pretty much all hands and knees.

farmerjim
02-26-2017, 03:42 PM
That's about $7 an hour each for your work. You be the judge.

I would get a backhoe and make a grizzly bar screen to get the large rocks out. Then screen whats left.

dragon813gt
02-26-2017, 04:09 PM
That's how I do it at the ranges I belong to. We're not allowed to touch the berms. I do it for maybe half an hour and what I pick up is what I pick up. I don't see it as a way yo acquire a lot of lead. I look at it as a way to get back some of what I shot.

country gent
02-26-2017, 05:21 PM
You might try a stiff broom rake to pull them into a pile and then the shovel like using a dust pan. A garden rack would be better other than the teeth are spaced to far apart. A stiff broom rake may pull the bullets along leaving rocks and dirt behind

308Jeff
02-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Well I found out that between this weekend and last weekend, BLM fenced the area off. It's not posted, but apparently we're not allowed on our land anymore.

GRUMPA
02-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Your better off driving around to tire shops, you'll soon find out it's easier and cheaper. Berm mining is OK in a lot of places, but down where you are those berms are further away and takes longer than finding wheel weights at a tire store.

Been there done that when I lived off Bell Rd and I-17 and drove north, not much luck. Even up here in the remoteness of the wide open north I can't go mining. Not only would it be a 3hr trip at best, most folks around here just step out the door and plink away. Even the tire shops here are holding what seems like bidding wars on the stuff, no thanks, I'll just keep getting it in the S&S section and have it delivered.

grullaguy
02-26-2017, 09:52 PM
I like picking bullets as a form of recreation.

No hard decision for me.

308Jeff
02-26-2017, 10:21 PM
Your better off driving around to tire shops, you'll soon find out it's easier and cheaper. Berm mining is OK in a lot of places, but down where you are those berms are further away and takes longer than finding wheel weights at a tire store.

Been there done that when I lived off Bell Rd and I-17 and drove north, not much luck. Even up here in the remoteness of the wide open north I can't go mining. Not only would it be a 3hr trip at best, most folks around here just step out the door and plink away. Even the tire shops here are holding what seems like bidding wars on the stuff, no thanks, I'll just keep getting it in the S&S section and have it delivered.

You're right, and I have had some success lately.

I like picking bullets as a form of recreation.

No hard decision for me.

I get it. It was therapeutic for me as well.