PDA

View Full Version : In Mo now

bbs70
02-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Swmbo and I have lived in Mo for 3 months now, from Il.
You know ,Il where the last 4 governors are in prison, and where most of the politicians should be.

Anyhow we are still adjusting to life in the country and in Mo.
We went to a gun show yesterday, Swmbo saw a gun she liked.
Price seemed good, we talked it over then talked to the dealer.
Asked if I bought it when and where I could pick it up since we lived 1 1/2 hrs away.
To my surprise he said as soon he called in for a back ground check and paper work and paid for it, I could take it immediately :shock:
AS I said we're formerly from Il born and raised and there is a 3 day waiting period before you can pick up a gun you purchased (24 hrs for a long gun).
The more I'm in this state the more I like it.

Idaho45guy
02-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Was driving through MO when my trailer axle broke. Pulled over on the side of the interstate on the mowed grass shoulder, kneeled down to confirm the axle was beyond repair, unhooked the trailer, drove into the nearest town and to a Perkins for dinner. Felt something crawling on my legs. Discovered 4-5 ticks from being in Missouri grass for 10 seconds.

My ex moved there as well. They deserve each other...

I guess one would prefer a crappy state if they moved there from a crappier state...

jmort
02-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Missouri is not for everyone.
I have been to every state, and I like it here in the Ozarks best of all.
I prefer it to Idaho, and would never live in Washington.

TCFAN
02-26-2017, 03:16 PM
If you don't like ticks and chiggers then this is not the place for you. Otherwise it is a great state to live in especially the Ozarks........Terry

Preacher Jim
02-26-2017, 03:20 PM
Welcome to freedom we may have ticks and chargers but our politicians are for the most part gun friendly away from the cities.

Hannibal
02-26-2017, 03:25 PM
Other than my military service, I've lived in Missouri my entire life. Ticks and chiggers, yeah. But they are a small problem compared to the blood-sucking parasites in other places. :p

Paper Puncher
02-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Other than my military service, I've lived in Missouri my entire life. Ticks and chiggers, yeah. But they are a small problem compared to the blood-sucking parasites in other places. :p

I do recall a rather large population of voracious "blood-sucking parasites" (mosquitoes LOL) while living there.

WebMonkey
02-26-2017, 03:39 PM
ozarks is the coolest!

welcome home!

Smoke4320
02-26-2017, 03:40 PM
You can spray for ticks not so for politicians

Hannibal
02-26-2017, 03:59 PM
I do recall a rather large population of voracious "blood-sucking parasites" (mosquitoes LOL) while living there.

The ones I was referring to are bipeds.

slownsteady22
02-26-2017, 04:01 PM
I lived in Missouri for 35 years we have four seasons a great hunting season and vast Woodlands

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

deep creek
02-26-2017, 04:12 PM
i gotta have my mountains and sagebrush,quakeys lava rock and pines.and we have no problems with people wanting to take our guns.IDAHO!!

jmort
02-26-2017, 04:16 PM
ozarks is the coolest!

welcome home!

Yes indeed
Welcome Home

bedbugbilly
02-26-2017, 04:31 PM
We drive through MO twice a year as we travel back and forth between MI and AZ. My wife doesn't care for it all that much but I love it - the scenery is great and I love the rolling hills and mountains along with the woodlands. I could easily see myself in a rural area with hills and woods - a little slice of heaven. They might have ticks but hey, we have them in Michigan as well. My advice is if you don't like them, move to the city where there's nothing but asphalt and cement - but you'll still probably have them. I was brought up on a farm and we still live on the farm in MI - rural life isn't for everybody but for those that love such things - it's hard not to love MO and other places like it.

It might not be true as I think I read it on the "net" . . . . but as far as Illinois - isn't Kalifornia about ready to annex it? :-)

bbs70
02-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Everyone is different with different ideas of where the best place is to live.
I worked with a guy or two who retired to Florida, and they simply love it there.
NO thank you too much sand and not too much in the way of hills and trees.
Some prefer Alaska, not me, too cold, but that's me.
Swmbo and I have always liked hills, forests, and beautiful scenery.
We were looking for a place in Mo for 30 years and finally found what we wanted just in time for retirement.
Next to the Mark Twain Forest, crystal clear streams, hills, beautiful scenery, and nice people for the most part.
Illinois had mosquitos, ticks, snakes, and chiggers.
So does Mo, but I can put up with that in order to play in the forest, canoe and float in the streams, and sit and relax in the summer with my feet in the ice cold crystal clear creek water sipping tea with my wife & mutts.
Life is good

bbs70
02-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Heard this AM that a senator or something like that wants to do away with the Illinois FOID card.
Nope, Not going back

trebor44
02-26-2017, 05:31 PM
Was driving through MO when my trailer axle broke. Pulled over on the side of the interstate on the mowed grass shoulder, kneeled down to confirm the axle was beyond repair, unhooked the trailer, drove into the nearest town and to a Perkins for dinner. Felt something crawling on my legs. Discovered 4-5 ticks from being in Missouri grass for 10 seconds.

My ex moved there as well. They deserve each other...

