PDA

View Full Version : Martini cadet in 222 rem

blackbahart
02-26-2017, 01:13 AM
Found for sale a neat auzzie cadet made into a light rifle chambered in 222rem .I am now the owner and it had weaver bases which promptly removed and did my tally thing with a shim and put on a small scope .Thats a oil smuge/light shin on the receiver
had it out today to do a bit of a sighting.
also pulled it apart to clean and examin the extractor which is well made 189058189059189060

map55b
02-26-2017, 03:14 AM
Spiffy!

BigEyeBob
03-03-2017, 05:32 AM
Bertram makes the brass for this calbre.I also have a Martini in 222 Rimmed , cracker of a cartridge , I load mine with ADI Benchmark 2
and the Hornady 50gn ZMax projectiles ,its one of my favourite rifles .
I popped a feral dog at 250 meters a few months back , dropped it like a stone .

Ballistics in Scotland
03-03-2017, 09:18 AM
It looks like an extremely nice rifle. Normally I would much prefer a rimmed round in a Cadet, but that rimless extractor looks far better than most I know of. Unless it was made from scratch (been there, done that, felt shamefaced about the time taken), it has been made from a BSA rimfire target rifle extractor.

In fact can you tell if that is what the rifle originally was? The forend is very like it. It makes just as good a conversion as any, especially the BSA 12, which brought in thicker action sides but preceded an angular cutout in the rear of the receiver for a large target receiver sight.

The snag about the centrefire Cadets for that rimless conversion is a sort of knobble on the front of the receiver mortice, which fits between the limbs of the rimmed extractor. I would chisel it away, using a specially made chisel bevelled on one side, like a less acute wood chisel. With a ¾in. block and shims, you could plane away a shallow layer at a time.

blackbahart
03-03-2017, 03:44 PM
In my post I did mention it is an australin cadet so it is a thin wall .The extractor is a complete purpose built .
It shoots great and super lite ,I think it will be a keeper after I get the reblue done .

I am going to carve up a few of these xtractors as it is the best design I have held in my hands for rimless
Peter