PDA

View Full Version : Pork boston butt with many fixins

Love Life
02-26-2017, 01:44 PM
The boston butt has been in the oven for a couple hours now, with a couple more hours left. We will be making jalapeno slaw and hush puppies as sides for those who want it shredded for sandwiches. We will be making mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, and carrots with rolls who prefer it sliced.

What do you all have cooking this Sunday?

jmort
02-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Envy
Just had a microwave burrito

Love Life
02-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Envy
Just had a microwave burrito

Hop in the car and drive a couple hours.

308Jeff
02-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Dang that sounds good...

Walkingwolf
02-26-2017, 01:50 PM
I miss eating pork, would love to have some marinated mojo pork(Cuban). But my heart doctor says that is a no no.

I wonder if that is how my heart got plugged up to start with from Cuban food in South Florida.

farmerjim
02-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Grilled Tuna, little potatoes, artichoke hearts, green beans homemade bread .

I love to cook those pork roasts for about 12 hours on my gas smoker.

TCFAN
02-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Boston pork butts.....My favorite meat to smoke in my kamado ceramic cooker.I smoked 3 pork butts last Thursday for a all church singing dinner Friday night. Cooked them 12+ hours till they were 200* internal temp. Fall off the bone tender. Lump charcoal with Apple wood with a cooking temp. of 225-250*. Very easy to do and very tasty............Terry

PB234
02-26-2017, 04:01 PM
Steak cooked sous-vide to medium rare and some asparagus. Maybe make a wine/mushroom/butter sauce to go with it or just serve some finishing salt. Sometimes I will do a piece of chuck for a long time sous-vide. It turns out like a piece of steak, but with even better meaty taste and at a fifth of the cost. Shame we have given up bread as home made rolls/bread would be great with it. Also given up carbs so no potatoes or anything like that. Given up desert or would have made a pie or cake to go along with it. Ice water with a slice of lemon for a beverage. Sundays are my family day where enjoying the company of my family is at the top of my list and dinner an important time.

Would love to go hog hunting and get a small one to put on the smoker whole. Just feeling a bit old to climb up a tree so the hog doesn't put me on its smoker. Probably time to look for somewhere with a stand to hunt from in NC or SC. Maybe get two and use one for all of the Italian recipes that say comfort food.

Love Life
02-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Bread making is definitely something I want to get into.

The butt is resting now before it goes back in for a high heat crisping. Hush puppy batter is mixed and ready for the fryer, and the gravy I ready for me to apply heat.

Almost eating time!!! I also have me a jar of Washington Market BBQ sauce.

dragon813gt
02-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Bread making is definitely something I want to get into.

If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer I can give you a simple white bread recipe that takes about five minutes to make.

Wish I was eating what you're making. It's left over Chinese food tonight :beer:

Love Life
02-26-2017, 06:30 PM
I don't have a kitchen Aid. I do all my mixing with Randall made knives and all my slicing with a karate chop!

On a serious note, I would like to try your recipe.

frankenfab
02-26-2017, 06:37 PM
Love Life, I would like to hear your jalapeņo cole slaw recipe.

Love Life
02-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Steak cooked sous-vide to medium rare and some asparagus. Maybe make a wine/mushroom/butter sauce to go with it or just serve some finishing salt. Sometimes I will do a piece of chuck for a long time sous-vide. It turns out like a piece of steak, but with even better meaty taste and at a fifth of the cost. Shame we have given up bread as home made rolls/bread would be great with it. Also given up carbs so no potatoes or anything like that. Given up desert or would have made a pie or cake to go along with it. Ice water with a slice of lemon for a beverage. Sundays are my family day where enjoying the company of my family is at the top of my list and dinner an important time.

Would love to go hog hunting and get a small one to put on the smoker whole. Just feeling a bit old to climb up a tree so the hog doesn't put me on its smoker. Probably time to look for somewhere with a stand to hunt from in NC or SC. Maybe get two and use one for all of the Italian recipes that say comfort food.

I genuinely enjoy cooking for people. Sunday dinner is important to us too.

Love Life
02-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Love Life, I would like to hear your jalapeņo cole slaw recipe.

I'll get the recipe posted.

Moonie
02-26-2017, 11:31 PM

You should try smoking a boston butt for about 4 hours then sous vide at about 148F for 48 hours, it falls apart and then melts in your mouth when you eat it.

Scorpion8
02-26-2017, 11:47 PM
Chili dogs and steak fries. Great cold weather comfort food.

Wayne Smith
02-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Tea smoked a chicken for a try - don't particularly like it. I'll go back to the Lemon/Rosemary chicken,

MaryB
02-27-2017, 11:37 PM
Burger and onion rings from the bar and only restaurant in town... no energy to cook tonight. New kitten discovered me in bed 2 nights ago so lack of sleep! He wants to play and be petted...

Hogtamer
03-01-2017, 04:22 PM
LL,
Bet you don't have a set-up this nice !

opos
03-01-2017, 06:05 PM
I'm going to offer some ideas for dessert....I don't cook but got a Daughter in Law that is a professional cook with a hugely successful blog (over a million hits last Thanksgiving alone in one day)...free for the looking but be careful...5 minutes of browsing will add 20 pounds...If I get started on the "pie section" I'm a goner...hope this tops off your great meal.

http://www.crazyforcrust.com/

PB234
03-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Love Life, if bread is something you plan on baking two terrific cookbooks are the King Arthur Baking one available used on eBay for well under $8 including shipping or this one The Bread Bible Hardcover – October 17, 2003
by Rose Levy Beranbaum (https://www.amazon.com/Rose-Levy-Beranbaum/e/B000APEDSA/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1) which presents more complex recipes potentially requiring mail ordering some ingredients but producing breads that are as satisfying as cake. The King Arthur recipes are more along the lines of good home cooking. eBay is the place to buy used cookbooks.

If you want to visit Italy by baking try to get hold of The Italian Baker by Carol Field. The newer edition has pictures which the old one doesn't and a picture is worth a thousand words here.

Baking is really very easy. Just a question of repetitions to get to the point where things feel right and understanding inherent. Having given up carbs I have moved onto BBQ. I can make a heck of a pie, but can't eat it anymore; cakes and bread too. Pasta is a past memory as is even Mac and Cheese. African American pies are well worth investigating as is Soul Food overall. Cooking modest ingredients into festive and wonderful meals is another interest of mine. All around the world people have learned how to turn modest ingredients into feasts far more interesting and better than a steak or roast.

Best baking to you,

PB234

Cook books have a fairly short shelf life at retail and often turn up used for pennies on the dollar and remain the same wealth of information as when new.