I guess one would prefer a crappy state if they moved there from a crappier state...

Idaho has lots of ticks and chiggers, think Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever! We also have lots of buzz worms (Rattlesnakes) to keep us entertained. I don't think I have ever traveled in Idaho, Oregon or Washington and not been concerned about crawly or slithery things except in snow covered country.

As a long time resident of the Northwest, there are lots of places that I fear to tread when the crawlers and slithers abound. Deet on your skin, Permethrin on your clothes and snake loads in your weapon work wonders, never leave home without them!

Idaho45guy
02-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Idaho has lots of ticks and chiggers, think Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever! We also have lots of buzz worms (Rattlesnakes) to keep us entertained. I don't think I have ever traveled in Idaho, Oregon or Washington and not been concerned about crawly or slithery things except in snow covered country.

As a long time resident of the Northwest, there are lots of places that I fear to tread when the crawlers and slithers abound. Deet on your skin, Permethrin on your clothes and snake loads in your weapon work wonders, never leave home without them!

Have you ever been to the Midwest? Minnesota? If you think Idaho has bugs, then you ain't seen nothing until you've tried to go into the woods in that region. Had a buddy of mine moved here from Wisconsin and was an avid outdoorsman. He told me we had no idea how blessed we were to be able to go into the woods nearly year round without massive amounts of bug spray. He moved back to Wisconsin for about a year for a job promotion and couldn't take it. He's in Colorado now.

And there are millions of square miles of forest near me where there are no rattlesnakes. No snakes of any kind except garter snakes. Don't want to be around rattlesnakes? Go higher in elevation and further North. I haven't seen one in 15 years since I was fishing along the Snake river by Lewiston in August.

Idaho45guy
02-26-2017, 08:42 PM
ozarks is the coolest!

welcome home!

You see, that, to me, is just plain ugly. Low hills with brushy deciduous forest filled with bugs and copperheads.

This is where I explore the outdoors... About an hour from my front door...

Or if I want to drive West to the Olympic Peninsula area of Washington...

From one of my fishing trips last Summer on the Coeur D'alene river...

woodbutcher
02-26-2017, 08:45 PM
[smilie=1:Hi Smoke.Just depends on what you`re spraying with.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

xs11jack
02-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Spent my first 35 years in Wisconsin. So when I struck up a conversation with a couple at the vets office last week, they said they occasionally took vacations in Wis. I told them that they should pack their body weight in DEET before going there. They looked at me a little funny, imagine that!!
Ole Jack

Thumbcocker
02-26-2017, 08:56 PM
I got to see a little of the interior of Florida. Out of sight of the ocean it is a very nice southern state.

dh2
02-26-2017, 10:25 PM
the Mo Ozarks is home to me the Army has sent me every where, But it is still a place that I want to get back to

trebor44
02-27-2017, 10:20 AM
While working in the backcountry or wilderness I always enjoyed eating my lunch on the run to keep the mosquitoes at bay so they wouldn't land inside my mouth when taking a bite. Ask my wife about the rattlesnake on Galena, and rattlesnakes are known to be encountered above 10,000 feet. Having worked and traveled from the Arizona to Montana through out the Rockies and beyond, the plus is we don't have Deer flies.

bedbugbilly
02-27-2017, 11:59 AM
bbs70 - sounds like you found your "little slice of heaven" - doesn't get any better than that!

I had to come back to this thread to just look at the photos again - great views and beautiful land. Those of Idaho are equally as good. Just goes to show you that "heaven" exists all over if you look hard enough! Beautiful scenes and photos - glad you all posted them!

HangFireW8
02-27-2017, 01:46 PM
That looks like a Winter shot of a home in the Ozarks. Not a fair comparison to a scenic shot during the green season.

-HF

Chili
02-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Swmbo and I have lived in Mo for 3 months now, from Il.
You know ,Il where the last 4 governors are in prison, and where most of the politicians should be.

Anyhow we are still adjusting to life in the country and in Mo.
We went to a gun show yesterday, Swmbo saw a gun she liked.
Price seemed good, we talked it over then talked to the dealer.
Asked if I bought it when and where I could pick it up since we lived 1 1/2 hrs away.
To my surprise he said as soon he called in for a back ground check and paper work and paid for it, I could take it immediately :shock:
AS I said we're formerly from Il born and raised and there is a 3 day waiting period before you can pick up a gun you purchased (24 hrs for a long gun).
The more I'm in this state the more I like it.

Welcome to freedom! We have yankees moving here every day and they usually make remarks similar to "I didn't know that was legal" or "You can really do that"? My Ol Lady has about 180 acres of land deeded to her by her family in MO and that is where we will end up living one day. Hopefully soon.

jmort
02-27-2017, 02:15 PM
That looks like a Winter shot of a home in the Ozarks. Not a fair comparison to a scenic shot during the green season.

-HF

Exactly
Green is coming soon

WebMonkey
02-27-2017, 07:28 PM
Yes. Taken last Thursday. Top of my ham radio tower looking over my 100 acres.
I've been called ugly before ;) the deer and turkey make up for it.
:)